A New Beginning (part 5) | Teen Ink

A New Beginning (part 5)

July 29, 2010
By Runner242 GOLD, Rochester, New York
Runner242 GOLD, Rochester, New York
16 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Dumbledore


“Renesmee, the phone is for you,” Billy said handing me the phone that had just rang a few moments previously.
“Thanks,” I said taking the receiver, “Hello?”
“Ness, hi it’s me,” my mother’s voice came through the phone.
“Hi mom. What’s going on?”
“Well Grandma Esme has finally finished moving everything into the house. And your father is on his best behavior. We thought we’d come down and get you.”
“What about Jake?” I spoke the first thought that had come to my mind.
“He can come back up to Alaska too, for the time being; just until we work something out.”
“Ok that sounds fine,” I replied twirling the phone cord around my fingers.
After a moment’s pause my mother asked, “So, what have you and Jacob been up to?”
I hated the fact of lying to my mother, so I decided it best to slant the truth as little as possible, but still keeping with the story plan me and Jake had. “Oh you know, we’ve just been hanging out by the beach, we had dinner with Grandpa Charlie.”
“Oh sounds like you’ve been having fun. Well I’ll be down to get you with Grandma Esme and Grandpa Carlisle later this afternoon. Your father went on a hunting trip with Uncle Jasper and Uncle Emmett, and Aunt Alice and Aunt Rose are out shopping.”
“Ok,” I said cheerfully, “I can’t wait to see you. I’ve missed you.”
“I’ve missed you too, honey. I’ll talk to you later.”
“Jake come here,” I said pulling him outside after I’d hung the phone up, “My mom and grandparents are coming to get us today. My dad won’t be in the car so we don’t even have to worry about our thoughts in the car.”
“That’s awesome,” he said taking my hand, “But I’m still worried about being at the house. It’s going to be hard not to think of things…” he worried.
“I know,” I agreed, “But I just don’t see any other options.”
“Same here,” he said. “What time are they coming?”
“Well, my mom didn’t specify, but late this afternoon.”
“Oh, so then we still have time to do what ever you want,” he said cheerfully.
“What do you want to do?” I asked.
“Anything you want to do,” he answered smiling.
“Let’s go to the beach,” I suggested, “We’ll probably miss it in Alaska.” We headed down to the beach hand in hand and walked down to our piece of driftwood. We sat there for a while, just watching the waves. A few times I saw a fish jump. Absentmindedly, I fingered the necklace he’d given me, sliding the “J” and the “R” on the chain. A cool breeze caught and blew towards us from the ocean, making me shiver. Noticing, he pulled me onto his lap and wrapped his arms around me in attempt to warm me up.

“Thanks,” I said barely understandable, with my teeth chattering. He rested his chin on the top of my head.

“This is going to be hard to do with your father around,” he complained. “You know what I think?”

“What do you think?” I was already warming up from the heat of his skin.

“We should just get our own house. In LA or Jacksonville. Where your father can’t come bug us and we can do and think whatever we want.”

“Yeah that would be nice, but you can’t leave Billy or the pack. And as annoying as he is I can’t leave my father. Or my mom or the rest of my family.”

“I know,” he sighed squeezing me tighter.

I sighed along with him, picturing the life he described and how wonderful it would be.

“You know,” he began, interrupting my thoughts, “once you’re eighteen, your parents have no control over you,” he said with a grin across his face.

“I could probably pass as eighteen right now.”

“More like fourteen,” he laughed, “What are you, three feet tall?”

“Shut up I’m 5’2! I’m tall,” I laughed too, squirming in his grip.

“That’s alright, I like them short,” he said laughing again. I rolled my eyes, not that he noticed.

I was all warmed up now. I stood up and turned to face Jake. Behind him I noticed a cliff, curious, I asked him; “Jake, is that the cliff my mother jumped off?”

He turned around to see what exactly I was talking about. I saw him shudder a bit when he saw the cliff. He hesitated for a moment before answering, “Yes, that one right there,” he said pointing to the taller one.

“And you saved her?” I asked, knowing the answer.

“I guess you could say that,” a proud smile crossing his face. “I’m glad I did or you wouldn’t be here,” he touched my nose.

“I’m glad you did too,” I laughed wrapping my arms around his neck. “Hey,” I said suddenly, straightening up to place my hands on his shoulders, “Do you think you and me could ever try it?”

His eyes flashed and fear crossed his face, “No, I don’t think that would be a smart idea for more then one reason. One, your father would definitely send me to my grave bed, two; I wouldn’t want what happened to your mother to happen to you, and three; I don’t want to risk anything happening to you.”

“Nothing’s going to happen to me,” I promised, “Please”

“No,” he smirked, but it didn’t reach his eyes. I could tell it was important to him that we didn’t, so I let the subject drop.

“Fine,” I replied hugging him again.

“You’re in a good mood today,” he noted.

“I’m not going to be able to do this very often with my father around,” I explained squeezing him tighter. He twined his arms around me and he squeezed me back.

“I know,” he whispered into my ear.

I turned around in his arms to face him. I looked up at his beautiful face and smiled at him. He returned the smile back with a grin of his own. I buried my head into his masculine chest. He pulled me closer to him so our bodies were aligned. It was like a mold, like to puzzle pieces fitting together.

He squeezed me tighter to him as rain began to fall from the gray, cloudy sky. “Let’s get you back to the house, so you’re dry when your mother gets here,” he said hovering over me in attempting to protect me from the rain. I didn’t respond. He lifted me up into his strong, hard arms and ran with me in his arms back to the house.

When we got back to the house, he sat on the couch, holding me in his lap. We sat like that for a long time, just staring into each others’ eyes. After a few hours, his nose wrinkled. He squeezed me and kissed the top of my head before shifting me so I was sitting next to him and flicking the television on.

He got up before the doorbell rang to answer the door. I was glad the treaty had recently been adjusted so my family could enter La Push.

“Hey Bella! Carlisle, Esme,” Jake friendly greeted my family as he pulled the door open. “How was your drive down?” He was being very polite and I assumed he was trying to impress them.

“Fine, thanks,” my mother said. I got up and ran over to hug her. “I missed you,” she said as she released me, “Did you have fun?”

“Of course,” I said, looking over at Jake and smiling.

“Well then good,” Carlisle said, who I noticed was holding hands with Esme.

“Yup,” I said cheerfully.

“Well, If we want to make it home before dark, we best be getting a move on,” my mother said, trying to make some sort of joke out of it.

On our way walking out to the car, Jake grabbed my things and placed them in the trunk, meanwhile my family went in to say hello to Billy.

Once we had all piled into the car, Carlisle driving, Esme sitting in the front seat next to him, and my mother, Jake, and me in the backseat. I got the middle, since I was the smallest.
We sped through Forks and were quickly on the highway. Every once in a while someone would attempt to make conversation but it soon fell quiet again. As it got dark, Jake subtly took my hand and held it until we were home in Alaska.
Jake took my bag and carried it in for me, as I led the way up to the third floor where my bedroom was. He lay across my bed as I began to unpack it. Someone cleared their throat. I looked up to see my father standing in the doorway. I immediately controlled my thoughts, and he raised an eyebrow.
“If you don’t mind Jacob, I’d like to speak with Renesmee in private,” he said calmly.
“Of course, sir,” Jake hurried out of the room with his head down, and my father raised his eyebrow again.
“How was your week?” my father asked entering my room.
“Fine,” I replied concentrating on unpacking.
“What did you do there?” he asked trying to pick at my thoughts.
I focused hard on the shirt I was holding in my hand, “Nothing really, we just hung out on the beach and stuff.”
“I’m surprised you’re here in one piece. Maybe Jacob is a little more responsible then I give him credit for.” I couldn’t help it, my mind flashed back to Jake. “No wonder your father thinks I’m so irresponsible,” he had mumbled.
“What made him say that?” my father hissed.
“Nothing,” I answered too quickly. The motorcycle crash flashed accidently across my mind.
“You got hurt,” my father snarled, “Didn’t you?”
“No,” I lied, my thoughts betraying me.
“What happened?” he demanded.
“Nothing, I just fell,” I responded trying to talk my way out of it, knowing it wouldn’t work, “I hit a rock. It could happen to anyone.”
“And were you wearing a helmet?” I didn’t answer. “You weren’t wearing a helmet?! Is he insane?! I’m going to kill him. Are you all right? Tell me everything that happened,” he was over to me in one stride and placed his hands on my shoulders.
My mind choked under the pressure, thoughts poured out of my mind of the crash, revealing the accident. His face hardened as the memory continued. He slid his icy hands through my hair, feeling my head for bumps. Then the memory got to the part where it went black.
“You fainted?” he dropped his hands and turned to leave the room.
“Wait!” I ran over to him and stood on my tip toes to press my hand to his face. I showed him Jake carrying me back to the house, and icing my head. “It’s not his fault,” I said defending him.
He paused for a moment, taking an unnecessary breath. Before leaving the room, he looked down at my face and instructed me to stay here. He stormed out of my bedroom, down the hall, only to find Carlisle. I could over hear there conversation, but instead of listening I blocked it out, worried about what my father was about to do. He was back in seconds later followed by Carlisle.
“She seemed fine in the car Edward,” he was saying. “Hey Ness, can you sit on the bed?” I rolled my eyes and sat on the bed, thinking only of how unnecessary the whole thing was. My grandfather ran his hands through my hair as my father did, and shined a light in my eyes. “She’s fine,” he assured my father, “The ice helped. Just get some sleep Renesmee you’ll be fine. It doesn’t hurt anymore at all does it?”
“No,” I answered mostly truthfully.
“Alright then, see, she will be fine,” grandpa reassured my father who stalked out of the room, headed towards the guest room. Carlisle left after a moment; looking at me to be sure I wasn’t lying to him about the pain.

Edward

I rushed into the guest bedroom to find Jacob. He was just finishing up emptying his things as I entered the room. Surprised by my mood, he guarded his thoughts. What else was he keeping from me?
“So,” I said icily, “Renesmee got hurt.”
“I know,” he said shamefully, “And I’m sorry. But I handled it and it won’t happen again.” His thoughts were only concentrated on me.
“You weren’t even going to bother telling myself or her mother were you? You seem to care more about your own safety and well-being than my daughter’s.”
“She was fine, I made sure of it. We didn’t want to get you worked up.”
“You didn’t,” I began, “want me to get worked up?” I barked, furious with him.
“Yes,” he said sternly, his arms folded across his chest.
I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose. Words could not express my anger towards Jacob. The emotion was so strong, I couldn’t bear be in the same room as him, so I left; briskly walking into the hallway for a moments peace. I needed to think. What was going on between Renesmee and Jacob? Certainly something, I answered myself, determined to find out.
To calm myself I went to find my love; Bella.
When I found Bella, she was in our bedroom looking distressed.
“What’s wrong love?” I asked her while attempting to sooth what ever was worrying her.
“It’s just Renesmee,” she spoke slowly.
“I know she’s been on my mind a lot lately too,” I agreed.
“It just feels like were losing her,” she spoke softly.
I pulled her to me only to embrace her love and beauty. The sent of her skin was marvelous, though it no longer made me crave for thirst, but instead love. “I know love.” We sat there for awhile, continuing to talk about Renesmee, until we were interrupted.

Renesmee

I continued to sit in my newly furnished bedroom while I silently listened to my father blame Jacob for my injury; listening to my father press questions while shouting at my beloved Jake cause tears to wash down my cheeks.
To release the anger within me towards my father, I griped the post at the end of my bed, leaving a mold of my tight grip.
Once I could no longer hear them bicker, I left my room. I strolled through the house hold to find the guest bedroom where Jake was staying.
I found him sitting at the end of the bed starring at his hands on his lap. “Jake, don’t listen to him,” I said thinking of my father, “you know what happened wasn’t your fault.”
“I know,” he spoke softly looking up from his hands. I went over to sit next to him on the bed. He slowly placed his hand over mine and gently squeezed them together as small reminder.
“Thanks,” I mumbled quietly. His warm, masculine hand moved from my hand to my back, giving me a comforting back rub. His fingers slowly traced up and down my spine.