Those Red Numbers | Teen Ink

Those Red Numbers

January 20, 2015
By AAPhoenix GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
AAPhoenix GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
12 articles 5 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing is real"- John Lennon
"A journey to wisdom is not very far"- Chris D'Lacey


“Th-thank you, so very mu-“ the person who saved me was already walking away. He probably wanted nothing in return. I remember slipping on the stairs. If that person didn’t catch me, who knows what could have happened.
Something wasn’t quite right. I saw someone walk by. These red numbers were above their head. Every millisecond, it seemed, the last number would continue to tick down, as if depicting the rest of the person’s life span. From the quick glance, I could only guess that the last few digits were milliseconds and seconds.
But why could I see this now? It doesn’t make sense. If I could now see how long someone has left to live, then how can I get rid of it? Would I have to save someone from death?
Ultimately confused, I walked out of the school and headed towards the nearest park. Children swarmed the playground. Parents sat on benches, talking to other parents. Those red digits hovering above everybody’s head were waiting to see what I would do.
Next to a tree, sat a girl about my age. She was wearing a black jacket and dark blue jeans. She was writing in a notebook. I read the numbers above her head.
1800:86
Her time was almost up. I walked closer. Her eyes were red with tears. Tear stains and skull art filled her notebook.
Then I sat down with her and talked.
Sometime later, the numbers increased, and then disappeared. I think I saved her.


The author's comments:

This is a story I wrote for a contest on a different website. The idea behind the story is based off the music video for the song "Savin' Me" by Nickelback. I think the idea is awesome, my friend thinks the idea is awesome, another friend thinks my other story for this contest is more awesome, but here's this one.