AE: Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

AE: Chapter 1

By FADartist BRONZE, Lorton, Virginia
FADartist BRONZE, Lorton, Virginia

Part 1:
It was 12:30 in the afternoon and I was still sitting in bed in the Pokemon Center at the Pokemon League.  I was still weak from a few days ago when I saved my friend, Luna, from dying of fatal injuries.  The procedure left me weak and with pain of my own, not to mention, the loss of my psychic abilities.  Wait, sorry, it’s obvious that I’ve gotten ahead of myself.  My name is Zack, but my friends call me Aero.  I’m a Pokemon Trainer and a former member of Team Plasma.  I joined to save my best friend, my mother, my father, and my girlfriend who were infected with a disease by my boss, Claudius, but I went insane and nearly killed all of Unova.  After a rough battle, my friends were able to restore me, but lately I’ve been having nightmares about dying alone.  I can’t even look at my friends anymore.  Suddenly, my shoulder started to throb.  “Ugh!  This pain…. Will it ever stop?”  Suddenly, I heard a knocking on my door.  “Come in,” I said hurting.  At that moment, my girlfriend, Lily entered my room with a tray of lunch for me.

“I have lunch.  It’s really crowded outside with everyone here to support Luna.  So, I was thinking I’d keep you company in here.”  I smiled at her.  Her red hair was in a neatly tied ponytail and her emerald eyes were so soothing.  I couldn’t be happier.

“Thanks, I appreciate it.”  Lily sat down as she placed the tray in my lap. 

“How’re you feeling?” she asked sweetly.

“Not well, Lil.  I feel s***ty in every possible way.  God, I can’t believe I did all that s***.”  Lily got on the bed on all fours and faced me.

“Don’t beat yourself up, Zack.  You, Zolo, and I are all guilty of working with Claudius, but we saw the error of our ways and got back on the right path.  We all love you, Aero.”  I gently touched Lily’s hand.

“I nearly killed everyone.  You… Luna… Gardevoir… Barack…Zolo, and Mom.  I love you all very much.  The thought of being without you guys and the possibility that you would’ve disappeared, because of me.  It’s too much for me to handle.”  Lily cupped my face and gently pressed her lips to mine.  After breaking the kiss, Lily pulled me in for a hug.

“Zack, I don’t care about that.  Luna, Gardevoir, Zolo, Barack, Edna we don’t care.  Claudius had you brainwashed and genetically modified.  He committed crimes against humanity.  You just realized it too late.  Zack, we all started out as troubled souls that let our problems rule over us, but we learned to overcome them and be better for it.  So, please don’t worry about it.”  I smiled at my girl.  Lily then put her head into my shoulder and sniffed.  “So, what shampoo are you using?” she said flirtatiously.

“Your favorite,” I said bringing her into another kiss.  For the rest of the day, I basically stayed in my girlfriend’s care.  Zolo occasionally stopped by to check on me, but he was busy catching up with Ricky.  However, he and I had our usual “whose the smarter trainer contests” with me usually winning.  I eventually did get out of bed to get a drink of water, but it turned into a social with the rest of the group.  However, I don’t think they’ve all managed to completely forgive me yet; especially Roxie.

Eventually, I went to bed, but woke up in a cold sweat after having another nightmare.  I looked around my room for any changes, but sure enough everything was the same.  I looked at my alarm clock, 3:45 in the morning.  Lily was sound asleep next to me.  “Not again,” I said wiping my forehead.  I got up and went to the bathroom to wash my face.  No matter how hard I tried, every time I looked into the mirror, I saw Kamichii, the evil me created by Claudius and the physical manifestation of his brainwashing.  Lily and the others have told me multiple times that they didn’t hold anything against me, but this nightmarish abomination won’t leave me alone at night.  At that moment, I realized what I had to do.

I walked over to me closet and put together a new outfit.  I put on a green t-shirt with a white pokeball symbol on it, black jeans, really dark brown sneakers, and a black suit jacket.  I walked over and took one pokeball from my dresser.  “I would take the rest of you with me, but you all deserve a break.  I’ll miss you.”  I sat down on the bed and began writing a note.

Everyone,
I appreciate all of the love and care you’ve shown me, but there’s something I have to take care of.  I can’t get my sins out of my head, so I must leave to another land so I may redeem myself.  Lily, I really do love you.  I never thought that I’d meet anyone that would make me feel the same way Luna… no, even better than what I felt when I loved Luna.  You made life in Team Plasma so much more enjoyable; you and Zolo both.  We may only be 18, but I can’t help, but ask.  Will you marry me?  If your answer is yes, then I will see you when I get back, but if the answer is no, I hope you will still consider staying my girlfriend.  I’ll see you later, honey.  Tell Luna, Zolo, Barack, and Mom that I’ll see them soon as well.
~Zack
I placed the note next to Lily and started stroking her hair one last time and walking out after kissing her on the forehead.  As I left the center with one pokeball in hand, memories of Luna, Zolo, Lily, and Barack flashed through my mind.  Tears started to stream down my face.  “Must be the onions in my food sack,” I said wiping my tears.  When I got to the cliff, I called out Braviary.

“Bra?” he said looking at me skeptically.

“We’re leaving, Braviary.  We’re going to the Hoenn region to seek new adventure.”  Braviary nipped at my waist.  “The others aren’t coming.  It’s just you and me.”  Tears streamed again and Braviary started to cuddle up to me.  After a few minutes, I climbed onto Braviary and we started to fly away.  I wanted to take Gardevoir with me, but my name means wind, so I shall sail across the skies with an open mind and with a flying-type Pokémon.  All I can say now, is that when one door closes, another one opens.

The first chapter of a Pokemon Fanfiction that I wrote as a side story sequel to a story tha both my best friend and I made up.