I Never Wanted To Be A Hero | Teen Ink

I Never Wanted To Be A Hero

By MrWritey3322 BRONZE, Cinderford, Other
MrWritey3322 BRONZE, Cinderford, Other

It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live.

I never wanted to be a hero. But Dumbledore's Army needed me, especially once Ginny and Luna were gone.

I had used to think I was useless...Pathetic... And much, much more, but now, I see the truth. My life is but a distant echo of what it should be, leaving me, waiting for me to fall into deaths cold embrace, my next adventure. Life: what is goddamn point...? We live, we learn, we love, we die, and then were forgotten. Nobody will remember this small stain upon the canvas that is humanity. Only fame is revered by anyone in this egotistical society we call, in certain terms, the human race. We paint but a small, truly insignificant part of a bigger picture.

Now however, I look in a mirror, seeing the haunted eyes staring backing at me. I see as I look at myself, all the lives that were lost in the final battle. Innocent people, fighting for their fredom. Shame, shame is the feeling that fills my soul as I remember that I'm a survivor. Why did I have to survive, was my soul purpose in life to kill Nagini whilst over fifty others died around me. Remus, Tonks, they had just become parents, did they deserve what they got as death engulfed them.

If only everyone out there knew. Knew that life is ever growing, ever evolving, changing until the things we once knew, are sat growing mouldy in an old history textbook. We all strive to go down in history...Or be known in the future. Are the two really the same? What will we really be known as to the generations to come? Foolish...Idiotic perhaps?

After all, power was a deadly motive for the evil that had walked the earth just yesterday. Voldemort, the bastard that had torn apart so many lives, mine being just one of them.

I don't know how Harry does it. He handles his fame so well; he deserves the attention now, even if he doesn't want it. He watches as people thank him for what he did, hiding what he feels from all but his closest friends and family.

People tell me I'm a hero, just like him and that I should be proud.
But I never wanted this…
I never wanted to be a hero…