Brother Love | Teen Ink

Brother Love

By Hannah saunier BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
Hannah saunier BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas

It was a rainy day, much like it has been for weeks now. But this day was different. The fog was worse than usual, perfect weather for a terrible day. I got up and did my chores as usual around the house, but my mind kept flashing to that terrible night, that God forsaken night, when Jack was taken from me forever. We had just got married and we were on our way home from our honeymoon, a beautiful trip to Boston. My dad was kind enough to get us a small house as a gift, where we could live our lives together. As we were standing on the stoop, wrapped in each other’s arms, a shot rang out, and Jack collapsed in my arms. Before I could realize what truly happened, the police arrived, taking Jack, taking my life and my love. It has been over three years now, and they never caught the man who ended Jacks life, but I knew deep inside, that is was someone that worked for Joe. I had his baby, a little boy, and I named him Jack. What do I tell this beautiful baby, who has his father’s eyes? What do I tell him about his father? How could I show him the love that I knew that only Jack could give him? The police came to my home today, telling me that they caught the man who shot Jack. It wasn’t Joe who killed him; it was Jack’s own brother. They went their separate ways when they were just ten, when Jack made his way to New York. He was furious at jack when he found out that he had a successful life and got married, and he came back to get his revenge.

The movie 'Newsies" inspired me to write this piece. It conveys the struggle between man and the world.