The Last Night | Teen Ink

The Last Night

April 8, 2014
By samdewees GOLD, Farmington, New Mexico
samdewees GOLD, Farmington, New Mexico
19 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - Neil Gaiman


“Percy?” Annabeth asked softly.

“Hmmm...”

“I was just wondering if you remembered.”


The half asleep boy chuckled lightly, “Yes, Annabeth. As I’ve told you a hundred times before, I remember. I remember everything, the big and the small...”

“No, I mean - I know you remember everything, but do you remember that night- the last night before all of this was set into motion?”


Both teenagers snuggled closer as they thought of the once were’s and could be’s. The small wisp of breath that escaped the heroes’ lips allowed a glimpse back to that night... the night that started it all.
----------------------------------------------------------------
A Little less than a year ago

Percy had his arm around the blonde hair, grey eyed girl beside him. Her eyes gazed across the dying fire to the rows of cabins old and new. His eyes were locked on his girlfriends face... trying to memorize the peaceful and stress free smile that graced her person. Annabeth was always beautiful, but it was in these moments that Percy recognized the beauty this fierce, battle ready girl had when she allowed her compassionate and soft side shine through.Annabeth looked over and laughed when she saw Percy staring at her.

“Like what you see, Seaweed Brain?” Annabeth asked looking amused.


Percy flashed her a crooked grin as he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, “Something like that.”


Annabeth rolled her eyes in a gesture of love and snuggled closer to the blushing boy. The couple’s eyesight shifted back to the cabins, where several new foundations were already being laid. “It’s changed so much,” Annabeth observed quietly, “We’ve changed so much.”

Percy’s eyes seemed to glaze over as he remembered the ride to Las Vegas, Circe’s Island, Hoover Dam, Mount St. Helens, and the the battle. He gingerly took Annabeth’s hair in his hand and stroked the streak of grey.
“Yeah we have,” he mumbled. Then abruptly poking her in the side he joked, “You’re a lot more relaxed.”

Annabeth turned on him with a twinkle in her eye. “What’s that suppose the mean?”

Percy simply replied by sticking his tongue out at here is a very childlike way. Annabeth feigned anger then smirked as she reached out and started to tickle Percy. Once she got him unbalanced, the small yet strong girl tackled him to the ground. As Percy laughed, Annabeth glared at him threatening. “Take it back!”

“Never!”

“Seaweed Brain...” Annabeth warned.

“Yes dear?” he joked back.

“Admit it!”

“I will once you admit that you used to be a big know-it-all!”

Annabeth gasped in fury and Percy looked up at her in fear. He tried to scoot back to avoid the murderous look in her gaze.

“N-now look Wise Girl,” he stuttered, “it was a joke. I didn’t mean - that’s not what I-”

“You’re going to pay for that one! Saying I was a know-it-all! I still fully believe and expect to be a know-it-all so don’t insult me by saying I was one!” Annabeth yelled as her stormy eyes seemed to be calculating the best way to kill the boy before her. In a flash of movement, Percy bolted up and away, laughing like a maniac.

“Like you could every catch me!” he taunted.

“Apollo is going to write songs on how painful your death was!”

“I object, he is going to write songs about how I craftily escaped my murder machine girlfriend!” In that moment time seemed to slow down as Annabeth once again tackled Percy to the ground, moving to sit on top of him. With a smug smirk on her face, Annabeth glanced down at the son of Poseidon.

“So what should it be?” Annabeth teased.


Percy pretended to think before putting on his best puppy dog face before saying, “How about a little kiss right here!” pointing to his lips.

Annabeth chuckled as she leaned down to swiftly kiss Percy.
“You get off easy today only because I want my boyfriend intact for the rest of winter break.” Annabeth rolled off of Percy scooting closer to him. The demigods stared at the stars, thinking about friends lost and enemies gained. Percy turned to grin at Annabeth.

“Can you imagine, Wise Girl? A whole winter break that we get to spend together! A nice monster-free, uneventful holiday.”

Annabeth scoffed. “I hardly think that me whooping your butt in Capture the Flag is uneventful!”

Percy pretended to look hurt. “I thought you said we were on the same team!” he whined.

“I don’t know,” she replied nonchalantly. “I just didn’t think you would want a know-it-all on your team.”

Percy sat up and looked at his girlfriend. “Annabeth you know I didn’t mean it.”

“I know, Seaweed Brain, I know.” she kissed him on the cheek as she stood up. “Come up, I have to sleep if you want to do anything this break.” Annabeth grabbed Percy’s arm as she helped him up. He wrapped his arm around her waist and started to walk her towards the Athena cabin.

“You better sleep,” he warned, sea-green eyes sparkling. “I will have you know that I have a lot planned. Ice swimming, blue-pancake cook-offs, and much much more.” They stopped at Cabin 6.

“I’m looking forward to it.”


The couple smiled at each other enjoying the simple pleasure of looking into the other’s eyes. Percy leaned down and gave Annabeth a long, gentle kiss.

“See you tomorrow, Wise Girl.” He whispered.

“Mmmm-hmmmm.” she replied. He turned to leave, but Annabeth called after him. “I love you, Seaweed Brain.”


Percy shot her one of his heart-wrenching grins before replying, “I love you too, Wise Girl.” With one final smile he turned around and walked towards the Poseidon Cabin.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Present
“Yeah, Wise Girl. I remember.” mumbled the boy with the sea-green eyes and black hair as he kissed the head of the girl next to him.


The author's comments:
I've seen different fanart and fanfiction on the night before Percy was taken. This is my point of view.