Only a Woman | Teen Ink

Only a Woman MAG

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

“My Lady, Octavian is here.” Neferura, my only loyal servant, was in a panic. “It will only be a matter of time before he finds you here.”

“I won’t hide any longer. Bring my paints, my best red sheath, and my most expensive jewelry. I’ve charmed two Roman men; there’s no reason I can’t charm this one too.”

Neferura bowed, then ran out of the mausoleum I had been hiding in for the past few months. Had it really only been a couple of months since everything had gone wrong? Our fleet was destroyed at Actium, Mark Antony took his own life, and now the Emperor had arrived in Egypt. If I couldn’t charm Octavian like I charmed Julius Caesar and Mark Antony, then I would soon be returning to my mausoleum as a corpse.

Neferura returned with all of the things I had requested. She helped me wriggle out of my plain white sheath and into my sumptuous red one that left little to the imagination. Then she brushed my tangled black hair, pinned it up, and slipped my wig of a hundred ringlets into place. I sat very still as she outlined my eyes in kohl, used henna to redden my lips, and covered the dark circles under my eyes with powder. From the small selection of jewelry she brought, I chose a silver circlet with a huge red jasper stone that hung on my forehead, bracelets of electrum, a belt of moonstones, and rings of lapis lazuli. I looked at myself in the small bronze mirror Neferura brought and smiled. I looked perfect, as usual. Now all I had to do was make Octavian agree.

“You manipulated a good Roman man into turning against his own country,” Octavian said to me warily.

“Me? I am just a woman. What influence could a woman have over a strong Roman man?”

Octavian spluttered at my words; he was not buying into my story. And he definitely wasn’t falling for my body like Julius and Mark had. My intelligence only threatened him, so that definitely wasn’t helping my case. Time for Plan B.

“You need a powerful ally in Egypt; I can maintain control over my people. Let me remain Pharaoh, and Rome will reap the rewards.”

For the first time in our meeting, Octavian smiled. “Cleopatra, you are an intelligent woman. Tell me, why would I need a powerful ally in the newest Roman province?”

“You’re annexing Egypt?” I gasped.

“Of course. I have no wish to quell the rebellion of yet another tempestuous Eastern Queen.” He snapped his fingers. “Take her away, but do not harm her. I wish to display her at my triumph when I return.”

The Roman guards marched me at swordpoint to a tiny room in the palace that had been a guest room. Before they locked me away for good, I turned to face them and suggestively lifted my sheath to reveal my right calf. One of the soldiers hesitated, but the other pushed me into my prison and slammed the door behind me. To my surprise, Neferura was there, setting up a simple cot by the door. Seeing me, she bowed before speaking.

“I convinced the guards to let me tend to you. My Queen, what will you do now?”

“I am going to deny Emperor Octavian his greatest prize.” I smiled reassuringly to hide the fact I was ready to break down and cry. “I don’t care how you do it, but bring me an asp. I’m going to die with the honour that befits the last Pharaoh of Egypt.”

Neferura nodded and I could see the tears in her deep brown eyes. I walked over to her and pulled her into a hug – a breech of station on my part. But I didn’t care; I was about to die and I needed to thank her for her complete loyalty to me. I felt the tears running down my face, but I let them flow. After all, if I had my way, I wouldn't be here much longer.

After Neferura retouched my makeup, I was ready. She had smuggled the asp past the guards by hiding it in a basket of figs. I reached in the figs and nearly smiled in triumph when my fingers closed around the asp’s cool, smooth body. It hissed as I pulled it out of the basket. Good, it was already annoyed at being kept under the heavy figs.

Its eyes stared coldly at me as I stroked its head, enticing it to bite me. Finally, it struck my wrist with lightning speed. I bit my tongue to keep from crying out in pain. When the snake let go, I quickly dumped it in the fig basket and put on the lid.

Within minutes, my breathing became laboured. I lay down on the bed and carefully composed myself. I was going to die with dignity, the way a Pharaoh should. My last breaths were steeped in agony, yet I was strangely happy. I had thwarted Octavian, denying him his greatest prize.

But my happiness didn’t last long. The gods in Judgment Hall were calling for me, Queen Cleopatra, the last and greatest Pharaoh.

Historical Note: Although we know him today as Octavian (or Caesar Augustus), in his time, he was known as 'Gaius.' I didn't want to fight convention by using his Latin name because that would just confuse everyone. I hope you like my story! Tell me what you think of my portrayal of Cleopatra in the comments.

Hilidan SILVER said...
Hilidan SILVER, Istanbul, Other
:) I wouldn't nor Cleopatra but she should, as a delegate of her country and people.

on Jan. 27 2012 at 7:57 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :) And would you want to be paraded through the streets of Rome and strangled publicly? I think most people would commit suicide if that was their fate.

Hilidan SILVER said...
on Jan. 27 2012 at 5:13 am
Hilidan SILVER, Istanbul, Other
I think the queen being coward because she chooses th easy way but a great story.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

jazzi said...
on Jan. 26 2012 at 10:03 am
wooooooooooooooow

zech 11 said...
on Jan. 26 2012 at 9:47 am
you r so cute and nice hi

Wats Up said...
on Jan. 26 2012 at 9:45 am
That was great I loved that story it tought mhe alot

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks! :)

on Jan. 25 2012 at 11:27 am
I loved it!!!!! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting, shakaylin! I'm glad you liked it. :)

shakaylin said...
on Jan. 24 2012 at 10:23 am
i love your story.it is awesome reply back please:-)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

No problem! :) And thanks for commenting!

SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
Wow, this was a great story! I love historical fiction that lets you see what might have been in the mind of historical figures :) I actually didn't know much of anything about Cleopatra before, so thanks for enlightening me!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :) But killing herself was a way out of being paraded at Octavian's triumph, not a way to save Egypt.

on Jan. 11 2012 at 8:48 am
crazywriter662 PLATINUM, Oak Creek, Wisconsin

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

I really liked this story. It gives you a brief glipse into Cleopatra's mind, and why she killed herself to save Egypt from Octavian. Very, very good!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

I'm not usually a fan of historical fiction, but this is really great- you can see cleopatra's character, and the way you described things was very good. the dialogue seemed a little short though, I think she should have talked to octavius a little more.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!

AngelsLullaby GOLD, Neverland, Idaho

Music is a higher revelation from wisdom and philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

I think I've read this before lol. It's really good. I don't really like history but you wrote this really well. 5/5 stars :)