Welcome to Alcatraz | Teen Ink

Welcome to Alcatraz

January 17, 2012
By MadiKins BRONZE, Sacramento, California
MadiKins BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 5 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
The most magical places aren't always on the trail, so it's up to you to stray from the set path and find them.
The future becomes the present & the present becomes the past. And there is always more past and less future with each moment wasted.


Isolation. That’s all there is on this god-forsaken rock. Loneliness. Something that becomes all too familiar for the people that live in this cage. There is little you can do to take you’r mind off where you are. Some read. Some paint. Some go crazy. But no one can ever completely forget where they are. Alcatraz. The word strikes fear into the hearts of criminals. “You break the rules, you go to prison. you break the prison rules, you go to Alcatraz.”

This is where I reside.

I had a pretty good life before I got thrown onto the Rock. A family. A girl. But something was always missing. Money. The problem was always money. Never enough of it. For nobody. The Depression hit us all pretty hard. So I decided to take some action. That’s how I got here. Me and my actions got caught. Now I have nothing. No family. No freedom. No life. No way out.

Welcome to Alcatraz.


The author's comments:
My family and I visited Alcatraz about a month ago, and I was inspired to write this story. Once we got back, I just wanted to write about a situation that may have happened there, to make the place feel more real to me. It was just something I wrote randomly in Spanish class and Im probably gonna expand more later.