Forbidden Love | Teen Ink

Forbidden Love

By Anabell_99 GOLD, Tirana, Other
Anabell_99 GOLD, Tirana, Other

Remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anyone else.

Nelia

My name is Nelia Rotterdam. I am sixteen years old. I live in New York with my mother and younger sister. I live the life of any other normal sixteen years old, except I am not normal at all.

I am homo superior,the next step in human evolution. Due to a genetic mutation in the R15 chromosome, my kind has abilities that go beyond that of a homo sapien. They call our powers the three Ts: telepathy, telekinesis and teleportation. There is a shadow war going on between my kind, a war between right and wrong. I was found by Mega, a secret government organisation which helps to save the Normal known as the homo sapiens. I betrayed them and I was wrong. I did not really love or have any emotional attachment to…

“Okay, that is enough, Ms. Rotterdam,” the Seeker said as he let go off my hands, “Your check-up is done for today.”
I nodded as I went out of the room.

“How did it go?” Alex asked as soon as I walked out.

“Oh it went perfect! I love it when people just drag out all of my thoughts ,” I ironically answered.

“Well, of course they will want to check on what is going in our head. They wouldn't want to see us running around with the Rebels, anytime soon. Can you imagine that?” he jokingly said.
I laughed even though, it seemed as if running away with the Rebels seemed like the best thing to do at times like this.
John

He wished that it would stop raining. It was always so depressing down in the metro when it rained. The water dripped down the little cracks which divided the outside world from theirs. Their world. Their little abnormal world where no one was safe. A world where falling in love was sin. Even though, his love was a Mega agent.

He wished he could talk to Nelia. If only they could be any other teenage couple, holding hands and walking down the park. Even the idea of going to school did not terrify him, as that was what normal teenagers do. However, normality was beyond his limits.
Nelia

“You must be Ms. Rotterdam, I believe,” a man of gelid blue eyes said as he tapped my shoulder.

“Yes, that would be me.”
He looked at me and I could feel him trying to get into my head, trying to read my thoughts. He too, was Different, a homo superior.

“Very well, follow me now,” he said showing the way.
I froze as the only voice I could hear was the harsh voice of this man inside my head,Not to worry. It’s just a talk.
John

He started to worry. Cara and the others were not back yet. He always worried when they went in the Upper World, the human world. He worried what would happen if Mega found them. What they could do to Cara. And when he thought of Cara, his head hurt. She had been his friend throughout the hardest. However, things were different and they were different too.

Nelia

As I sat in the chair, the only thought that blurred my head was that of John. And I knew that that thought was the only thought which the gelid blue-eyed man needed. I also knew that as much as I tried to push away the thought of John, the more constant it was.

“So Ms. Rotterdam, I assume we both know why you are here?” he provokingly questioned as he stared through me.

“Well then you assume wrong.”
He was a little bit shocked from my answer. He puzzled for a few seconds and then he chuckled.

“Ah, so I see you will make this harder for yourself. Well, your fellow contact and relationship…

“There was no relationship,” I quickly cut him short.

“Call it what you want, there was love,” he finally said as he laid back in his chair.
I was speechless. For the first time in my life, I couldn't speak. And the thoughts of John came back to me. There had never been time to think of it as love, but only as not right.
He smiled with satisfaction.

“Um, there was a slight contact, and that also was incorrect. I apologise. I will make sure it will not happen again,” I quickly managed to say.

“Uh. Do you take me as a fool?” he yelled as he stood up from his chair and put his face closer to mine.

And all I could do was look at him to know he was no fool.
Cara

And as Cara stayed behind the door from which the conversation was happening, she knew what he would to Nelia. But first she had to leave, before the Mega guards caught her too. And she teleported out of the Mega centres.
John

For a long time, he wondered where Cara was. Where all of them were. And out of nowhere the figure of Cara teleported in front of him.

“John, we have to talk,” Cara said.

“What is it?” he calmly asked.

“It’s about Nelia. I overheard them say something.”

“What do you mean Nelia and who are them?” he yelled at her.

“I’m so sorry,” she said and erupted into cries.

“What is it Cara? What is wrong with Nelia?” he cried as he grabbed her by the arms.

They want to kill her John, her voice finally echoed in his head.
Nelia

“Mega is one of the most powerful organisations,” he said as he strapped me to a leather seat where I had seen the life of many like me taken away.
I nodded trying to not let the fear taker over me.

“And as such, it is also the most fragile one,” he finally finished.
John

“I’m going,” John shouted. The whole clan turned their head to look at him.

“You can’t. I will not allow this,” Cara yelled.

“What? Not allow me to save the person I care most about. You will not allow me to save one of us, to save a life.”

“Our mission, is to survive. And I will not let you destroy all of that for some stupid relationship,” she cold-heartedly spit out.
He stopped and thought of how their friendship had turned into jealousy and hatred.

“Tell me Cara then, what's the point of surviving if we don't get to really live?”
She stopped walking and stared at him. And he looked at her, and for the first time he saw that she too was broken. She too was a victim of this thing called love.

Nelia

He raised the syringe to my head, and I saw him smile. And I knew that could not be my last memory, and I let the memories of John flood my head for the last time. I closed my eyes waiting for my closing pain.
John

He teleported into the Mega centres, feeling the most afraid he had ever felt in his life. He wasn't afraid of the guards running for him, he was afraid for Nelia. How could he ever live without her. A life without Nelia, seemed like a life without joy. And a life without joy seemed like a life not worth living. So when the guard approached him, he did the only thing he could do. He shot him.
Nelia

“Any last words?” he ultimately asked.

And I opened my eyes to say, “Look around.”

And as he did, the bullet shot through him ,the same way I had fallen in love with John; suddenly and then all at once.
John

He saw the life of this man pass through his own eyes. He felt his blood splatter his hands, as he took away the needle that would have killed Nelia. And oh Nelia! God! Even as the blood painted her face, to him she looked beautiful. Better yet, she was his. And as he took away the last band, he held her close as they teleported back home.
Nelia

His hand reached out towards me. I could feel his cold skin grasp at the back of my neck, making the little wisps of hair jump up. He stretched his neck and his mouth was just a few spaces away from mine. A tingling feeling spread throughout my body as a sweet puff of his breath touched my hot cheek. He blew sweet notes in my ear, “You’re mine. Don’t you forget that.”

“NO!” I yelled, but he wasn't there. The room was empty and all that remained was the memory of him. I touched the back of my neck and tingles spurt to life.

The door slammed open and a muscular figure came through.

“Nelia, Nelia, it’s okay. It’s just a dream,” Jack said as he threw his arm on my back.

His jasmine smell flooded my brain of bittersweet memories.

“He is alive. He wants me and he isn't wrong. After all, there is where I come from. I am one of them,” I spoke out the words that everyone had been dreading to hear. As I spoke them out, I could feel Jack’s muscles flex and tighten against my shoulders.

“Nelia, look at me,” he said as he cupped my face in his hands, “ I don’t care where you come from. I would fight a whole army of Mega agents, and I don’t care if that makes me oblivion or crazy. I would still do it, because I know the only place you belong is with me. Okay?”

“Okay,” I slowly whispered as I unlocked my face from his hands.

I did not believe him. Even if I loved John more than any other things, I knew love didn't make you trust.