Separation | Teen Ink

Separation

By FirePhoenix BRONZE, San Jose, California
FirePhoenix BRONZE, San Jose, California

I gently fixed the tiara on my head. My triforce began glowing intently as I clasped in and quickly slipped on my silk gloves and adjusted my hair. I looked myself in the mirror. I was supposed to be beautiful but why couldn't I be beautiful on the inside. All I saw were violet eyes, a slender nose, and pink lips. There was nothing more. I didn't understand. There was nothing beautiful about me. I wasn't worth all of this.
My long and delicately sewn dress flowed around me. I have a great life, I told myself, but even I couldn't convince myself. Without love you are nothing. I slipped into my ribbon-laces shoes and made my way down the hall. I kept my head held high and bowed my head in respect for those who decided to acknowledge me. I had just received message that a fugitive from another kingdom had decided to make his way into mine. I was to decide what fate to give the miscreant. I walked into the room with a regal expression on my face. I carefully sat down onto my elaborate throne to regard to the matter at hand. When I looked up from my gaze I saw someone I thought I would never see again.
Link.
Even as my guards held him in a headlock, his cheesy grin never ceased to make me blush. Immediately I made my way back to a calm composure. I still remember how it all started. Since childhood we had been quite good friends but soon enough it turned into love. He had made his way into my heart and I couldn't get over him. We were in love withy each other. Or at least I thought. He decided to get up one day without even saying goodbye to go out, riding the world and chasing adventures. I never saw him since. And now he was standing in front of me! The nerve of that idiot.
He wiggled his eyebrows up and down at me. Even as he is at risk of beheading, he chooses to mess with me.
"Zelda, my beautiful. You're looking well." What? That's the best he could think of after leaving me for three years?
"Why have you come into my kingdom?
"What? No hi or hello. Okay then. I'll get straight to the point. I need to explain some things."
"And why have you come after leaving me three years ago without even saying goodbye. Why would you come all of a sudden to see me?"
"You see. That was what I was getting to. Three years ago, one of your guards kidnapped me..."
"Preposterous! Your highness, we would never do such a thing. Would you rather believe this man we picked up on the street or men that have dutifully served you and your kingdom for years?"
"Leave us"
As soon as the guards had made their way out of sight, Link began to explain how he had been exiled from my kingdom to keep him away from me. I remember my advisors telling me was a distraction.
"But all these years...I... I thought you left me"
"Well you thought wrong. Zelda, I came here to tell you that I love you."
"How can I believe you?"
"Because if I didn't care about you, why would I still have this?" He pulled out a small hairpin from his pocket. I had that to him when we first met so that he could find me.
"Link...I."
"I love you" He pulled me into the warmest embrace we ever shared.
"I thought I had lost you" He cried. As soon as we broke I looked into his eyes and saw desperation and sadness.
"But now we can never be separated." I smiled and he held me tightly.
He held my face and gently wiped the tears of my face. We cried together and laughed. We knew that this was the last of our sadness. We could never be separated again. We were meant to be together and that was the way we were going to be. I was not going to let anyone or anything get in our way.

This piece is based on my favorite video game, The Legend Of Zelda. Hope you guys like it!