Malice in Wonderland | Teen Ink

Malice in Wonderland

By archaeologistghost BRONZE, Walllingford, Connecticut
archaeologistghost BRONZE, Walllingford, Connecticut

"Different denotes neither good nor bad, but it certainly means not the same." ~The Cheshire Cat

It was the final hour. Everything I’d fought up to this point was put into perspective. Facing my own father had purpose.

Malice was standing with her back to me as the two dragons waged war on each other. One was entirely mechanical and the other was the last of its race.

“So it comes down to us. The weakling and the triumphant,” She grinned, teeth sharp and sparkling dead white in the moonlight and lightning flashes.

“I’m not weak. I passed all your ‘tests’ set before me. I’m ready to face you.” I gripped the ornate handle of my Oblivion Blade harder. The knife had served me well in facing the challenges that blocked my path. It now had one destiny and one destiny only. To rid me of Malice once and for all.
Another fire blast from the Old Ones ripped through the sky. It was almost time. How long would she keep the chatter up?

“You don’t know your own mind,” she quoted, continuing. “I rule over your sacred space. I am the queen of Wonderland. I am better than you, stronger than you, even prettier than you. Not a chance is there for you to defeat me.”

As she opened her mouth to speak again, I saw an opening and went for it. I threw my Marbles and jumped while the explosion distracted her pupil-less eyes.

Shocked with an expression of pure rage, she turned to finally face me as my Blade swung down in a silvery arc.

“You monologued.”

Before the Confrontation

I came upon the castle like anyone else who had been traveling for days in and out of their own mind. It was all dark stone and metal, a twisted thing that rose out of the ground like a giant detailed skyscraper. The huge black and grey dragon I flew on came to a halt just outside of the huge iron gates. He would go no further with me, but rather fight the dragon in Malice’s army. Her dragon was a huge, hulking beast of green scales and machinery. She had obviously altered it once I’d damaged it during a battle. I dismounted, landing with a hard thud on the stony, barren ground.

“You may go now. You have served me well. Farewell.” I gestured to the dragon, allowing it to take flight as its counterpart rose into the air, spitting fire. I was the only one now. I had to go on. I’d have to face her army alone. But I could do it. I had all of my weapons and all of my cunning and wit about me. Fighting Malice was the hard part.
I pushed open the gates, wincing at the loud metallic grinding as they screeched open. Before me lay an army of enormous size, with the weaklings in the front, and the harder enemies in the back, taking up the rear. Malice stood at the back, grinning wildly at me with her sharp teeth. She wore a dress of purple and red and gold, holding a sword that glinted off the fire blasts from high in the sky. Thunder rumbled and lightning flashed, but there was no rain at all. It was Malice’s idea of a proper battle arena.
I readied myself. This would be difficult without help.
I smiled as I charged headlong into battle. The first creature that came upon me was a rather large Snarling Skelecat. More like a Saber-toothed Skelecat. I cleanly sliced at it, cutting its head off rather quickly. I moved on to the next one.
I had no trouble up until the Bugpots. These tea pot creatures with painted on grins were larger and more aggressive than the ones I’d faced before. Their claw-like legs were sharp as a needle, and I had to be careful when I got too close. The Flypots attacked me from above, making good use of their cellophane wings. Once I’d killed the first few Bugpots by taking out their singular giant eyeballs, a particularly nasty Scorpionpot tried to sting me in the chest. I jumped and avoided it, stabbing wildly, my blade catching it in the eye. It ripped out with a popping noise, and I flashed a triumphant grin. I hoped Malice was watching me take down her creations one by one.
...
I landed softly, in a crouch, knife held away from my body in an extended arm. Blood stained my purple dress and white apron, with more than enough on the blade. Surrounding me was carnage, the bodies of my enemies strewn about like broken glass on the side of the road. The two dragons still waged war between themselves in the skies, black and green bodies twisting and turning about; it was unlikely one would go down soon.
Malice still stood her ground, sneering at me from the castle doors. Standing next to her was a large insect-like creature, half human and half bug. It had a human head, large fly wings, grasshopper legs and a human torso dressed in what appeared to be a black dress shirt. The battle wasn't over yet. I stared at the face for a while, knowing that it seemed familiar. It took me a moment but I finally realized.
It was my father. A younger, Wonderlandian version. He was more grotesque than I cared for. I remembered that my constant fights with him had brought him here. But what exactly had brought him into Malice’s army? She probably had done that just to spite me, warn me that messing with her would bring pain and torture. It was hard, seeing that I would have to fight my own father. But he wasn’t my father anymore. Just a tool and just a projection of my mind. Not real.
I swallowed hard and stood up to my full height. I wiped blood from my mouth and face with the back of my pale hand and glared, taking in the disturbing figure of the monstrosity that had my father’s face. It leered at me, hopping around like a jackrabbit next to Malice. I walked towards it, slowly; waiting for an attack that I knew would come any moment now. My bloodied hand gripped my Blade tightly, thatched handle imprinting on my skin.
“Have at me, then. If you’re not a coward,” I spoke, daring it to come closer just so it would taste the steel of my knife. A sickly, metallic voice answered me.
“I am no coward. I am awaiting orders, little girl.” It shifted from one clawed foot to the other, bouncing slightly. Steadying itself, Malice grinned and shouted out, her voice loud and piercing against my ears.
“Kill her!”
The bug-human pounced at me, taking an aerial attack. Its shadow was over my face just before it crashed down on top of me. But I was too quick for it. I ducked and rolled forwards, landing with the utmost precision so I didn't catch myself on the Oblivion Blade. I looked backwards at the creature, which earned me a snarl and a crashing attack from the back, the beast rushing at me with its praying mantis arms. I jumped up quickly. My Blade was out in front of me before it could touch my skin, used as a blockade so it couldn't catch me. This confrontation pushed me backwards, my lace-up Victorian boots digging into the hard soil of the ground. I grit my teeth in frustration. This was going to be a long battle.
I withdrew my blade, slicing upward, metal cutting green flesh. It let out a screech, not quite human enough. I pulled backwards, stumbling, and whipped out my Croquet Mallet. The giant thing was more like a huge hammer than an actual croquet mallet, but it served me well. The Blade went back into my pocket in my apron, subspace giving it enough room to exist within the supposedly tiny fabric space. I readied myself, as the creature came at me again; running at full speed, not caring that I now had a giant croquet mallet in my hands. It sliced at me. I fought back, hard. I swung at it, hitting the disgusting thing in the face, disheveling its dark hair. Its jaw cracked audibly and it spat into the dirt.
“Not so tough when I've got the giant hammer, now are we?” I taunted. It was merely a projection, nothing more; nothing to be afraid of.
“You selfish child! How dare you cut and smash me up and I can’t even properly filet you! Come here and taste the sweet liquor of death.”
“Like I will. Is that all you can do, hurl tired speeches? I’m neither hurt nor scared.”
“Death for you, missy.”
He sliced at me again, this time getting the dark purple sleeve on my dress. Missing my arm was a good thing, because I was pissed off at this point. I forgot that it shared the face of my father and switched back to the Oblivion Blade to finish things off.
“No. Death for you!” I jumped and swung down, my Blade piercing the shirt and flesh underneath. I let go. I raised a foot and kicked him down to the dusty ground, the creature groaning as it fell.
“Don’t mess with me. I swear to God I will end you if you try something like this again, Malice. Actually, I take that back. I’ll end you no matter what.” I kicked the creature’s left leg with the toe of my black boot, making sure it was dead once and for all. No movement. That was good. I bent over and ripped my Blade out of its place in the beast’s chest. I then wiped it on my already blood-stained apron. Why was it that all of the enemies had the same blood? Oh, right, it was my mind, so my rules. With the exception of where Malice had her slimy tentacles of destruction rooted in. I was just a morbid person like that, and made it so I could take my anger and homicidal actions out on creatures all in my head.
“It’s just you and me now, Malice. What ever shall you do?” I taunted, smiling. Her little pet was over and done with. She had no more defenses.
“What I’ll do now is end your pretty little life, once and for all, because you’re just a little bug under my booted foot, “ she snarled, clearly unhappy with the turn of events.
Malice glared at me, brandishing the sword she held within her equally pale hands. I stood facing her, coming closer with each breath we took. My lips were set in a tight grimace, readying my Blade for its destiny.
“Uwagh!” she yelled, lunging at me with the point of her sword intent on piercing my flesh. I locked blades with her, metal screeching and sending sparks flying. This pushed me backwards again. I dug my heels into the dirt and pushed back with tremendous force. She pushed harder, grinning maniacally.
“Just give up now. This fight will go on for ages and you’ll lose yourself within Wonderland.”
“Never.” I spat in her blank, white eyes, and backed up.
“You miserable infidel! How dare you?” She sliced me with precision, successfully cutting my forearm on the left side, opposite from the hand I used to wield my Blade. She was still on the steps of the palace. She swiftly kicked me in the chest and sent me down spinning in the dirt. I knelt down and grabbed my now bleeding arm. I grit my teeth but didn’t get up. Malice turned her back to me. I picked up my Blade and held it tightly with the wounded arm. I stood up slowly as she began to speak.
“So it comes down to us. The weakling and the triumphant.”

Malice lay flat on her back, a gash in her side, her Victorian dress torn in the middle. Her dark hair was splayed out behind her, like a pool of blood. She struggled to get up.
“What? How?!” Malice raged, groaning at the wound in her stomach. “I take my eyes off of you for one second and you attack me. How typical. But you won’t like what comes after that.” She closed her dead eyes and focused, picking up her jewel encrusted sword. Black tendrils of what appeared to be smoke rose from her body, lifting her up towards the sky. Back on her feet, she opened her eyes again. They were glowing brilliant white, her hair flowing back behind her as if in an invisible wind. I watched her, scanning for any weak spots. Before my waiting eyes, the wound in her side closed up and her dress repaired itself.
“Well, I’m in trouble now. But I’m not giving up! Never!” I yelled the last part to Malice, who was grinning eerily. Her teeth were sharper than normal, giving the impression of a mouthful of razors.
“You can fight all you want, child, but you’ll never win against me.” She rose up higher in the skies, pausing for a brief second before charging down at me with the silver weapon in both hands. She was so sure of herself. So haughty. And that would be her downfall. I jumped out of the way, waiting for the right moment. Malice cackled and flew upwards again, taking in a quick breath to speak again. I threw my Blade at her, hitting her square in the chest. It pushed her backwards and she looked hurt for a moment.
“That’s the problem with you. You talk too much.” I pushed off the ground and leapt into the air, reaching for my weapon. I caught hold of it and pulled it out of my opponent with a loud, fleshy sucking noise. I kicked at her and landed in a crouch. She went down in a crumpled heap, the darkness fading and the white light disappearing from her eyes. I walked over to her and eyed the bandages she wore on her wrists and throat.
“Why don’t we see what you truly are underneath this mask?” I knelt down on her arms so she wouldn’t get up and I could have easy access to the bandages on her wrists. I first undid the right wrist’s bandage. Malice thrashed about underneath me, screaming expletives and begging for me to not undo the gauze. I slowly unwound the bandage on her right wrist, revealing a deep slash. It wasn’t bleeding but it wasn’t healing either. The other wrist was the same. I reached up for the final bandage on her neck and she went quiet. Whispering, she forced me to come closer so I could hear her.
“In doing this you’re just as cruel as me. Reducing me to nothing but dust in the wind. Granted I would do the same to you had I the chance but still, you’re just as awful and indignant as me. You’ll never be able to regain yourself when I’m gone. You’ll miss being out of control. And if you don’t, you’ll get lonely without voices telling you what to do. You’re scared of being sane. I can tell. So be it then. And you’ll forever be remembered as the hero of Wonderland. Pft. Some gratification that is.”
“Silence. Let me do what I came to do.” I undid the bandage around her neck, expecting the worst. I was right. This wound was deepest of all, exposed tendons clear and white in the dark red surrounding it. It wasn’t bleeding either, but there was some sort of dark liquid around the edges. It looked like tar. Almost instantly, Malice groaned and closed her eyes slowly, lips parting in a silent scream as she slipped into the black void of death. Her words echoed in my skull but I stood strong. I stood up again, picking up my Blade. I stood there for a good few minutes before staggering to one side and passing out, returning to reality.
“Did you finish the job?” A voice asked me. I opened my eyes slowly, piercing bright light invading. I squinted against the harsh flare, as my eyes adjusted. I was able to open them fully after a few seconds. I sat up slowly, feeling the plush chair I was sitting in under my palms. An eager therapist sat off to the side of me, apparently watching over me. She cocked her head to the side, her short black hair tilting as she did so. Her kohl rimmed eyes scanned my face for any signs of what had happened in my Wonderland. “I said, did you finish the job,Marcy?”
“Yes. Malice is dead. I rule over Wonderland now.”
“Excellent! This means our little experiment was a success.”
“I realize. Can I go now? I’m really tired….”
“Of course. Just tell me if there are any complications or Malice comes back.”
“Alright.” I stood up and walked out of the therapist’s office, shutting the door behind me softly. I was back to the old Marcy again. Things were right with the world and I was once again queen as it should have been always. I knew my life was going to be different from then on. I felt it in my bones, in my soul.
“Finally. I have my happy ending.”

A piece based off of Alice in Wonderland, and more importantly, the video game adaptation known as Alice: Madness Returns.