A Teenage Companion For The Doctor

Hands shaking with concentration, I slowly placed my foot in front of the other, balancing myself on the four inch wide wall. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I reached the end. Just as I was about to jump off and grab my bag for my first class of the day, I heard a voice behind me.

“You’re getting pretty good at that.” Startled, I jumped off the wall and whirled around, only to see a man, maybe late thirties, early forties look back at me, head tipped with curiosity. In one swift movement I grabbed my backpack and slung it onto my shoulders, feet poised to run. Who was he? What was he doing on campus? I don’t see a nametag of some sort… Why is he even talking to me? I swallowed nervously.

“Who… who are you?” I dared to ask. He smiled and replied cheerfully,

“Oh, don’t be so nervous. I’m no threat.” I narrowed my eyes and backed up a step, self-consciously fingering the box knife I kept in my pocket.

“What’s your name?” he asked, seeming to forget all about my question. I did a once-over of him. His posture was relaxed, friendly. His face was bright with kindness. He was a complete stranger, yet I felt that I could trust him somehow… Subtly I shook my head. There was no way I could trust him. He stepped forward and held out his hand.

“What’s your name? I’m the Doctor.” The Doctor? What the heck?

“That’s it?” I ventured.

“Yeah,” he responded lightly, smiling. “Just the Doctor.”

“The Doctor…” I tried out the name to see what it sounded like. He nodded, still grinning. What was his problem?

His hand was still waiting out in the open. Cautiously, I reached out and shook it firmly.

“Piper.”

“Nice to meet you, Piper.” His accent was different. I replayed his voice over and over again in my head when I got it. That’s it! It was Northern, I was sure. What was he doing all the way in Wales? So many questions were swimming in my head. Before either of us could say anything, the bell rang shrilly through the autumn air.

“Gotta go,” I hurriedly said before I took off towards English.

“See you later!” he called back jubilantly. At this shocking reply I stopped dead, only to trip head over heels onto the concrete. Flustered, I wheeled around to see if he was still there. But the man in the leather jacket was gone. Interesting start to my first day of high school, eh?