Grendel Narrative | Teen Ink

Grendel Narrative

By Joannie sanchez BRONZE, LaPlace, Louisiana
Joannie sanchez BRONZE, LaPlace, Louisiana

Today, I was awakened by rats and cockroaches that fed off of my slime I as I laid in peaceful rest. My hunger was not controllable by any means. Some cockroaches, rats, and grasshoppers could not placate my eternal hunger pains. Soon enough I hear the fresh meat, the danes, laughing away in the distance while listening to songs about God’s creation.They were partying in merriment at Herot. Well, I could no longer stand the smell of exercised ligaments, meaty brains, fatty tissues, and fresh blood. I decided today would be a good day to finally put an end to my incessant hunger. Who better to eat than those I am not on good terms with, as I thought. Their Guardian of Heaven threw me out like I was a rotting rat in the corner of my cave that I will soon pleasurably eat. I waited until they fell asleep to execute the attack. At that moment, I enjoyed a hearty human meal. Their ligaments were perfect, their blood was sweet, and their brains were meaty and ripe. I tore into eat body, eating muscle and slurping out of every vein. No one stands a chance against me. I feel superior, powerful, and full with joy. I fell asleep with a tummy filled. I had a dream of the wondrous fear Hrothgar will have now that hall of merriment is no longer safe as I will always be terrorizing.
In my twelve years of ruling Herot, I have not had any altercations with anyone who yearn for a fight with me. I terrorize the citizens and I haunt their nightmares. I steal their dreams and their loved ones when I am in need for a tasty snack. I have heard rumors of a protector of
!
all that is good coming, he can not defeat or harm me. I am too powerful to be taken down, even the mightiest of men can not defeat me. If I take him down quickly, no one will ever challenge my power, and strength ever again.
Stinging with hunger, I ventured to Herot again. I creeped in seeing only the halcyon expression on the faces of sleeping men. To abridge my famine, I chomped and chewed on the fleshy flesh of the first man I saw. Once I digested him, I went for another man. Unlike any other victim, this one fought back and fought he did. After struggling, I realized this is no other man. This man was the keeper of courageousness, he came to combat me. Throughout the altercation, the intensity and likelihood of me losing was increasing. I feared for my life, power, and dignity. As soon I as thought it could not get worse, I felt the worst pain I have ever felt before in my lifetime. I looked around to see blood splattered on the wall and Beowulf was holding an arm. I saw my blood gushing out and my meaty muscles were exposed. The hand that had once killed many was now no longer effective. I ran back home, leaving a train of thick, slimy blood to follow me. I sat in the dark, realizing my honorable existence would be no more. I suffered in pain, wept, and lost hope in life as I slowly faded away alone in my pitiful cave I call home.

a narrative pertaining to grendel from Beowulf