Murder in the Finest | Teen Ink

Murder in the Finest

By ForeverxD34D BRONZE, Colorado Spring, Colorado
ForeverxD34D BRONZE, Colorado Spring, Colorado

' Nothing ventured, nothing gained'.

“Constance, may I go to the creek?”
“Yes you may, but you must make sure you are not seen, we do not need the attention. Why must you go to the creek anyway? You have not been there in a while.”
“Thank you, and I must get some mushrooms to punish any evil spirit who dares enter our house uninvited.” I could see the uneasiness in her eyes. I wondered if this was a good thing to do, but I knew that it was for the best. So did Jonas, sitting in the corner of the kitchen bathing himself. I smiled at the little beauty and he meowed back at me.
“Oh Merricat, what am I going to do with you?”
“Love me like I have always loved you.” With that Jonas and I were off to the creek hoping that we do not disappoint dear Constance.
No one saw us going from the house to the creek, but I made a little noise behind a bush along the trail. A young couple, no more than twenty years of age, on the trail was startled from the noise that I had created which made them look toward my position. Luckily, they thought it was just a squirrel scrounging for nuts that he would later hide on our property, and I was able to get away without a hair less. I hope they die since they could of made me fail Constance. I could just imagine their bodies laying there limp on the trail, crawling with insects trying to get what they can from their lifeless corpses. While Jonas, Constance, Uncle Julian, and I would watch them from the house I had on the moon and laugh at their misery.
Once at the creek, I sat on one of the rocks surrounding the creek to catch my breath, and Jonas pounced up on my lap and looked at me with his little cat eyes. “Jonas, do you think the ghost will return to the house and bring his horrible little ghost friend with him again?” Jonas looked at me, perplexed at what I had said, and ran to a patch of grass that was bathing in the sun. From there I started picking the mushrooms that were needed to eliminate any evil spirit that dared to step foot inside our house.
Once I knew I had all the mushrooms I needed, I made my way back to the house with them in a paper bag. Since it was night, I did not need to be super cautious since the demons could not see at night. I will kill them all some day and send them back to where ever they had spawn from, but I must start small though. When Jonas and I got near the driveway, people started walking toward our front door, so i could not go home that day but I was able to camp out in my hideout until morning came. Which is exactly what I did, and when morning came we headed back to the house excited to see Constance’s face light up with joy once I stepped in the house.
Jonas and I arrived and Constance handed me a cookie which she made the day before. I gave Jonas some and he rubbed his head on my leg then scurried off into the kitchen. “Did your search go as planned Merricat?” she turned around and started heading towards the kitchen I followed answering her question as detailed as possible as we walked towards our destination.
“What will you do with all the mushrooms you gathered at the creek?”
“You know what I must do Constance.”
“I know what you are going to do, but I want to know why you are going to do it. We are perfectly safe from anything that could possibly harm us”
“To make sure that we remain as happy as we could possibly be.” I smiled at her, and she walked toward the counter and started making lunch for me. It was a ham sandwich with cheese with wheat bread. A simplistic one, but one nonetheless. I sat down in my spot and started eating it, enjoying every bite.
Two days later, just as I had predicted, the ghost that I had dispelled a long time ago came knocking on our door trying to talk Constance in to coming out. Constance and I stood near the door quietly waiting for him to go away, but I had a better way of solving the problem. “Constance, dinner has already been prepared correct?” I whispered
“Constance please answer the door, I can hear you.”
“Yes, why?” she asked me, then she finally knew what I was planning, and nodded in agreement with a bit of sadness in her eyes. I went into the kitchen and poured my concoction that I had made last night into the pot. With that done I walked back into the kitchen and told her it was set. She opened the door and the ghost’s eyes widened with surprise, not expecting to be let in. She welcomed him into our house, the house that he burnt, and directed him towards the kitchen. As soon as he put his ghostly feet on our clean floor that Constance just had done, I could feel the house shriver, disgusted with what had just entered its body. I wanted to rid this house of it, but I knew what had to be done. It will make Constance happy which would make me happy.
“Please take a seat, we want our guest to be as comfortable as possible.”
“Thank you, such hospitality should be rewarded.” he said, and she smiled at it. He thought it was a kind-hearted smile, but i knew what it was. I sat in my corner quietly, trying to be as unnoticeable as possible with Jonas on my lap,  him being quiet as well. She finally gave him some stew with a slice of bread, and he ate it without question. That was what had shocked me the most, not noticing that your were eating your last meal and gobbling up your own demise. I giggled, not able to hold the joy that was gathering inside my body.
“Constance, this is the best beef stew I have ever tasted. How did you-.” with his last words spoken, he began to choke and then the blood started coming from every hole it could possibly be able to escape from.He collapsed on the floor.
Then I leaned over to him and asked him, “Which one of us is still in the house now?”

Originally this was a project for my English Class for We have Always Lived in a Castle, but found it worthy to be posted here.