The Hunger

The ceremony started just like it always did. Just like the beginning of anything. Our loyal, trustworthy president who just wanted the best for us (ha!) droning on and on. About how honoured he was to be leading us, about how privileged we all were to be part of this great new world. Whatever he thought would convince us.

But it soon became clear that the president hadn’t made this a mandatory viewing just to ‘raise our spirits’. He had a message to give us.

I could imagine the thousands of people in the city. Fathers pacing in front of the television and mothers wrapping their arms protectively around their children. Older sibling looking scared and younger children wailing.

Everyone in the country was slowly starving to death. Even wealthy people were struggling to find enough to eat. And our president, our cold-blooded, dragon hearted president, had just announced further food shortages.

Anger, boiling, bubbling, burning inside me, turned my skin a slightly more crimson shade of red. How dare he stand in front of us, pretending to care while he handed us a death sentence.

Of course, people would start singing their protests, singing for change. But they would be singing a silent song. No one dared to openly defy our leaders. It wasn’t worth the risk. They would crush anything and everything you cared about.

I suppose most of the people here would survive, at least for a while. They would support each other, fight for each other.

But I was alone. I was a pariah, and outcast. And it was all his fault.

Bay_ReneeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 12:35 am:
  I loved this! It was really cool to see a perspective from Panam that was part of the uprising. I've seen several people write from Katniss or Peeta's point of view, and that's nice, but I liked how you kept your POV vague. It could have been anyone, and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much! Good job!=]

mereCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:47 am:
Perfectly expresses the distopian opression of Panem and how those who rise are crushed so easily. I will be on teh look out for part two :)

LaChouetteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Very nice! I liked the line about singing a silent song. That's pretty powerful. I saw a few grammatical errors, but not a lot. I would suggest you expand on the situation a bit unless you plan to write a part two. Otherwise, nice job!

holly1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm :
Thank you! Part two is wating to be approved :)

KenyaLove41This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Okay so I enjoyed your story but I did notice a few things. In the third sentence where it says "Our loyal, trustworthy president who just wanted the best for us (ha!) droning on and on." I would recommend that you and comma and the word "was" between "(ha!)" and "droning" so that we know what tense it's in. I don't know if you meant to do that and accidently left the word out but it'll make the sentence much more grammatically correct. So it s... (more »)

ShagunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:01 am:
Hmm.... intersting. I would really like to read more. So, the hunger part 2?

KealliiRaycene said...
Great! Definitely something I would read! All you need is some romance and you'd be right up my ally!!

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is soo, hmm, esoteric and enthralling! I really like the thoughts that this person is having.. sounds like an up-rising is in the future? You should absolutely turn this into something and continue it. I'd LOVE to read it.

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is awesome! Sounds like the start of a really cool novel where the main character is starving but then they overthrow the government and find out that there is actually food and they save their country from destruction. And they fall in love, of course. Just an idea. Anyway, you should really develop this cuz it would be even awesomer

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Intruiging.....well written, and I want to read more!!!!!  I like the description you use