Macbeth's Saving Speech | Teen Ink

Macbeth's Saving Speech

By Gettysburg63 PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Gettysburg63 PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do... the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." -General George S. Patton

*Speeches are what have rallied armies ever since the existence of war. When all seems lost, the final and possibly deadliest weapon in a general's arsenal is his words. In William Shakespeare's novel Macbeth, a tyrant Scottish leader name Macbeth murdered his way into power and murdered to keep his power. In the end he was locked up in his castle with a select number of soldiers. Only a few miles away step by step an army marched to depose the despot King Macbeth. A single speech probably could have saved his kingdom, rallying his troops for his "just" cause, but instead he just waited with his insanity. It is my belief that if Macbeth formed the speech I created below he could have rallied his men and have been able to put up a feasible resistance. It has bits of some of the world's most famous leaders' speeches to make it even more effective.

Good people of Scotland! I am not a crook! The following weeks have been infested with turmoil. It though is a just cause and is similar to many others that had come before. One great and wise leader had once said this great speech many years ago. I seem it is now fitting for it to be said once again.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is
wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not
warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

Now, I am sure you would all like to hear of the dramatic events that have occurred in our nation of Scotland, and why they have occurred. Well, the reason why isn't much different than it was those many years ago, when this speech was given. We are the patriots of our time. And the blood of tyrants we shall shed. Now many of you believe that King Duncan was not a tyrant, as did I at one time. These rumors though are false, as of many other rumors flowing throughout the country. King Duncan and many of his other associates have been plotting and conspiring for many months to give this great country of Scotland over to the totalitarian control of England. In return these traitors would be given vasts amounts of currency and positions of higher status in this new combined Scottish-English empire. What would soon follow would be repression on scales never seen before. Children would walk streets orphaned and starving. Religion would be banned. All would be taxed highly until there is nothing more to tax. These weeks of turmoil have been necessary, so that we may avoid a sinister English occupation for lifetimes. We have strained the blood of Scotland, and now we are a pure warrior class. This is unlike the English mutts, who are at this moment conspiring the conquest and enslavement of our country. Now is the time to brandish our swords and rise up as one, or we shall all fall alone. We must unite; for the sake of religion; for our children; for the right to live. Is life so dear or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! Follow me and we shall remain free. I am a soldier of Scotland, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight!

*Parts of speech courtesy to the following people: Thomas Jefferson

Patrick Henry

Richard Nixon

General George S. Patton