A Memory : The Hunger Games | Teen Ink

A Memory : The Hunger Games

He wrapped his arms around me, and for the first time I felt entirely safe. The warmth that radiated from his skin inside the sleeping bag kept us from freezing in this frigid air. Obviously this is a creation of the Game Makers. Peeta put his warm soft lips to my good ear. “Glad we get to keep each other warm.” My thoughts are still unclear about how I feel about Peeta. I know that he is only a friend, if that. As I felt Peeta's breath against my skin, I thought of Gale. A memory reappeared in my mind.

We were perched high up in a tree, one with many thick branches. He sat with his legs stretched out across the braches. I sat with my bow ready to shoot if I saw any game. Gale was looking at my hair, thick and dark. I put my bow down, seeing as today was not a good hunting day. Yet, it was a very hollow day. I couldn't get the thoughts of food out of my mind. Maybe we could go to the Hob later and trade some spices or medicine for a groosling. I feel a hand reach underneath my arm, around my chest, pulling me towards Gale. His arms around me, holding me. With a quick movement, he threw my body on top of his. I looked straight into his gray eyes, and I knew that something interesting was about to happen. “Do you love me?” I didn't know how to reply when he looks along my face. I can see him studying my every detail, with precision. He stops, putting to fingers around my chin, as if to hold my face. Then he pulls me into him. A deep, slow kiss. One I never would've expected from Gale. I close my eyes, trying to enjoy this kiss. I couldn't though, it wasn't right. Gale was supposed to be my best friend, not my boyfriend. I wanted to look him straight into the eyes and tell him I don't want children, and I don't want to be married. Instead, I lean back into him for another kiss. Then another. I finally hear a strange singing. A mockingjay flies over head, and I know that something terribly wrong has just happened.

Reminiscing the memory, I find myself coming back from a trance. I find myself with my nose against Peeta's lips. I know the Capitol is eating this romance up, just like they eat their precious dishes. I want to make this as convincing as possible. I lift myself up, pulling my face up so that I am looking directly into his eyes. He looks at me, and I give him a soft easy kiss. Any girls that are watching are obviously envious. I let the words simmer on my tongue like hot peppers for a moment. Then they spill out. “I love you, Peeta Mellark.”

I fall into a deep sleep, almost as soon as I say the words. I don't know how long I sleep, but when I wake up, I don't see Peeta. There are blood spots on the sleeping bag where he would've been laying. I look down, and see him there. Peeta Mellark, lying there. That's when I see Cato and Thresh running towards the tree I am in. My only escape is to jump from tree to tree, from the tactics that Rue taught me. On the inside, I know what I said isn't true. I don't really love Peeta. It's all for the show, right? But in me, deep within me, I feel someone telling me to go down to the bottom of the tree. Risk your life for someone you know you really care about. I hear Cato and Thresh getting nearer, closing in on me and Peeta. I grab my bow, and the eight arrows I have left and begin to shoot. The arrows deflect, almost as though they have an invisible armor. Then I realize, they're not here to kill me. They're here to kill Peeta.

I have been reading the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, and they're immensely inspirational. The books are not only entertaining, but they're great on either side of the spectrum. The violence and romance weigh each other out perfectly. This is only the beginning to what I will write as far as Fan Fiction goes on Suzanne Collin's "The Hunger Games" trilogy.