When the Sky is Falling (Hunger Games)

I sit alone. I always have. I always will, even when I pretend to forget and move on. I won't move on. Never.

All the death, all the pain, all the blood and sorrow. No, I will never move on from that. Oh, look. My sky is falling again.

Yes, my carefully constructed sky, look at it shatter.

They say not to put up walls because it's bad to keep others out. I say, I don't keep people out, I keep me in.

Look at how slowly it rains down around us, my sky's deadly shards.

You told me that it would be okay, someday. I'm still waiting. How about you? You seem content, even happy. All I ever wanted for you.

The pieces lay around me, of my now gone sky.

I stand now. I walk alone, to her grave. She died in flowers. She died. Sometimes I envy her.

I am shattered, just like my sky.

A sweet song comes from the mockingjays, a synchronized garbled chorus of that song, the Hanging Tree. It's melody lifts and lilts me as I place blue flowers on the young girl's (or old now? It has been so long) grave. I sing along to the last verse.

"Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free." What would I give to be free?

My delicate sky is strewn around me as I walk away.

Hai_im_awkward said...
Jan. 8 at 8:24 pm:
It's really different, and kind of creepy. But I love it! It's really good and impressive for a short story.

Athena19This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 7 at 1:51 pm:
This is really beautiful! It really brought back the reality of the things that Katniss faced, and how she'll never really be rid of them. I loved it!  

Laurel-F.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 7 at 10:51 am:
This is really good! So thoughtful, makes me think. Can you check out my story?