Art Of War | Teen Ink

Art Of War

By Jdconwell2019 BRONZE, Brunswick, Ohio
Jdconwell2019 BRONZE, Brunswick, Ohio

Art dates all the way back to around 25,000 BCE with cavemen illustrating pictures on the walls of prehistoric caves and ravines. Millions of passionate artists have arisen since painting pictures, drawing, sculpting etc. Whether we’re talking about Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, or Michelangelo, some artists who pick up the paintbrush birth such a strong passion for art that they never put that brush back down. One such man had not only a strong passion for art, but the strongest, and on April 20, 1889 that man was born. Adolf Hitler lived out his childhood painting and drawing sketches in Braunau am Inn, Austria. Adolf quickly became adept with a paintbrush throughout grade school, being considered by his teachers as a brilliant artist and scholar. Though he was such an extraordinary artist, Adolf rarely received positive reinforcement towards his art whether that be at home or at school. This lack of positivity drove Adolf to become better and better at his craft, though it bred more than just a drive to succeed... it drove him insane. Adolf would spend up to a week at a time sleeping in his art tutors studio, never leaving his paintings. He would eat, drink, and sleep right alongside his paintings, making sure he was always working on them, slowly improving to fulfill his dream of being the greatest artist of all time. Adolf’s art tutor, Mr. Ross, began to notice these red flags in his behavior, yet he never categorized them as anything more than Adolf being a kid who loved to paint. One monday morning, Mr. Ross came into his studio after a long 3 day weekend away only to discover a, in lack of better words, disgusting and disgruntled Adolf passed out on the studio floor. “Adolf! Have you been here all weekend?!” Adolf was awoken by this and immediately stood up, picking up his paintbrush and setting up a new portrait. Mr. Ross, curious as to why Adolf had stayed over the weekend then proclaimed “I have to tell you Adolf, you’re the brightest art student I’ve ever seen! I’ve been tutoring for aspiring artists for so long but you’re… you’re different.” He then noticed the look on Adolf’s face as he painted “You have this look in your eyes of hatred while you illustrate. It’s not a scary hatred, but a competitive one.” Adolf pauses his painting. “Yes Mr. Ross, I am quite the competitor when it comes to my art. I’ve been painting, drawing and coloring for my whole life. There must be a reasoning beyond both you and I to explain this passion I’ve had since as long as I can remember. Art has always been a struggle for me.” Mr. Ross surprised by Adolf’s statement asks “I don’t believe it Adolf, how could it be such a struggle for you? You’re beyond extravagant with a paintbrush in hand. May I ask why art has been of such a struggle for you?” With no hesitation, Adolf then answers “No Mr. Ross, it was never a lack of talent that gave me struggles, it was more so the absence of positive reinforcement when it came to my art, igniting this fire within me to be the greatest and most talented artist to ever pick up a paintbrush… no matter the means for getting to said position.” “No matter the means?” Mr. Ross ponders “Can you go more in depth with that for me Adolf?” Hitler’s straight face began to slowly faint into a devilish smirk “By no matter the means I meant no matter the means. I was born with a paintbrush and god I say I will go to my grave with one. Mr. Ross, I just cannot tell you exactly what I’m planning, but I promise you that when it happens everyone will know my name… everyone will know my craft… everyone will fear Adolf Hitler!” Puzzled and stunned by Adolf’s answer, Mr. Ross then asks “By golly Adolf, what could you possibly mean everyone will fear you?! Art is beauty, and fear is the opposite of beauty!” The devilish grin on Adolf’s face grew to an almost satanic like smile “Oh my Mr. Ross, it will all make sense soon enough. I will be the greatest artist of all time and everyone will feel my wrath! If nobody wants to see my art then by any means everyone will see my talent and Adolf Hitler will be known as the greatest artist of all time!” Three months later, Adolf was as eager as can be. He was awaiting his acceptance letter into The School of Fine Arts Vienna. Waking up at 8 AM sharp, Adolf had been sitting next to his front window awaiting the mail that, or at least he had thought, would have the key to the beginning of his future of artistic excellence. As the mail truck pulled up to his mailbox, Adolf sprinted full speed out of his house and down to the mail. Upon further inspection he saw it, a folded envelope titled “Schule der Bildenden Künste Wien”. Without hesitation, Adolf tore through the envelope like a starving lion readying his kill for feasting. There lay Hitler’s greatest fear, he had failed. The letter read “Es tut uns sehr leid, Herr Hitler, Sie haben die Prüfung nicht bestanden und wir können Sie nicht mehr in unsere Schule aufnehmen. Mitt lieber, Herr Ross.” Dropping to his knees in pure heartbreak, Adolf felt a change within himself, as if every bit of good in him had been torn out by the words he had just read, none more so than the name at the end of the letter… Mr. Ross. Since the day he was born, Adolf’s life goal was to become the greatest artist who had ever lived, but everything was different now. Adolf felt as if his dream had been crushed, not even crushed… slaughtered. Immediately, Adolf channeled every single bit of hatred within him and set course for Mr. Ross’ studio, his crushed dreams of being an artist had been replaced by a fiery passion to destroy Mr. Ross as he did Adolf’s future in art. Upon arriving at Mr. Ross’ studio, he noticed that it had been cleaned out. Every single brush, canvas and bottle of paint were gone. Startled by this discovery, Adolf set his new course to none other than Mr. Ross’ home. Arriving there, Adolf knocked down the front door screaming Mr. Ross’ name throughout every room in the house. After roughly 10 minutes of thoroughly searching the home for any sign of Mr. Ross, Adolf finally came to the realization that he was gone, vanished in the wind almost as if he knew what was coming in Adolf’s hatred. He had left everything behind and ran, and Adolf knew this. Racing through every bit of knowledge he had on Mr. Ross, Adolf had a plan, a dark plan that he never knew would escalate to such historic levels that he was ready to make a reality… but it was the only way. Five years pass and Adolf had built much more than a following, but an army. An army set to destroy every single person falling under the criteria that he decided he would use to thin the search for Mr. Ross. Hitler knew the only thing stronger than Mr. Ross’ passion for art were his Jewish beliefs, and that's how he would find him. Hitler named his army the Nazi Regime, with every single soldier being handcrafted by Hitler’s persuasive ways into a Jew hunting monster. Hitler’s intent with this army was not to wage a hate war against the Jewish religion, but to track down and destroy the man who had crushed his dreams, Mr. Ross. The date fell on September 1st, 1939 when Hitler strategically decided to begin his hunt for Mr. Ross on the Polish frontier. Hitler’s army fought harder than any army ever seen before, using gorilla warfare to destroy anything in their path. After months of genocide with no sign of Mr. Ross, Hitler had finally realized what he had started. With just about every major power on the planet waging war with his Nazi army, Hitler decided that this had gone too far, but his following was far too brainwashed into hating the Jewish religion to just stop there. As the war waged on, Hitler slowly began fading into utter insanity knowing the mass genocide his Army was single handedly responsible for, all for just one man. Five years pass by of nothing but war and genocide, deciding he couldn’t let this pointless slaughter continue thus far, Adolf had a decision to make. With no sign of Mr. Ross in the six years this war labeled as “The Second World War” continued, Hitler had to put an end to his militaristic band of murderers. April 30th, 1945, Hitler gathered his army for the final time to order the end of the Nazi Regime. The speech quickly turned into Adolf begging his army to end the killings, as their beliefs were much too cemented in concrete to just end on a dime. It's said every soldier in his Nazi army were so enticed into killing Mr. Ross that they’d even foam at the mouth with just the sight of a Jewish man. Hitler had lost all faith, not only was he responsible for the mass genocide of a whole religion for six years, but his soldiers wouldn’t stand down. Out of options, Adolf decided he had only one single option to end the horrors he had begun. *Click* *click*... *BANG*.

This Historical Fiction piece was written for my creative writing class.