No Way Out of Hell | Teen Ink

No Way Out of Hell

By AnneKeli GOLD, Lindon, Utah
AnneKeli GOLD, Lindon, Utah

"I live in my own little world. It's okay. They know me there" :)

The wind blew hard as our group marched down the dark, damp alley toward the court yard of the prison. I could hear men screaming, though it did not bother me as much anymore, the sound still mad me shiver. I pushed the feelings of mercy that I had for these traitors out of my mind, and concentrated on the rhythmic marching. The footsteps of our squad echoed off the sides of the dank walls. This is what I imagined hell would feel like. No flames, no demons, just endless, dark, and being led by a man who never smiles. I’m only sixteen I thought I have no place here.
Another scream sounded from one of the frightened prisoners, this time I could see his face. The man was tall, and very lean. His thighs were as big as a healthy mans arms. It was sickening to see his tortured naked body being beaten by one of the officers. Again I pushed the sympathetic feelings aside and proceeded to my position on the line up.
Standing directly across from me was another badly beaten, terribly skinny man. His pale face was calm, and as he stood across from me, only his knees shook. His lips moved noiselessly. He was praying. God can’t help you now I thought maliciously.
Our Scharführer walked past me to the end of our squad line and shouted “Ready your arms!” I lifted my gun, and looked through the guide until my aim was dead on in the middle of the man’s forehead not thirty feet away from me. I thought I saw something glisten on his cheek as my squad leader shouted “Ready!” he paused as one of the other leaders ran quickly across the line of HJ to make sure all of the beginners had their guns properly placed and situated. He did this so we wouldn’t have any extra prisoners we would have to shoot twice. Even for me, a hardened youth, the twitching of a half lifeless soul was hard to watch. “Fire!” the Sharführer shouted, and out of the corner of my eye I saw twelve instantly lifeless prisoners fall to the hard cobblestone. I put my gun to my side, turned on command, and marched, following the man who never smiles. And though we head back out of the alley, there is no way out of Hell.

Ellie Weisels "Night" is a partial contributer to my inspiration. We did a project for history in which i wrote this story to illustrate the cruelty of the nazi regime. I also wrote it to explain how sad it was that they were recruiting such young children agianst their will for such terrible jobs!

on Feb. 22 2011 at 8:38 am
absolutely amazing.  you are incredible. I haven't had time to read all of the others but will later.

AnneKeli GOLD said...
AnneKeli GOLD, Lindon, Utah

thanks guys! i'm glad you took the time to read and comment! it makes me so happy to hear people enjoy my work :) thanks so much!!

SecretNonConformist SILVER, Marblehead, Massachusetts

The only thing necessary for the triumph of
evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"Bless the children, give them triumph, now!"
Aeschylus, The Libation Bearers

I honestly almost cried when I read this. It was raw, emotional, and a well written piece. The one thing it could've been was longer but then I'd be sobbing. It's like I want to know more but then again I actually really just don't. Keep writing!

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

This is such a sad story! And it was so hearbreakingly realistic! Indeed, the Nazi movement was an unbelievably cruel one, and it's terrible that they recruited children. Once again, you wrote this extraordinarily.