The Diary of Elizabeth Baker | Teen Ink

The Diary of Elizabeth Baker

By mecthespeck DIAMOND, Nashville, Tennessee
mecthespeck DIAMOND, Nashville, Tennessee

Dearest Henry,
When you are not here, footprints fall away at the mercy of the ocean waves; the sun cruelly melts into the darkness, as if it knows my world no longer has light; the whisper of wind in the trees terrifies me with it’s haunting twists and turns. The mailbox has become my best friend and my worst enemy. I hold my breath as I walk down the driveway every afternoon, hoping beyond hope that I have received good news from you, crying from relief when a proclamation of death has not arrived at my doorstep. Please be safe and come home soon…I cannot live without you much longer.

Love, Elizabeth
Dear Elizabeth,
On the battlefield, dangerous gray defies the timeless shades of color. Shadows bound and leap more actively than the people passing them by. In this world of paranoia, death is only a heartbeat away from actuality and life is but a waiting game for the weary. I am weary, but my heart just won’t quit. You keep my beating heart alive.
My love is yours. If I could, I would march the entire front line to you in an attempt to honor you. If I could command the sky, I would send every beautiful shooting star to your doorstep to take your breath away.

With All My Heart, Henry
Dearest Henry,
I wish I could be there with you. I miss you. I need you. I hope these letters find you safe and without need to kill. This war will not last forever. I just know I will see you again: it is destiny.

Love With Every Fiber Of My Being, Elizabeth
Dear Elizabeth,
Destiny is a pretty word, but it will not put forth the effort needed to make it come true. That is why now I must ask for your hand in marriage. I cannot live without you and, if you will have me, I know I can make you happy. I understand that you’d be risking everything to marry a wreck like me, but I felt that I must at least know I tried rather than die not knowing your answer. I love you no matter what. I will never forget you.
Yours Forever, Henry
Dear Henry,
Yes. My heart is yours.

Yours Forever and Ever, Elizabeth
Dear Ms. Elizabeth Baker,
I regret to inform you that Henry Smith was killed in combat on Sunday. He was shot in the chest and, though we tried to save him, there was nothing we could do. He had on his person a recent letter from you and he died in a state of confusion, repeating your name over and over and over again. I hate to be the one to tell you this news. Henry was one of my best friends and just an all-around incredible individual. You are a lucky girl to have held his heart in your hand.

Best of Luck, Roger Davis
**The following letter was sent the day before Henry was killed.**
Dear Elizabeth,
You have made me the happiest man alive. When the war is over, I will come and find you. I am anxious to see you again and my love for you pulses stronger just knowing we are close to reuniting. Fear not for me, for I am ready to die. Just knowing I have loved you and have done something to change the world…that’s all anyone could ever ask for. If I don’t live to see you again, I just want you to remember this: life is fragile, a house of cards, but love is stronger than existence. Love transcends the tenuous binds of our earthly presence. Even in death, I will be there with you. Love will keep me alive. I eagerly anticipate our reunion and I love you with all my heart.

Your Loving Husband, Henry