The Dinner | Teen Ink

The Dinner

By JadedAngel PLATINUM, Leavittsburg, Ohio
JadedAngel PLATINUM, Leavittsburg, Ohio

I'm Pretty, but I'm not Beautiful
I Sin, but I'm not the Devil
I'm Good, but I'm no Angel
-Marilyn Monroe

It was cool, brisk evening and it was nearly seven.The guests were just beginning to arrive for the party, first was Calla and Ansel followed by Shay. Then a moment later Monroe stepped in, trailed by Ren. The way they came in was a defense technique, put in place to protect and keep Shay safe. Even here, at the Academy when the location moves every few days, the keepers and their magical partners still caught the trail every once in a while. The searchers numbers had grown largely in last ten years, but somehow the keepers still managed to keep their guardians believing they were the enemy.
Elaina invited them each inside then down a long hall into Monroe’s study, Monroe and Elaina decided this would be a far more safe place to have the meeting, rather than the dining area. Elaina had arranged everything while they were out, she even placed cards at the table which told everyone exactly where to sit. She arranged them so that only minimal disagreements would occur. Monroe the first seat on the left, Ansel on his right. In the back was Shay, Calla to his right and then Ren to hers. In between Ren and Monroe sat Elaina. This was so Ren nor Shay could complain about the other being too close to Calla, it also made it easier for Elaina to have quiet conversations with Monroe.
Once they were all seated in the small dark room, at the round table with six wooden chairs, each of began to chat with one another. Elaina quickly turned to Monroe to get an update. He grimaced slightly before whispering the words “They killed her mother Naomi to punish her father Stephan for not having a fully obedient pack, for failing them . Emile, Bosque  and Lumine will give us some trouble if we go anywhere near there again. I’ll tell you more details later, for now lets just get everyone under control.” Elaina nodded knowing it was best for the situation.
As Monroe filled her in, Calla and Ren were talking ever so softly. Ren begged “Please Calla. You don’t understand how important you are to me.” Calla firmly stated ‘I’m just a conquest for you and you know it.” Ren frowned, hurt by her comment. He then in a soft voice said “Calla, you never even gave me a chance.” Ren took a deep breath before continuing, then spoke sweet as honey. “Calla we are supposed to be together, for me there is no one else but you….and I know you have Shay but I wish you’d just give me a chance.” Calla inhaled sharply and began composing herself, then smiled at Ren and said “I’ll think about it okay? I’ve never looked at it that way before.”
Ansel and Shay were also having there own little discussion during this mess. Ansel had so many questions. Ansel spoke quietly so no one else would over hear, and said “Shay, What is going on here? I don’t understand where we are? What happened that Calla left with you?” His voice broke as he felt the loss yet again. Shay answered him in a hushed tone “These are the people who are going to help us end the keepers way of life, you...we are not their slaves. We are in a secret place that changes location every so often so we aren’t detected. It’s the searcher’s base. The thing with Calla is a long story I think you’d rather hear her explain. ”
    Monroe stood up and hollered “Alright everyone listen up. Now that we have more of you, those who’ve been on the inside. We need to construct a new plan to take down the keepers. Anyone care to start? Oh wait how rude of me Ren, Ansel this is Elaina.” He motions to his left. Elaina spoke softly “Nice to meet you both. We’ll get better acquainted later, I’m sure. This isn’t exactly the best time.” Monroe scans the room, then says “Yes perhaps when we all mingle after the main topic at hand. Now anyone know of any weaknesses or back entrances we can use to get a jump on them?”
Calla shook her head and looked to Ren. Ren remained seated but spoke in a thunderous voice. “They’ve closed everything off and made the mountain into a fortress since Calla left with Shay. Oh thanks for that by the way, because we either had to follow orders to a T or become a prisoner once they were done interrogating us. You abandoned your pack Calla, left them to face unspeakable horrors caused by your hand.” Calla cringed  hearing him say it aloud. Then spoke softly keeping her head low, ashamed. “I’m sorry, I will make sure they all know that but I couldn’t just kill Shay, an innocent human. Not without probable cause.”
Shay stood up and stared Ren down before he said “Listen Ren you don’t get to do that to her. You don’t get to make it harder on her than it already is. You have no idea what it did to her when she left, how much it hurt her. Don’t you dare come in here and act high and mighty, Calla did what she believed to be right at the time.” Ren’s face twisted with a mix of emotions at Shay’s statement. Monroe glared at them, then in a stern voice spoke. “Both of you need to calm down! You’re making this situation more tense than it already is! We need to make a plan and be productive, you can deal with your drama later.” Shay sat down heated at the way the conversation was cut short.
A slight knock at the door occured as soon as silence fell over he room. Monroe in a sweet voice said “Bring it in.” In came three girls with trays of food. They gave each person at the table a plate with chicken, pasta, and a glass of water. Then they left the room without a word. Once the door clicked closed, Monroe softly said “Eat up, discuss techniques for battle, try to be productive. We’ll collaborate once everyone is done eating.” Monroe turned to Ansel and asked “How are you?” Ansel smiled slightly before it turned into more of a grimace. “I’m alright, I’m so glad Bryn and the others are safe. But I feel so empty without my wolf and with the recent death of my mom, I’m hurting.” Monroe frowned then whispered “It will get better eventually but its difficult to lose someone so close. I can’t imagine how you’re feeling. The only thing I’ve felt I can even slightly compare it to is the loss of the love of my life.” They both frowned feeling the pain and sadness wash over them both. Ansel quickly changed the topic to strategies. Monroe surged with ideas, he looked Ansel in the face and said “I think we should come at them in a way no one else ever has before.” They smiled at each other in devious thought.
Meanwhile Elaina and Ren spoke in low tone and nibbled at their food. Elaina started by saying “I think we should use a larger force than just the few strongest, we’ve got so many students.” Ren had a very undecided look on his face as he said “Yes but larger numbers can lead to higher casualties and control issues.” Elaina nodded knowing he was right. She then smiled and announced in bold tone  “What if we did small groups and kept most back and safe, only there if needed.” Ren grinned impressed with the unknown girls thought process. He spoke in a sweet, soothing voice “I like the way you think, clever girl.”
As all of this occurs Shay speaks lovingly saying “Calla he had no right to say those things.” Calla rolled her eyes and looked Shay dead in the eyes before she sincerely said “Shay he’s right. I will be a leader in this fight and I don’t need you to protect me. Are we clear?” Shay grimaced upset but pushed the words out “Calla I love you. Ren he doesn’t care like I do, he’s getting too close to you for my liking. He looks at you and I just know what he is doing.” Calla pushes her hair behind her ear and turns her head to look at Ren. Then turns unbelievably fast back to Shay and says “He wants me Shay. I know this. I can watch myself, I know you care and don’t want to lose me but this isn’t about you two. We are in a war!”
Monroe stands slowly, smiles and scans the table, then says “Alright lets come back to the matter at hand, battle strategies. Who wants to start?” Ren grins deviously and points toward Elaina. Monroe then nods to Elaina for her to start. She stands up tall trying to prove her worth in this room full of powerful people. She then states “I think we should divide into small groups and come from all different areas at once. As well as have extra help ready if needed but out of immediate danger.” Monroe shakes his head and then says “Ansel and I think we need to do something we’ve never done before to catch them off guard. We were thinking something along the lines of bait.”
Calla is overly shocked at this statement, she stands without even noticing it. She gasps and lets the words roll off her tongue sharp “Who exactly were you thinking of using as bait? I personally think I’d do the trick without risking Shay. He is the key to everything we cannot risk him being lost. I really think I’m the best choice.” Ren jumps out of his chair and yells “What are thinking Calla? Are you trying to get yourself killed? We are not using you as bait! You are far too important.”
Ren’s statement infuriates Shay. He lurches up and glares directly at Ren as he says “We do what is necessary besides they would be far more interested if we used me as bait. But if you think Calla would be better I’ll support you Monroe. Oh and Ren, Calla is valuable to you only as a member of this team! Are we clear?! ” Calla pushes the two apart by placing a hand on each of their chests then speaks in a sweet voice that becomes sharp as razors “Boys calm down, this is not the time. I haven’t told either of you I am yours, so you both better stop acting as if I am. I make my own decisions.” The three sat down, the two boys stunned by Calla’s statement.
Monroe stands and says in a somber tone “Then its decided, groups with designated leaders, Calla as bait. To get inside we will use certain groups to distract several of the guards. Does that sound reasonable to everyone?” He turned first to Elaina who nodded. He then turned to each other person at the table, each gave him an understanding nod. Monroe grimaced at the responses. He then said in an exhausted tone “I think we better call it a night, the tension is too thick for us to get anything else figured out. Ansel, Ren, Elaina will show you to your rooms. As for the rest of you, I suggest you retire for the night to your own rooms. Goodnight!” Once Monroe walked out, Shay stalked out. Elaina then spoke sheepishly to the boys “Alright lets go, I know its been a long day for you two.” Ansel nodded and walked to the door beside Elaina. Ren leans over and gives Calla a hug whispering in her ear “Goodnight Lily, I’m sorry for the problems.” He pulled back and walked out trailing behind Ansel and Elaina. Calla, now that everyone is gone, took deep breathes, turned off the light and pulled the door closed. Then slowly strolled to her room for a long night of little rest and tons of thought.