Pink Chanel | Teen Ink

Pink Chanel

By Nutty14159951996 SILVER, Leesburg, Virginia
Nutty14159951996 SILVER, Leesburg, Virginia

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

“You look absolutely darling, Mrs. Kennedy!” the First Lady of Texas, Nellie Connally, comments. I softly brush my skirt and readjust my hat.

I put on my best smile and stand beside Jack as we prepare to walk off Air Force One. Nellie and I chat quietly while Jack and the Governor of Texas speak of political affairs. I tell Nellie about the White House restoration I am conducting.

“The walls of the China Room and Library needed to be redone; the wooden panels have simply been worn down,” I remark.

Jack holds out his hand to me as I climb down the steps of Air Force One.

The four of us, the President, Nellie and her husband, and I, get into an open limousine as we start our journey through Dallas. Clint, our Secret Service agent and my good friend, walks behind the limousine.

The streets are crowded with local citizens, all excited to see Jack and maybe even me. I sit in the back seat with Jack, and Nellie and her husband are in the front seat. We don’t speak much; we are preoccupied with waving to the enthusiastic crowd. I pinch the corner of my hat to prevent the wind from blowing it off.

Jack orders the motorcade to halt briefly so he can get out of the limousine and shake a few hands. I stand beside him and nod politely to each person who shook the President’s hand. The driver reminds us of our schedule, so we re-enter the limousine and start towards Dealey Plaza.

In the Plaza, the crowd erupts with cheers. Nellie turns around and smiles at us.

“Mr. President, you can’t say Dallas doesn’t love you.”

Jack smiles and nods. Nellie turns around again and continues the traditional waving. The motorcade turns onto the final street of the parade. I slide my hand across the seat to hold onto Jack’s.

Then came the deafening sounds. Three loud bangs. I whip my head to the right, toward Jack. His hand is at his throat. The Governor of Texas is bleeding. He screams. Nellie pulls her husband down onto the seat. I grab Jack’s arm. Clint runs toward the limousine. There’s another bang. I look at Jack. He puts his hand to his forehead and falls onto my lap.

sybcyb said...
Wearing her pretty pink Chanel suit on a beautiful friendly day in Dallas, with a single shot, Jacqueline gropes for the hand of her assisinated husband.  Brief and very emotional!  More realistic than CNN news.