The Nez Percé: A Journal by Meriwether Lewis | Teen Ink

The Nez Percé: A Journal by Meriwether Lewis

By kaceykat SILVER, McGuire AFB, New Jersey
kaceykat SILVER, McGuire AFB, New Jersey

Date: September 20, 1805
Earlier today, when we had finally emerged from the Rocky/ Bitter root Mountains after our 11 day trek through them, we were in terrible condition. We were starving, exhausted, and soaked to the bone by the falling rain. Many of our horses died as we were passing through the mountains, including three colts that we forced to kill for food. The horses that were still alive were on the brink of starvation. Many men collapsed from exhaustion, starvation, and/ or relief that we had made it through the mountains alive. Looking over my men, I saw that the rain had not only drenched our clothes and bodies, but our spirits as well.
When I looked up, I saw a somewhat large group of men with spears, warily scrutinizing us. Sacagawea saw them too, for she approached them. The men, upon seeing a woman carrying an infant, lowered their spears, now assured that we were not a war party. They spoke with Sacagawea for some time. She told them of our condition, something I did not approve of because these men could still prove to be a threat to our mission. They told us of their people, the Nez Percé, and fed not only us, but our horses as well. They allowed us to rest and build our strength before we continued on our journey. I’m sure that without them, many of our men (and horses) would not have survived to see the sunrise tomorrow.

This was originally something I wrote as part of a history project on the Lewis and Clark expedition. It is written from Lewis's point of view.