Covert Patriot: part 1 | Teen Ink

Covert Patriot: part 1

INT. Interrogation-Somewhere in the Sayan Mountains, Russia, November 27th, 1963.
There is a man lying on a stone bed within a prison cell. A bright light flashes.
Flashback:
The same man is facing another man (his superior) and is being given his instructions.
Colonel Mills
You have shown tremendous talent and cunning in your training, I congratulate you on that.
Sullivan Daniels
Thank you sir.
Colonel Mills
But this is an actual CIA assigned, undercover mission. So both I and the rest of Central Intelligence expect you to surpass all of your achievements in training on this mission and bring us nothing short of results.
Sullivan Daniels
Yes sir, I won’t let you down sir.
Colonel Mills
Well let’s hope not, because if choose to except this mission, we’re sending you off with a one way ticket to the MOTHER LAND of communism. You will be acting as a spy within their networks, you will feed us news reports, military records, as much information as possible on the KGB and GRU, essentially anything that might be useful in defending America and crippling the Soviet Union. If you are discovered and/or captured, you will be on your own, the US government will deny any affiliation with you, and if by some miracle you mange to return to the States, you will be executed in order to maintain the cover up. Is that clear?
Sullivan Daniels
Sir, yes sir.
Colonel Mills
Alright then Daniels, what is your decision? Will you accept the mission?
Sullivan Daniels (ops)
(Hesitates)...I accept the mission sir.
Colonel Mills
Very good. Just one more thing then. While you are in Russia, we will be using code names to address one another covertly. My code name is to be Big eye. As for you Daniels, your code name will be, OPS.
Flashback-Report
OPS is kneeling down and listening to his superiors by way of a radio transmitter. The transmitter is resting inside a suit case belonging to OPS. He’s presumably within an apartment that is owned by him personally as part of his undercover operation.
Colonel Mills
OPS, it is possible that the President’s assassination was orchestrated by the Soviet Union’s KGB.
OPS
What about the GRU? I don’t see any reason to rule them out of them out in the list of suspects.
Colonel Mills
The GRU would need access to the KGB’s undercover operatives in America to achieve something at this scale, and that seems unlikely considering the two agencies have been competing for power within the Soviet Union for good number of years now.

OPS
Yes, but then it only makes more sense that the GRU would be involved. After all the KGB are favored by Kruschev, and his contact in America that he relied on the most for negotiations involving any particular situation that concerned the US and Russia was Kennedy. Not to mention Kruschev’s power with Russia’s military was beginning to dwindle a few years ago, and Kennedy was the one that kept him on his feet. So it makes sense that the GRU would want get rid of the President so they would be able to obtain Kruschev’s power and influence within the military. Besides, I’m pretty sure the GRU are more than capable enough to win over a KGB spy into their command.
Colonel Mills
Your theory has already been thought of OPS, we have people looking into it. Though I have a strong feeling that they won’t find anything that leads them to the GRU.
OPS
That so?
Colonel Mills
In any case, the CIA needs all the men it can get to uncover evidence concerning the matter.
OPS
And you want me to look into it?
Colonel Mills
Yes, whatever you are currently investigating must be put on hold for now. Your primary objective is to find out if the USSR was involved in President Kennedy’s assassination.
OPS
Understood, will I have any backup?
Colonel Mills
We initially sent in an undercover operative to work with you yes, but we lost contact with him almost immediately after he set foot into Russia.
OPS
So I’m on my own then?
Colonel Mills
We can’t afford to lose any more agents, and sending in too many for one particular investigation within enemy territory would attract unwanted attention.
OPS
Alright, I’ll report back when I’ve found something.
Colonel Mills
Good, and OPS?
OPS
Big eye?
Colonel Mills
If you find anything concerning the missing agent, please inform me, and me only.
OPS
Why?
Colonel Mills
It’s, well...personal.
Flashback-Attacked
OPS is walking down the side of the street when he’s jumped by four men. Quick flashes of the fight show fists being thrown, a big man lunging at OPS, and OPS himself collapsing on the pavement.
Interrogation-Cell
OPS jerks up from his slumber, he is wounded and covered in bloody bandages. He howls in pain at the sudden movement and leans up against the wall. Just then footsteps are heard and a black man appears at the cell door. He opens it.
ADAMSKA
Right on time. Excellent. It’s been exactly 12 hours since we administered the drug in to your system. Would have been easier had you not put up such a fight. I trust your dreams were well, spy?
OPS
What are you talking about?
ADAMSKA
Oh, please, drop the act. We know who your working for CIA dog, you should be more carful about covering your tracks, OPS.

OPS
Huh?
ADAMSKA
Or, would you prefer I called you Sullivan Daniels.
OPS
How did you...
ADAMSKA
You think America is the only nation with spies in other countries? The KGB has been work’n it’s way up through the CIA’s ranks for years now. Wasn’t hard to figure who and where you were.
OPS
Hm, sounds like you got the right guy. Who’re you?
ADAMSKA
My name is Major Adamska, and till four years ago, I was with MI6 under the name of Kojo Buan.
OPS
Kojo Buan? One of MI6’s interrogation specialists?
ADAMSKA
Ah, so you have heard of me? I am honored OPS.
OPS
And those guys who attacked me? They under your command?
ADAMSKA
Yeah, although will leave it at that for now.
OPS
What do you want from me? Where are we?
ADAMSKA
We’re are in the Sayan Mountains. Don’t worry, I’m willing to let you out of this place alive and in one piece. That is, if you can answer one, simple, question. How much do you know about Mother Russia’s operations?

OPS does not answer.
ADAMSKA
Well?
OPS still doesn’t answer.
ADAMSKA
Cat got your tung huh?
Adamska punches OPS against the wall, then slams his boot down on OPS’s groin.
ADAMSKA
Simply apply the right type of pain, to the right degree, at just the right location. It’s always been my policy for persuasion, and I’ve found it to be quite effective. So, you gonna tell me what I want to know western hound?
OPS
Why don’t you go ask your boys in the Pentagon! They should have access to all my transmissions!
ADAMSKA
Been done, they couldn’t find anything, so that means I am gonna need you to tell me.
OPS
Then I guess I’ll have to disappoint you!
ADAMSKA
That’s too bad, because I’d hate to have to continue persuading you like this, comrade.
Adamska kicks OPS in the face. OPS grunts in pain. Adamska then turns around and closes the cell door, locks it, and then looks at the wounded OPS through the bared window.
ADAMSKA
No, matter. We have plenty of time. Sooner or later, I’m sure it’ll all come back to you.
Adamska begins to walk away.
OPS
Wait!
Adamska stops and looks back at OPS.
OPS
This isn’t an official KGB mission is it? What happened to the other CIA operative? Tell me the truth Adamska!
ADAMSKA
If you’re referring to the agent that was sent to help you, he’s here. As for your other question, this is an official KGB mission, for now. (He smiles and turns away).
Adamska walks away laughing maniacally.
Escape-Fellow Prisoner
OPS is leaning up against the wall listening to Adamska walk away. A door some distance away is heard being closed.
???
OPS...so that's your codename, huh? It's got a nice ring to it.

OPS is shocked by the unexpected voice, and walks over to the bared window to see who is talking.
OPS
Who are you?
???
I'm just a prisoner, like you.

OPS
An American? How'd an American like you end up a prisoner in a place like this?
???
It's a long story. But never mind that. Don't you want to get out of here?
OPS
You know a way?
???
Take a good look under that bed See that duct? The cover comes right off. You can go through it to the next room.
OPS
How'd you know?

???
Cause I'm the one that took the cover off. But as luck would have it, they moved me to another cell right after that, so I never got a chance to use it. If you make it out, will you do a fellow prisoner a favor?

OPS
A favor?
???
Don't worry. You'll get something out of it, too.

OPS
Deal. I'll give it a shot.

OPS crawls through the air duct and ends up in the mens bathroom. A guard is sitting on the toilet. OPS takes out the guard with a hard swift chop in the head. He then strips him of his uniform and puts it on himself, as well as acquiring his AK-47 and Makarov PM/PMM. OPS then proceeds out of the bathroom and back to the jail cells. OPS walks up to the other man’s jail cell.
???
Finally! I was beginning to worry you’d been caught.
OPS
Nice of you to show concern. Hold on and I’ll get you out of here.
???
It's no use. I've tried over and over. You need a certain key to unlock the cell door.

OPS
Well, good thing the guard I stole this uniform from had a spare.

OPS unlocks the cell door and the man walks out.
???
Thanks
OPS
So you gonna tell me what you’re doing here?
???
I was already working undercover as a weapons designer for the KGB, when I was ordered by my superiors to find a scientist named Donald Stillman that worked on rocket engines and nuclear deterrence and bring him back to the states.
OPS
Bring back?
???
He used to be an American scientist, a good one at that. But he was so often ignored by his fellow scientists about the dangers of nuclear weapons and that it was always possible that another country would make the same thing. He began making blueprints for some sort of machine that could defend any country from a nuclear attack.
OPS
Machine? Some type of special nuclear missile? You said it yourself that he worked on rocket engines.
???
No, this was much bigger than just a simple missile. However, he was shunned for his ideas and deemed a ridiculous, paranoid, mental loose cannon. So you can imagine how he would have reacted when October 14th, 1962 came around.
OPS
The Cuban Missile Crisis.
???
Right. Stillman felt as though he could have prevented the whole thing if his peers and employers hadn’t been so arrogant. So he defected to the Soviet Union where he believed his work would be appreciated and put to good use.
OPS
And was it?
???
Yes, and no. See his work was indeed admired and the Soviet Union wanted him to get started right away. So the KGB provided him with all the necessary funding and personnel. But after President Kennedy’s assassination, the KGB began to fear of an impending attack from America if they were led to believe that the President’s murder was from the USSR. They immediately began preparing for retaliation, and in the midst of confusion, Stillman vanished.
OPS
Vanished?
???
Yeah. Then about a week or so later, the Pentagon received a coded message from Stillman himself, saying he was being held here by the GRU.
OPS
GRU!? This is a KGB prison!
???
Huh? Didn’t you even see Adamska’s uniform? He’s a GRU Major.
OPS
Hmm...That doesn’t explain why he said this was an official KGB mission.
???
Strange. Guess that’s something will have to find out ourselves.
OPS
Guess so.
???
Will have to contact someone back in the US who can help us out. Meaning we’ll head five clicks southeast of the detention center and we should reach a communications base. I need you to call in a rescue, if you can.
OPS
Rescue?
???
You should be able to make contact with the States using the satellite uplink. But the circuit will most likely be monitored. If only you could use some kind of encrypted transmission...

OPS
Someone capable of receiving an encrypted protocol that they can't listen in on...

???
Any ideas?

OPS
I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off, but there's one thing I could try.
???
Great. I’m counting on you, Daniels.

OPS
Call me OPS.
Kyle Miller
Stick’n with your code name huh? Alright OPS, you can refer to me by my real name if you want. It’s Kyle, Kyle Miller.

End of
Covert Patriot
Part 1

Well, when I started out this assignment, I had the luxury of getting started on the writing process immediately, rather than try to think of a suitable idea to write about like everyone else in the class. The reason for that was because of a previous assignment (the character sketch) had been considered as a basis for a screenplay by my teacher (to which I agreed with). Given the amount of time I had and the nice head start, I had assumed I would complete the overall story by the time the assignment was due. However, I had, rather foolishly, not taken the rest of my activities, homework, chores, and so on into account. This led me to having to cut the story short which (to me personally) was a overall disappointment. Still, I couldn’t just flat out complete a screenplay with a weak ending, especially when there was such a large field of story that could be told.

So I resolved to end in a cliffhanger and to avoid making the reader imagine that as the solid ending, I added on to the title thus renaming it from “Covert Patriot” to “Covert Patriot-Part 1” (implying an upcoming sequel). I really do wish I had been able to finish the screenplay the way I had envisioned it. Sadly, I’ll have to look for some other opportunity of my own to finish the overall plot. Which is good, because there is so much more to OPS’s mission than even he knows, with a secret governmental coup, a Russian weapon that could lead to all out nuclear war, allies betray, and a undercover pentagon conspiracy. We’ll see what happens to OPS in the upcoming sequels as well as the video adaption of the story (Spoiler).