The Death of Life: A Creation Myth

Before people lived on this soil, a time that none have lived long enough to remember, a time before time itself, there was an emptiness that filled every crack and every corner of the universe. It was called the Great Expanse, and had but one force to regulate it all: Addermore, a mighty serpent. Every time the moon passed his eye, giving it a hoary gleam that sparkled in the blackness of the Great Expanse, Addermore laid one egg, and placed it upon a spot of light that would protect it forever. Each egg contained a kind of animal, and when the egg hatched, that animal would populate the light spot, the cracked shells of the eggs providing a hard, cold bed for it to live upon.

His first egg, the tortoise, was very wise, and having been on the light spot for so long that he could not remember the Great Expanse. The tortoise rowed all around the light spot in a tiny piece of egg shell with one paddle, humming methodically, causing the bright mist to part before him. Once, he rowed into the Expanse, until he could speak with Addermore.

“You children,” he said, “will be your death. No more eggs must be placed on this light spot, or you will come to a terrible end.” Nonetheless, Addermore set one more egg down on the light, hoping desperately that it would not kill him. The egg hatched, and out of it emerged human life, clambering around their new home, and, hungry for a true meal, hunting the other animals more fiercely than they hunted each other.

Over time, the animals became accustomed to the first humans, but soon the warmth of summertime turned to cold, dark winter, and the first humans became hungry. They realized that no animals in the light spot could satisfy the famine, so they traveled up, into the Great Expanse, and sent their spears through the back of the great Addermore causing him to fall from the sky onto the light spot. His blood became the seas, and his mangled body became the land that humans desired to live on. But with his dying breath, his venom seeped into the ocean, and made it salty, so the humans could not drink it. He gave all animals gifts to defend themselves, so that they could avenge him when he was gone.

He died proudly, and the fungus and lichen that coated his body became trees, and his scales twisted with age, becoming rocks and mountains, and from that day on, the humans have lived on the body of Addermore as if it was the land itself. Remainders of the egg shells they hatched from float on the seas in the form of islands. Traces of Addermore’s anger at the humans is seen in subtle bits of nature: the wrinkled brown of a dying leaf, the twisted form of a worm having drowned in a puddle, the shadows that fall under the trees at night, cursing the light spot, now called the Earth, with ancient bits of the Great Expanse.

The tortoise, watching Addermore’s body grow into the Earth, rowing through the water now, instead of the mist, muttered his words to Addermore once again, and, so humans could not live for eternity, he created time.

Non-Sibi-Sed-PatriaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It's interesting, a different point of view.  Good job! :-D

AthenaMarisaDeterminedbyFateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 16, 2012 at 6:05 pm :
Thanks! :)

mystyksuniverse said...
I'd love to know your thought process. How your brain works, wow, it must be something. One grammatical error: second paragraph first sentence is worded strangely. Other than that it's fantastic and I found nothing else wrong.

Sunnyskyes96 said...
Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:07 am:
I love this the imagination.... is awesome Keep up the good work!!

Joele12 said...
That was beautiful.

MarisaCoulterCrazyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:36 pm :
Thank you. We did a two week long unit on creation myths in English class, and then we had to write our own.