Bob in the City: Chapter 2 | Teen Ink

Bob in the City: Chapter 2

By the20percent BRONZE, Bartlesville, Oklahoma
the20percent BRONZE, Bartlesville, Oklahoma

Some people say that you should just keep driving forward in life. But what happens when you hit a cul de sac?

In the morning, Bob awoke, expecting to see old furniture, in his old house, in his old town, but instead was greeted by the pale yellow walls of his rented room. He lay in bed for quite some time, thinking of all the things he had left behind in that small town.

It wasn't for long, though, because the smell of bacon cooking had wafted up into his room. He quickly jumped out of bed, dashed down the stairs and ran into the kitchen, where Patty was coooking breakfast. The kitchen looked old and well-used; a sight that Bob thought homely and inviting. Looking toward the table, Bob noticed someone sitting at it. The person was a frog, quite old, and what appeared to be a five-o-clock shadow. He was reading the daily newspaper.

Bob bid Patty a good morning, and seated himself two seats down from the old frog. The table had been laid with all manner of food, and Bob quickly helped himself to everything he could fit on his plate. Just as he was finishing a jelly-smeared piece of toast, the strange frog neatly folded his newspaper, and turned to Bob, holding out his flipper.

"Pleasure to meet you. My name's Prince." He stated jovially, his voice deep and gravelly.

Bob had to swallow his mouthful of toast before answering, shaking Prince's flipper with his sticky paw. "Hi, I'm Bob. I just moved here yesterday."

"New to the city, eh, kid?" Prince answered, picking up a napkin to wipe off his flipper.

"Yup. Moved here from South Figaro. Have you ever heard of it?"

Prince nodded. "Aye, I've been there before. A nice little town, it is."

Bob returned to his toast. "Have you lived here long, sir?"

"Sir?" Prince chuckled. "You have no need of callin' me sir, kid. Just call me Prince. And yes, I've lived here all my life. It's a difficult place to live in, sometimes, but I'm sure you'll get used to it."

Bob smiled. "I'm willing to learn, si...Prince." He looked toward the clock. "Oh, geez, I'm gonna be late for my first day of work. It was nice talking to you, Prince." He wolfed down the rest of his food, thanked Patty for the meal, and dashed off.

Bob had to run the entire way to Redd's Market, barely making it in time. Next time, he thought, I should use a taxi. He made his way around to the back of store, where Redd was unloading some furniture from a truck, along with the help of the truck driver.

Seeing Bob approach, Redd put down what he was carrying and threw Bob a blue apron with "Redd's Market" written on it. Bob quickly donned the garb and proceeded in helping Redd unpack the rest of the merchandise.

Upon finishing, Bob thought he saw Redd discretely hand the truck driver some money, confirming Bob's suspicions that this was a not-so-legal business. But, he thought, I suspect this isn't quite so different from Tom Nook's business tactics.

The rest of the day went much the same; unloading furniture and moving it to the front of the store. By the end of the day, Bob's muscles were aching from the strain of moving large amounts of boxes.

Upon returning to Patty's boarding house, Bob wolfed down his supper, and slogged his way up the stairs to his room, whereupon he climbed lazily into his bed and promptly fell asleep. City life, he thought, was going to be a lot different from what he thought.