Long Sufferer of 9/11

September 11, 2001. That date haunts me. In ways you could never imagine. I woke up instantly alert and looked at my alarm clock. 5:00 a:m. I propped myself up and groaned. I was never a morning person. Well, today was different. It was September 11, 2010, my 17th birthday.

This day haunts me. I can still feel the gun against my head and the terror raging inside me. I still remember the silky, soft voice threatening me and pounding against my ears. Hold on, let’s back up a little. As you might have well guessed, 9/11 and me have history. History that makes me regret what I did. Terrifying history.

It all started nine years ago, in 2001. It was my birthday. My mom and I were visiting my dad at the time. We were living in New York. Dad’s office was in the Twin Tower. While my parents were talking, I slipped away to explore the floor. Because I was only eight, the turns were very confusing and soon I got lost. I opened a shiny door and it led to a very dim and dirty room. Inside was a sight which I will never ever forget. About ten stealthy men with guns and suitcases were seated. As the door swung shut, they all turned their gaze toward me. I was a little scared when I saw their guns. It was pin-drop silent in the room. Then a man with a scarred face seized me and held a knife to my throat. The scarred man then asked me “What are you doing here little boy, did you get lost?” All he got as an answer was screams and shouts of terror. The men were actually puzzled at seeing me. While I was crying, they were debating whether to kill me or not. The scarred man held the knife tighter against my throat and told me in a threatening voice that if I told anyone what I saw in this room today, I would die. I sniffled, quickly agreed and ran out of the room. Well, first I tripped over a barrel and then limped out.

I know what you’re thinking, but I was eight, and eight year olds are not that intelligent you know. I ran from corridor to corridor, trying to find my mom. Finally I saw the familiar door of my dad’s office and opened it. My mom was getting a little worried in my absence. I hugged my mom really tight and buried my face in her clothes. I was so afraid that the scarred man would find me that I didn’t dare tell my mom what happened. After that episode, Mom and I left Dad to his work and headed home. I was relieved to get out of that tower. Not three hours later, Mom got a phone call. She quickly turned on the TV and I sat with her watching the news. The tower we saw just hours ago was a complete disaster. Rubble was scattered throughout the area and two huge airplanes engulfed in fire were sticking out from the building. This was something I had never seen before. My mom started crying. I was astounded; my mom never cries. A week later I found myself sitting with my relatives and listening to a memorial service. It was my dad’s.

Only a few year’s later did I understand the gravity of the situation. That my dad died because of me. That millions of families suffered just as we did. And I could have stopped it. Even to me, that sounded far-fetched. Like a nine year old boy ever met a terrorist. Ya right, get real. It would be if it wasn’t for one more thing. Remember when I tripped on a pile of barrels? I stumbled upon a broadsheet which stuck to my shoe. I didn’t want to pull it out and waste time; the scarred man might change his mind. Ever since then I stayed away from barrels. After we got home I looked at the paper. It was a blueprint. The blueprint of plane Q33 NY, the plane that crashed into the Twin Tower.

I was torn with grief when I found out that I could have stopped America’s greatest disaster from ever happening. I could have stopped my Dad’s death from occurring. That was a lot for a teenager to think and dwell upon. For eight years I regret not telling my Mom about the scarred man and the blueprint of the plane. I never told her about it later either. Even though I had evidence to prove I met with terrorists, why bother? Why bring up old wounds? My mother had somewhat of a breakdown after Dad died. She cried a lot and one day I got so scared she would never stop crying that I went to her and told her if you don’t stop crying your face would turn to a big red balloon. After that she started laughing and I started laughing and we became closer. We had lots of fun after that but I never forgot how much she cried that year. I didn’t want to bring it up again and make her cry. I love my mom too much for that.

The sound of police sirens wailing down below brought me back to reality. I got up from bed and opened the door. My mom was in the kitchen, making coffee for herself and humming to a tune. I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, changed my clothes and went back to the kitchen. “You’re up really early, Nick, my mom said, It’s only 5:30.” “Well I couldn’t sleep on a day like this,” I replied. After she gave me a sad smile and a kiss on the cheek, I ran out the door of our apartment and headed for the streets. Today was my birthday, I should do something special. Ya right. I headed toward the place where I always go on my birthday, Ground Zero. I walked past the ruins of the Twin Towers and before I know it, tears are cascading down my cheeks. I regret this day. I wiped my tears away and headed to the subway. I sat on my seat, looking at the people in the subway, and my heart stops cold. I can’t believe this, I couldn’t believe this. I almost start hyperventilating. I-it’s him. The scarred man.

This can’t be possible. I mean what were the odds of seeing the scarred man again? I started breathing a little easier. It could be a man that looks coincidentally like him, with the same exact scars, and the same scary face. No, it’s him. I took a deep breath. The only difference is that he has long hair; the man eight years ago was bald. He was hiding behind a newspaper pretending to read. What was he planning to do? Was he going to hijack the train? Please no, not another 9/11. Thankfully, the train stopped and the doors opened. As we got off I was deciding what to do. Should I follow him and try to find out why he’s here, or should I just walk the other way and pretend I never saw him? Duh. I’ll follow the terrorist. I see him turn toward a dusty old building and quickly picking up his pace. I quickly pick up my own and hide behind a trash can when he enters through the door. After two minutes I quickly ran to the door and checked to see if it was open. I grinned. Idiot, he forgot to lock it.

I slowly tiptoe through the house following the faint voices from the other side. It looks like he was meeting up with a “friend.” Judging by their angry tones, I could see they were fighting. Suddenly I heard a gunshot and footsteps coming my way. I hid behind a barrel. And yes I understand the irony. I faintly see a man, not the scarred one, dressed in a turban talking on his cell phone. Sadly, he was speaking in a different language. I could safely guess that the turban man shot scarred man and was calling another “friend” to help him bury the body, or something gruesome like that. After ten minutes of complete silence, I quietly tiptoe toward the area where I heard the gunshot. Sure enough, I could see his body. It was covered in blood and sprawled everywhere. Even though, he was apart of the plan to crash into the Twin Towers and killed innocent people, I couldn’t help feeling sorry for him. I mean this man was just a pawn in this cruel game. But he got what he deserved, and I’m glad that I can stop worrying about this. But there’s one more thing to do...

There was a call to the police telling them to come to a dusty, old building and prepare for a sight they could never imagine. What they found was a dead body of a terrorist and documents about him and his group. They also found a note.
"I found this man killed by his fellow acquaintance in this building. He was discovered with precious documents that lead to the terrorist’s whereabouts. You ask me, how do you know he was a terrorist? Well, I sort of stumbled on that, eight years ago. Within the documents, you will find the blueprint of the plane Q33 NY, which you should know was the plane that crashed into the Twin Tower in 2001. There was more information about terrorists in one man’s pocket, then you would find in eight year’s of searching. I hope this serves you well."
Peace to you,
Long-sufferer of 9/11

JaceyCrims said...
Oct. 23, 2012 at 7:47 am
This was actually depressing, but in a good sense. I was in second grade when the twin towers fell and we had watched the news feed live when the second plane crashed. It haunts us all, and I really like how you were able to put yourself as an author into the shoes of a teenager who knew it all. I think you have a career in writing. :)

i.e m0nkii said...
Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:37 am
These people is crazyy , !

maddy d said...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 10:27 am

YAY AMANDA!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SO AWESOME !!!!!!!ALL CAPS PPL!!!

ur bff pierre/freddy/maddy

<MEEEEEEE maddy

Booksrawesome replied...
haha thxx maddy.. and look whos talkin?? u got published on teenink tooo :) walking through the darkness was the bomb diggity :) lol bomb diggity that sounds funny he he he he he bomb diggity.. now i got the gigglies :) gigglies lol

A. Mathews said...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 6:48 am
Great job Mandy, We are all so proud of you....Can't wait for your next one :)

EmilyB123 said...
Loved it! Great job Amanda! Keep it up!

Emilyb123 replied...

I think your going to make a great artist

shark replied...
artist.... dont you mean writer....

vickyd101 said...
heehee i know the author and good job amanda this is awesome and i think alot of people can relate to what you wrote <3

Jadenstar said...
This story is awesome, best story on this whole website good job on this :)

Booksrawesome replied...
Thx so much dude :) haha

Booksrawesome said...
Thx guys ya'll are really awesome :) Plz don't forget to rate :D thanks u guys :)

shark said...
I love this!! its really good!!! You did a good job!! :) 

Booksrawesome replied...
thx dude :)

shark replied...
welcome amelock holmeass :)

maddy d replied...
Dec. 20, 2010 at 10:28 am

ohh yaaaaa! analock homass! i forgot about tht.r u from thrs?

maddy d

AllyT said...
Great article!! It was well written and very creative. I enjoyed reading it.

Booksrawesome replied...
Thx :) Keep rating :) thankyou :D

NightOwl said...
Wow. This is really creative. You actually make the reader (in this case, myself) feel the dread and the guilt that Nock feels for not telling somebody about the terrorists. The ending is a nice twist. I liked it all.

NightOwl replied...
I meant *Nick* not nock....whoops;)