Winter's Eyes: Chapter 6

Naruto, Sasuke, and Hinata all sat on the grass outside of the school. They had been silent ever since they had gotten there, and the only reason Hinata knew that the others were there was the occasional rustling and bored sigh from Naruto. Just then she heard the school door open and tensed. She heard footsteps coming towards them and inched away, accidentally bumping into Naruto in the process.

Naruto saw Hinata's nervousness and touched her hand reassuringly. Her face turned bright red and she ducked her head. Sasuke looked up in mild surprise to see the girls from yesterday coming towards them. Ino smiled nicely at them while Sakura glared slightly. They stopped about a foot away and Sakura crossed her arms. Ino nudged her a bit, and Sakura sighed.

"I'd just like to say sorry for blowing up yesterday," she said, not seeming very sorry about it. Ino rolled her eyes and turned to the others.

"She really is sorry, even if she doesn't sound like it," she assured them. She looked at Sasuke expectantly and Sakura glared threateningly at him. He simply shrugged.

"Ok," he said shortly. Sakura's eyes narrowed into slits and she opened her mouth to say something only to be stopped when Ino put a hand on her shoulder.

"So, would it be ok if we sat with you guys?" she asked. Sakura looked like she wanted to protest but held her tongue, instead crossing her arms and looking away. Sasuke shrugged and looked at Naruto, who turned to Hinata.

"You alright with that, Hinata?" he asked. Hinata jumped a bit.

"E-Er, of course, N-Naruto…" she answered. The two both knew how she acted around new people, and she guessed they were making sure she was comfortable with someone else sitting with them. She felt a small smile grace her lips at the thought of them caring if she was comfortable or not. Naruto turned to the other girls and grinned.

"Sure, go ahead," he said. Ino smiled gratefully and settled down next to Hinata, while Sakura huffed and plopped down next to her. It was silent for a second, an awkward silent instead of the usual comfortable silence, before Ino finally spoke.

"So you're Sasuke," she said, pointing at him, "and you're Hinata, but who are you?" The question was appointed to Naruto.

"Naruto," he said, grinning. Ino smiled while Sakura eyed him knowingly.

"I'm Ino, and this is Sakura," she said, motioning to her friend.

Naruto nodded while Sakura huffed. It was quiet again and she eyed the blond boy, Naruto. He had seen her and Ino yesterday, yet today he acted as if nothing had happened; he hadn't even asked about it like most people would. Maybe these guys aren't like most people, she thought, observing the group.

They all seemed slightly reserved, even the loud blond, who was now blathering on about something she didn't bother to listen to. The blind girl, Hinata, was right by him, and seemed to be listening to everything he said. Finally, the black haired boy, Sasuke.

Sakura's eyes narrowed in distrust. She didn't like how rude he was, despite the fact that he hung out with such nice- seeming people like Naruto and Hinata. What was his angle in hanging out with them? Or did he just not have anyone else to go to? Sakura let out a sigh, giving up. Oh well. Hopefully this would be the last day they sat together, and the last day she had to think about any of them.

Ino's too nice for her own good, she thought, glancing at her friend, who was laughing at something Naruto said. Her heart squeezed and Sakura looked away. Meanwhile, Sasuke watched Sakura curiously. She seemed mean, and he knew she hated him, but every time she looked at Ino her gaze would turn sad and she'd look away. He doubted she would ever tell him what why this was if he asked, or even if he didn't. Oh well. They would probably be gone tomorrow. Sakura would most likely make sure of that. The lunch ended and they all parted ways. Sakura glanced back at the others as her and Ino walked to class.

"Why did we have to sit with them?" she asked. Ino sighed and shrugged.

"I don't know, they seem nice," she said, smiling a little, "They're… interesting." Sakura sighed and shook her head.

"Not that Sasuke kid," she pointed out, "He's a jerk." Ino laughed.

"You're just mad because you think he's cute!" Sakura's face reddened as she protested loudly, Ino still laughing at her. The voices died down and it was quiet again.

"Sometimes I think you're too nice for your own good, Ino," Sakura admitted. Ino shook her head.

"What does a person have if they don't have the choice to be nice?" she asked, "I choose to be nice because everyone has a history, Sakura, everyone. Me, you, most likely Hinata and Naruto, even Sasuke. If I don't choose to make other people happy, what do I have?" Sakura looked away.

"You have me…" Ino smiled and hugged her friend.

"I know," she murmured, "I know. And I appreciate it, Sakura. I really do." Ino pulled away and gave her friend a large smile.

"Now come on, we don't want to be late, do we?"