I'm Her | Teen Ink

I'm Her

By marandapeggs BRONZE, Buckhannon, West Virginia
marandapeggs BRONZE, Buckhannon, West Virginia

The sound of my streps echoed as I walked down the long hallway. The cranberry walls seemed to close in the farther I walked. Candle light showed the path ahead as  I reached the large circular mirror at the end. The woman that stared back was not me.

She was beautiful. A fiery red mane danced widely about her head. Startling blue eyes hid beneath thick lashes. She radiated power, elegance and grace. She was royalty. I was her. I am America Singer.

"Queen America, the special is about to begin," one of my head guards said quietly from behind me, trying not to startle me.

"Yes Aspen, I'm on my way." I nod to my reflection then walk back down the hall. Heels clicking and echoeing around me; Aspen not five paces behind.

Two guards stood on either side of a large wood door. Both in uniform and ready for anything. "Morning m'lady." They both say in unison, smiling brightly. "His lord will be here as soon as he's done with the press."

"Thank you." I turn back to Aspen. "You're clear for the evening Aspen, I think your wife will be pleased to find you home early." His growing smile amd shining eyes told me I was right. "Go," I whispered as he jogged, almost ran, home.

"Your look lovely today, my dear." A warm voice mewed behind me. The voice belonged to the one man who could make my heart go crazy and calm it at the same moment. My Maxon.

"Hi," my voice seemed weak and squeaky, even to me. He was standing a foot away. Honey blonde hair was styled to perfection. Chocolate brown eyes stood in contrast to his pale skin. He was beautiful.

"Are you ready to make the announcement?" He asked, planting a kiss on my temple and a hand on my stomach. " They're ready to know."

"I believe I am. Are you?" I hugged him close, instantly not wanting to ever let go. Kissing my check he mumbled yes and turned to the guards. I silently pinched my arm to see if I was dreaming. Nope.

"Open." He more suggested than commanded the guards. The doors swung open revealing a crowd of people, hundreds of thousands, waiting to see the new king and queen. All of them together after so many years of being seperated by class. "Here we go!" Maxon yelled over the roar of the crowd. We stepped out onto the steps infront of our people. America's people. My people.

They were reayd to meet their new prince or princess. Little did they know it would be both.

I enjoyed the story of "The Selection" by Kiera Cass. I was alway curious as to how the two main characters announced the new royal members to their kingdom. So I wrote what I believe would have happened in the moments leading up to the announcement.