The Other Side of the Album

Part 1:
It was 8:00 on a dark, rainy October morning in New York. David was getting ready for another long day ahead of him full of interviews and promo for his latest album, The Other Side of Down.

A late night and early morning equaled a grumpy David as he stumbled out of his hotel room with flat hair and a hoodie. Today was one of the last days of promo, and David was exhausted.

“Should I wear this? Do I look homeless? Will it matter? What will people think, this is New York. What am I even doing today?” David asked all these questions out loud to himself.

David soon met up with his crew, which only consisted of about three people, at the end of the hallway, all gathered in front of the elevator.

“Good morning David.” his manager greeted.

“Good morning.” David gave a half smile. He really wasn’t a morning person.

They all piled into the elevator. David felt like the slow moving box he was standing in was going to be symbolic of this whole day: Slow but still on the move. David glanced up at the little blinking numbers. 6, then 5, then 4. He couldn’t help but be reminded of his own song as he started humming quietly to himself.

Finally they made it to the lobby and were off to have breakfast. David would never normally pay so much for breakfast at the hotel, but since he was with everyone, he felt obligated.

The morning felt like it was dragging on as David enjoyed his pancakes. Right as he was about to take his last syrup-filled bite, he saw a flash. He glanced up to see a girl at a table not too far ahead of him holding a camera. David already wasn’t in the best mood, he really didn’t need this.

As he noticed everyone else’s empty plates, he decided not to even finish his last bite and was ready to leave. Everyone stood from the table and started heading out while David took out his phone to tweet. Suddenly, amidst the commotion and shuffling of everyone leaving, David dropped his phone, it landing under an occupied table. He sighed as he went over to get it. As he walked over, he noticed the woman at the table glance at his phone beneath her, then just continue eating. David would’ve stopped in his tracks in shock if his crew wasn’t already headed out the door.

David quickly bent down and grabbed his phone before hurrying out. David never expected to have people bow down to him, but he knew it was common courtesy to help someone out if they drop something. Where is the love?

David and his crew were packed into a taxi and were heading off to MTV for some interviews.

“Here! It’s Kiss 108 in Boston, your interview starts in less than a minute and the DJ is on the phone!” David’s manager whispered as she shoved her cell phone at him.

David grabbed it and the interview began. Sleepiness and loud, hyped up DJs didn’t exactly go together.

Finally, as expected of morning DJs, they got into touchy subjects.

“So what’s your dad been up to? Is he with you?” one of the DJ’s asked.

“Umm, no, n-not today.” David stuttered. Suddenly “Stomping The Roses” started blasting from the taxi driver’s phone, making David cringe.

“Sorry, I’m a fan.” the driver said.

With a phone to one ear and his own voice blasting into the other, David just wanted to leave the car right then. He wasn’t in the mood for this stuff today. Once his phoner ended he stayed silent as he stared out the window at the world around him. It looked just as hectic and clustered as the taxi he was stuck in at the moment.

Finally they made it to the MTV offices. Interview after interview with different people, the questions were starting to get old, and David’s answers were getting older. One of the hardest at the moment was being asked about the writing process of his current single “Falling Stars”. One of the only two songs on the album he didn’t help pen, and he had to be asked about it. Claiming this album is more “you” and then telling people you didn’t help write your single isn’t exactly good.

The next stop on their promo day was at Cambio. Already thinking they were late, they all rushed in to find out that they had an extra 10 minutes to spare. As his manager took this time to make more plans, lucky for David, he was put in a room with a beautiful grand piano. The second David spotted it his eyes lit up with joy. It was the first thing to really bring a smile to his face all day. After learning he had time to kill, David sneaked over to the piano.

He sat down and traced his fingers over the white, ivory keys. He looked at the keys for a few seconds before playing a slow, quiet melody. The more he played, the more into it he got as the music shot from his fingertips throughout his body as he closed his eyes and got lost in the sound. Though it didn’t take long for the day’s mishaps to come creeping into his head one by one, making him go off key.

He normally didn’t let things get to him this much, but he was just having an off day. Finally it was time for lunch. Besides making music, it was no secret that eating was one of David’s favorite things, especially lately since it was his only smidgen of time to relax. Though this lunch was different as it was on the go, while hearing the plans for the rest of the week.

After scarfing down his sandwich, David decided to tweet again.

“Not having the best day.. ugh. lol”

After a long interview and photo session with SWRV and annoying promo drops for Music Choice, David was now back in his hotel room with his manager, and his busy day had finally come to an end. Or so he thought.

“Ok David, this stack of CDs needs to be signed and you have just one more quick phoner with KIIS FM in LA.” his manager blurted as she dialed her phone and pointed at the stack of albums on the table.

David sighed as he got out his laptop and decided to check twitter. He clicked on his replies and saw numerous tweets asking if he was alright, and worse, some actually shocked at his more irritated sounding tweet. Tweets like those were rare from him, but were always more in the moment. David quickly tried to clear it up for everyone, saying that he’s feeling better now.

He soon realized he was too late when not even a minute into the interview with KIIS FM he was asked about his tweet.

“So David, earlier this afternoon you tweeted and said that you weren’t having the best day today. What’s up?”

“Uhh, just, you know,” David couldn’t seem to find the right words.

“What, is it your dad? Is he there right now? Ok, speak in code, David. Is the hawk in the nest?” the DJ joked.

But David didn’t laugh. He didn’t even fake laugh at it. He simply just sat there and listened until finally he had enough. David hung up and whipped the phone across the room.

“David?” his manager asked in shock. “What’s the matter with you?” she asked as she picked up her phone.

“What’s the matter with me? This whole DAY is what’s the matter with me! Actually this whole week, month! I have been working nonstop to make this album and now promoting it. I’m exhausted and no one even cares. I just keep on trudging through interviews and photo shoots and stupid promo drops!” By this point David was starting to lose it.

“I’ve had it! I know this is what comes with doing what I love to do, but I wish just for once people would show a little bit of compassion. I was asked about my father twice today! I had to work through lunch, and when I try to vent a little on twitter I get all these overly concerned tweets thrown at me. And I know they just care about me but… ugh!”

The more David spoke the more he started realizing how bad he must have sounded. Shouting and complaining about everything, he was starting to look like a full on prima donna.

“Obviously David, you need a break. I’m sorry I didn’t realize it sooner. Just, get some sleep tonight.” His manager said quietly before leaving his room.

David just sat there, shocked at himself. How did it get to this point? He’s always been told he had such a good head on his shoulders and was so down to earth. He never wanted to seem cocky, but he knew he was pretty level headed considering his current status. For him this behavior was more than uncharacteristic, it was like a completely different person.

David laid in bed and couldn’t help replaying his entire day in his head. From dropping his cell phone in the hotel lobby to his little outburst to his manager, David couldn’t help but wonder where he would go from here…

When David awoke he was lying on a white floor, all white surrounding him. Everywhere he looked was blank white. Suddenly he saw someone coming towards him.

“Wh-Who are you??” he asked as he got up.

“I am the Spirit of TOSOD.” a young girl in white spoke as she stood before him.

“TOSOD? Like, my album?” David asked.

“Exactly.”

David stared at her, then continued looking around. All he saw was white. He was beginning to think he had died and gone to heaven.

“Wh-Where am I?” David asked warily.

“You’re in The Other Side of Down.” she said.

“What?” David was starting to think he was losing it. Maybe he was dreaming?

“You don’t believe me, have a look.” she said as she pointed to their right.

David stared at the whiteness in front of him as he walked further and further. He noticed brown letters above him and finally pushed his hand forward. His hand hit a clear, hard wall. As David peaked out through the pellucid barrier, he saw his hotel room. He glanced up at the letters again and realized it spelled out his name.

He was inside The Other Side of Down.
?

Part 2:
David turned around and faced the girl. She had long, brown hair and hazel eyes. She was wearing a white gown and had thin, white wings. She could have passed for an angel. And his pallid surroundings could have passed for heaven. But if he hadn’t died, then he had definitely gone insane.

“Did you say I’m in The Other Side of Down?” he asked.

“Yes.” she simply replied.

“But, that’s not even possible. You can’t get stuck inside a CD.”

“Yes you can.”

“No, where are we really? Why am I here?” David asked a bit nervously.

“David, you couldn’t get to the other side of down, so now you’re in it.” she explained.

David stared at her. She was right, he hadn’t exactly been on the other side of down lately, but he had a good excuse, he thought.

“How did this happen?” he asked.

“On this album you sing about being happy, positive, knowing things will get better, and this entire day all you’ve been is the opposite. Your music doesn’t match up with your mind-state. If you want everyone else to learn something from this album, first you need to.” she said as she snapped her fingers.

Suddenly her and David appeared in David’s hotel room. David was taken aback as he saw himself scurrying around the room, getting ready for the day that morning.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“Don’t worry, he can’t see us. Just keep watching.” she commanded.

As hard as it was, David kept watching. He didn’t like watching videos of himself never mind a three dimensional, life-like replay of his day.

-“Should I wear this? Do I look homeless? Will it matter? What will people think, this is New York. What am I even doing today?”-

“Look at yourself, David. Worrying about everything and asking yourself all these questions,” she turned to face him. “You need to just calm down and take a breather. Life is confusing, but you can make it to the other side of down if you try.” she said.

David cringed at the site of his stressed out self as he thought about what she had just said.

“Ok, I get it. I need to get on the other side of down. Can I go back to my actual hotel room now?” David asked.

“No, you don’t seem too convinced yet.” the Spirit of TOSOD said as she snapped her fingers, bringing them inside that morning’s elevator ride.

“Man, this was crammed enough without the two of us.” David squirmed in the corner of the elevator.

“Oh hush. Watch yourself, David.” she said.

David did as he was told.

-David felt like the slow moving box he was standing in was going to be symbolic of this whole day: Slow but still on the move. David glanced up at the little blinking numbers. 6, then 5, then 4. He couldn’t help but be reminded of his own song.-

“See that look on your face? That stressed, even unhappy look? What was going through your mind?” she asked.

“I just started thinking about how slow the day was going to be.” he admitted.

“David, really? You were in an actual elevator and you still didn’t get it? Life is an endless ride, but it’s the butterflies that keep you feeling alive. Even if it was a slow day, that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be eventful. Take in every moment while it lasts, David.”

Those words hit David harder than her previous ones. Once again, she was right. He was standing in an elevator and the message of his own song didn’t even cross his mind.

“Come on, we’re not done yet.” she said as she snapped her fingers.

The two were now in the hotel lobby, the moment when David dropped his phone.

-Right as he was about to take his last syrup-filled bite, he saw a flash. He glanced up to see a girl at a table not too far ahead of him holding a camera. David already wasn’t in the best mood, he really didn’t need this.-

“Oh come on, I didn’t do anything wrong here.” David said. But the Spirit of TOSOD just kept watching.

-David dropped his phone, it landing under an occupied table. He sighed as he went over to get it. As he walked over, he noticed the woman at the table glance at his phone beneath her, then just continue eating. David would’ve stopped in his tracks in shock if his crew wasn’t already headed out the door.

David quickly bent down and grabbed his phone before hurrying out. David never expected to have people bow down to him, but he knew it was common courtesy to help someone out if they drop something. Where is the love?-

“I mean, look. That woman knew my phone fell under her table and she just ignored it.” David said.

“You’re right, that girl shouldn’t have taken pictures of you and that woman should’ve helped you. There’s something ‘bout love, right?” she said. “Really, though, what they were doing was just stomping the roses.” she said as she snapped her fingers.

-Finally, as expected of morning DJs, they got into touchy subjects.

“Sorry, I’m a fan.” the driver said.

With a phone to one ear and his voice blasting into the other, David just wanted to leave the car right then. He wasn’t in the mood for this stuff today. Once his phoner ended he stayed silent as he stared out the window at the world around him. It looked just as hectic and clustered as the taxi he was stuck in at the moment.-

“Wow, those DJs really stomped the roses, huh? And all that commotion after, well what happened to “No it doesn’t really matter, no I’m not getting mad, it’s ok ‘cause I know where I’m going”? she asked.

David opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off. “David, there’s always going to be someone stomping on your roses and there will always be commotion and unexpected things happening, but it’s about how you deal with it all that really matters. Don’t get mad, because you know where you’re going.” she said.

David stared at her, realizing she was right. The score was 4 to 1 now. But he of all people should know everything these songs teach, he was the one singing them. Maybe he really was the complete opposite of his album.

Part 3:
The Spirit of TOSOD snapped her fingers once again, now bringing them to the trip to Cambio where David sat at the piano.

-He sat down and traced his fingers over the white, ivory keys. He looked at the keys for a few seconds before playing a slow, quiet melody. The more he played, the more into it he got as the music shot from his fingertips throughout his body as he closed his eyes and got lost in the sound. Though it didn’t take long for the day’s mishaps to come creeping into his mind one by one, making him go off key.-

“Let me guess, you started thinking about everything that went wrong today and messed up because of it? Ever think about maybe just, thinkin’ about parachutes and airplanes? Taking some time to just get lost in your own world?” she asked.

“Ok, you’re right. I shouldn’t have kept letting that stuff bother me… Hey wait, what happened to “Falling Stars”?” he asked.

“Eh, you’ve never really connected with “Falling Stars”. You didn’t have any part in writing it, and it doesn’t completely fit the album.” she snarled.

David couldn’t agree more as he smiled while she snapped her fingers.

-Finally it was time for lunch. Besides making music, it was no secret that eating was one of David’s favorite things, especially lately since it was his only smidgen of time to relax. Though this lunch was different as it was on the go, while hearing the plans for the rest of the week.-

“Now wait, nothing happened here?” David said.

-After scarfing down his sandwich, David decided to tweet again.

“Not having the best day.. ugh. lol”-

“Really? Are you telling me you didn’t wish your lunch wasn’t interrupted by hearing all of the plans from your manager? Are you telling me you actually took the time to look around and appreciate the food you had in front of you, and appreciate the fact that you actually have all these plans for promoting your third album?” she asked.

David stayed silent at the fact that she was right. There are so many people who probably didn’t even get lunch today, plus the things he gets to do from doing what he loves are sometimes unbelievable. Hardly anyone gets to experience the things he does, and he was taking it for granted.

-David sighed as he got out his laptop and decided to check twitter. He clicked on his replies and saw numerous tweets asking if he was alright, and worse, some actually shocked at his more irritated sounding tweet. Tweets like those were rare from him, but were always more in the moment. David quickly tried to clear it up for everyone, saying that he’s feeling better now.

“So David, earlier this afternoon you tweeted and said that you weren’t having the best day today. What’s up?”-

David let out a long, irritated sigh as he watched.

“Something wrong?” she asked.

“That was just really annoying. People look way too much into my tweets sometimes and sometimes I wish DJs wouldn’t be so bold about things.” David vented.

“Oh, so you realized how a single tweet can have such a big impact, for better or for worse. A single tweet, and it could all be over. Maybe instead of tweeting things like that, you should tweet something positive, something to show your fans how much you appreciate them.”

“Because I’m in a good place and I hope it’s not too late, I get it.” David said a bit agitatedly.

The Spirit of TOSOD gave David a slight grimace as she continued watching.

-David hung up and whipped the phone across the room.

“What’s the matter with me? This whole DAY is what’s the matter with me. Actually this whole week, month! I have been working nonstop to make this album and now promote. I’m exhausted and no one even cares. I just keep on trudging through interviews and photo shoots and stupid promo drops!” David was now on a roll.

“I’ve had it! I know this is what comes with doing what I love to do, but I wish just for once people would show a little bit of compassion. I was asked about my father twice today! I had to work through lunch, and when I try to vent a little on twitter I get all these overly concerned tweets thrown at me. And I know they just care about me but… ugh!”-

If David was a turtle he would’ve shrunk deep into his shell as his face turned red at his outburst.

“I can’t believe I acted that way.” David whispered practically to himself.

“Yeah, that’s an awful lot of complaining, isn’t it? Considering you’re living your dream, a few interviews and some protective fans isn’t really that bad, in my opinion.” she said.

He looked at her a bit nervously as he came to the conclusion that he was wrong. He was wrong to act the way he did the entire day. If he keeps this up, he won’t get anywhere in his career, or in his life.

“A-Are we done?” David asked a bit sadly.

“David, I didn’t do all this to make you feel bad about yourself, I did it to help you. To show you how easy it is to change the way you look at things.” She said as she nodded towards the David that stood in the hotel room.

-David just sat there, shocked at himself. How did it get to this point? He’s always been told he had such a good head on his shoulders and was so down to earth. He never wanted to seem cocky, but he knew he was pretty level headed considering his current status. For him this behavior was more than uncharacteristic, it was like a completely different person.

David laid in bed and couldn’t help replaying his entire day in his head. From dropping his cell phone in the hotel lobby to his little outburst to his manager, David couldn’t help but wonder where he would go from here…-

David let his head drop in shame as those unsure and doubtful thoughts reoccurred in his mind.

“David, listen to me. Everybody has off days, but even on the most off day, things can be turned around, but only if you try. Things do change, and things do get better, didn’t you say you knew that?” she asked with a smile.

David smiled as he tried to take in everything she had said to him this entire time. He now had what he needed to make it to the other side of down.

“Ok, I think my work here is done.” she said as she snapped her fingers, bringing the two back to the whiteness that was the CD cover.

“Thank you, for everything. I guess I just needed a reminder.” David shrugged.

“You’re welcome. Doing what you do is tough, but you’re smart. I mean, come on, it was you who wrote all these songs, so all these things are in you, it’s just a matter of perusing it.” she said sweetly.

“Hey, just one more thing. What about “My Kind of Perfect”? That’s the only song that you didn’t mention.” he said, a bit confused.

“David, don’t worry about that one. The right time and the right girl will come, maybe sooner than you think.” she smiled as she snapped her fingers for the last time.

David opened his eyes wide as he sat up in his bed. He looked around and realized he was in his hotel room. It was all a dream?

Morning arrived, and David jumped out of bed bright and early. The sun was shining and David was cheerier than ever. He met up with his crew down in the lobby for breakfast with a smile on his face.

“Oh, someone’s feeling better I see.” his manager said as he walked up to their table.

“Yeah,” David laughed shyly. “Listen, I’m sorry for what happened last night. I was just overwhelmed with everything. I’m better now though, in fact, I’m on the other side of down.” he giggled.

David glanced around the lobby and did a double take when he looked towards the entrance of the hotel. A girl with long, brown hair in a white shirt stood in the doorway. She smiled at him before turning around to leave as a song started playing in his head.

Will I turn the corner, see my future in a beautiful face…

David turned back around. “Maybe.” he smiled.

★FallingStars★ said...

Great job! Love the ending :)