Revelation in the Factory | Teen Ink

Revelation in the Factory

By Oliviameyer BRONZE, Alamo, California
Oliviameyer BRONZE, Alamo, California

The sounds of working machines and focused laborers can be heard throughout the factory. Voices are just a whisper over the sounds of clanging machinery. Two men sit in overstuffed red leather chairs. They are peering through the long glass window that over looks the factory. One of the men in a long emerald green tailored coat, with newly polished gold clasps. He springs out of his chair to experience a new view of the factory floor. His thin white hair is nothing more than a wisp in the dim factory light.

“Look at the newly attained efficiency that machinery can do to the textile industry, so invigorating!” says John Locke excitedly.

John Locke and Jean-Jacques Rousseau examine their textiles being created at an incomprehensible speed.

“This was an excellent choice to buy this factory to observe with our enlightenment ideals and to see them in action.” Rousseau agrees with a sneer on his face, “These selfish beasts have no insight on their meaningless lives.”

Rousseau is wearing a short, clean navy blue coat over his long flowy white shirt. His short hair has little color left and little volume, but one could tell that it is only a matter of time before the hair is gone all together.

“They are not selfish, Rou.” Locke defends.

“Yes these industrialoids have left  their homes and communities in the dust, all to come and work in this despicable place.” Rousseau says as he too leaves his seat. There is an apparent tone of disgust in his voice.

“They have left their communities for a better life and for new opportunities. Don’t assume their motives, they are part of the large movement of urbanization” Locke continues.

“But that is what this is all about. Observing and studying these lower class idiots to see if our theories, such as, Social Contact, really do come in to play!” Rousseau says passionately,now standing, clearly get riled up.

“Sit down! There is no need to be angry. We don’t want your temper ruining this opportunity. These people need us to play the part.” Locke explains.

Suddenly both the men stop. A paralyzing scream can be heard over the loud machinery from the factory floor. It sounds like a child’s scream. They both turn in a state of panic. Their feet thump on the dark wooden stairs. The scene of the factory floor is different then for above. The men can see the layers of dirt and grime that cover the workers from head to toe. The workers are clad in mangy sewn up cloths that have probably been worn for days. The men realize how small some of the workers are, not only in size, but they are skinny and malnourished beneath their thin, torn clothes. Tiny gaunt looking children fill the factory floor.

Dirty bare feet run towards the scene of the accident. A small girl, maybe only eight, is still screaming on the factory floor. Blood is still pouring from the wound, now forming an ominous red a puddle on the floor. The small girl appears to be missing her left arm form the elbow down. The loom she was working on seems to be stained with blood. Suddenly a large man storms to the scene.

“What is going on!” the man says with authority, “Look at this mess! Everyone back to work, you, come with me,”  he challenges pointing an ugly mangled finger at the girl.

He precedes to pick the girl up by her good arm and carries her outside, her screams are still loud and clear. He glances at the mess giving the workers who dares to make eye contact a nasty stare.

“Hey, you!” he says pointing at a frightened little boy, “Clean this mess up,”

The small child runs without hesitation and scrambles to clean the mess. A horrified look is plastered on his face, there is fear in his eyes.

“What is going on here! How dare you treat these children in this way!” Rousseau has now come out of his previous phase of paralyzing shock.

“Do you need to be reminded to whom you are talking to? I run this factory, without me this place would be a disaster. This is the way things are the sooner you learn that the better.” The now apparent boss counters to Rousseau.

“Rou I think this is just how it is, it’s time to go,” Locke says attempting  to pull away.

“What’s going to happen to that poor little girl, is anyone going to help her!” Rousseau says will angered panic in his voice.

“She’s useless to us now, she’s someone else's problem now.” The boss says, unfazed, “Now I suggest you get out of here and let me do my job!”

“Alright, we are leaving,” Locke says, finally getting a firm grip on Rousseau.

They scurry up the stairs and quickly shut the door. The men sit down in hopes to understand and absorb the recent events.

“My dear friend I now realize my faults,” Rousseau says, speaking first,”These children are not treated with the rights and the living conditions they deserve. This is nothing like the social contract. In exchange for their work they are given little pay and no rights.”

“I don’t know what to say, I think this is just the way things are around here, maybe we were wrong about our theories, or they don’t allows play out as  perfectly as we suspected,” Locke agrees with a pang of sadness and distraught in his voice.

“But this is just wrong! we need to do something to fix this inequality,” Rousseau continues to defend.

“So what?  We completely change the system and try to solve a small part of a large scale problem?  Rou, this is happening to thousands of children and underclassed people around the world. Even if we found a way to stop it here we could never do anything to stop it.” Locke says bringing the reality to the situation.

“Someone has to be able to stop it, Locke, this isn’t right,” Rousseau says, still in despair.

“Well, the government could try to create laws about child labor and rights, but there is no one there that really knows or really cares to know about these problems.” Locke says frustrated.

“I don’t think I will be able to idly stand by and let this happen. Well, we’ve been talking about our thoughts on government for years. Maybe it's time we put those thoughts into action.” Rousseau claims with confidence, a look of hope in his eyes.

“What does that mean for us and our lives work?” Locke says with a tint of doubt.

“It means that we have the opportunity to see our ideas in action, helping people. It means that we are out there instead of being stuck in here only watching, lets do something.” Rousseau says with a new spirit.

“For the good of the people?” Locke says with hesitation.

“For the good of the people.” Rousseau agrees.

This historical fiction piece combines the ideals of the enlightenment thinkers with the scene and everday problems of the people of industrialization.