Content | Teen Ink

Content

By VictoriaCavallo BRONZE, Jackson, New Jersey
VictoriaCavallo BRONZE, Jackson, New Jersey

Though it may be preposterous to declare, I, a lady of 1863, believe in the excursion through time. For that, I shall either congratulate or abhor the words of Miss Hazel Fisher. We happened upon one another atop the hill of my family estate. When at first I caught sight of her, perched upon the withering grass, she seemed immersed in a state of disarray. The encompassing scenery foreshadowed the coming of winter. Leaves obscured the frozen ground in bundles of red and brown. I then was reminded of my sister Margret in our benigner years of childhood. Years in which we engaged in outrageous buffoonery and adventures of pure enlightenment. Yet in due time, we would both be married and I suppose now I am content.

The woman before me was appalling to behold.  Her dress did not reach past the centermost of her leg and her sleeves barely held to her shoulders! She was unaware of her surroundings, appearing a stranger to them. In short, to resolve her bewilderment, I did declare the day and place; October the fourteenth, 1863 Philadelphia Pennsylvania. She forthwith fainted at my feet. For she was in fact, from a time I knew not existed. Thereupon, I took her to my home in hope she make a swift recovery.

“I don’t understand Clara” she mumbled, draped athwart the cushioned bedding within my chambers, “How can it possibly be 1863. It was 2018 when I woke up this morning. In San Francisco! How am I gonna get home?”

“Alleviate your hysteria. It will do no good to your nerves” I sat beside her upon the bed. Though the subject be a test of my patience, even I came to the compliance of her outlandish proclamations. She was indeed, not a lady of my time and place.

“I am curious Hazel” I said facing her, “How is your time contrary to mine?” She straightened herself upward.

“I don’t think I should say. I mean, can I? Won’t it mess up the whole world order or something?” From this, she alluded my perplexity and disregarding her previous statement, moved onward.

“Well there’s new technology and laws” she said, crossing her arms, “Television is rapidly disappearing but that’s what happens when you introduce new things to people who can’t handle them. There’s also-” She again recognized my loss in comprehension and discontinued her thoughts.

“The world has changed so immensely Hazel. If what you say is true, I might scarcely recognize it should I ever find myself there with you.” She, in desolation, buried her face into the soft clasp of her hands, when I sighted a minuscule shimmer from her finger.

“You’re getting married?” I asked, addressing the diamond pressed neatly into her ring. “Good wishes to you.” Her face abruptly dispirited hearing this thought.

“It’s arranged marriage. My father always wanted me to get married. And he loved Sean’s family… But he died a year ago” She paused. Something seemed unwell. Dwelling on the matter made her palms sweat and her mind twinge with heartache.

“You fear him.” I said softly, “That there is the commonality we share in our timelines.” Her eyes approached mine with the utmost anguish that eyes can communicate.

“I have to get home to him” And it ‘twas at this moment that clarity breached my comprehension. I knew now why she had found her way to me. I would set this right.

“I too am set to be married” Then, drawing forth my hair and twisting my neck, I revealed to her an assortment of blacks and blues. She nearly suffered next of a conniption upon the exhibition of my injuries.

“Did your fiance do this to you?” She seemed nearly baffled at the thought of this exploitation but knew personally similar feelings as one would know how to spell their own name.

“Not all people have the capableness to flee their bonds Hazel. Whether they be pure or otherwise, you possess an opportunity and I do not. You must secure it, for me and for yourself. Do not return to the man you fear most.” She took my hands and a tear bowed from her eye.

“Our worlds are quite different. Yet the life we as women share has both evolved and remained dormant. Though our sufferings be equivalent, you bear the potential to alter them. Now you must promise me you will do as I say.” Hazel reached down and pulled the diamond from her hand and threw it to the floor.

“I promise” And with that, she disappeared within a blink of the eye.  That was the first and last I saw of Miss Hazel Fisher. It has been nearly a month now since this encounter. I often think of her, wondering if she ever eluded the torment I am condemned to face for as long as I should live. Still, I miss the days when I was disengaged with adulthood and entitled to remain myself. But I am married now and I am no longer content.