A New Beginning (part 3) | Teen Ink

A New Beginning (part 3)

By Runner242 GOLD, Rochester, New York
Runner242 GOLD, Rochester, New York

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Dumbledore

Renesmee

I wondered who was at the door this late but didn’t really care. I pulled my blankets farther over my head in my new bed, in an unfamiliar room. I heard a commotion downstairs before my mother called my name. I ignored her rolling over to face the wall.
There was a knock on the door after a few minutes. “Go away,” I snapped.
“Ness you need to come downstairs,” Esme smiled as she opened the door, “Trust me.”
I didn’t trust her as I forced myself out of bed and followed her down the spiral stairs. I almost had a stroke when I saw him in the foyer. I ran over to his side and squeezed him in a hug. “Jake,” I squealed, “You came!” Excitement filled through me.
“Of course I did,” he replied with a smile on his face. He looked so happy to see me. I hugged him tighter before unwillingly glancing at my father’s face. He left the house followed by my mother.
“Come with me,” I pulled Jake up to my new room and flicked the light on. I pulled him over to the bed and sat him down next to me. “I missed you!” I jumped onto his lap and hugged him again, “I just still can’t believe you’re here!”
“I was going to wait a week but it wasn’t going to happen,” he laughed. He began to rub my back. It felt nice, I didn’t want him to move it, but after a moment he turned me around to face him in his lap. He embraced me into a tight hug, stroking my hair. I buried my face in his chest, tears of joy rolling out of my eyes.
“Please stay,” I whispered.
“Of course,” he promised, though I knew he couldn’t. He hesitated. “I guess you’ll want to know why I came so soon.” He mumbled.
“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to,” I assured him, though I really wanted to know.
“Well,” he paused again, “I. I don’t know, it’s kind of awkward. I’m not really the sentimental type.”
“It’s ok,” I pressed.
“Its just that I missed you, like really missed you. It felt as if you took half of me away with you. I couldn’t stand being away from you. I need to be with you.” He blushed and looked away.
I took his face in my hands, “I feel the same way,” I said making him look at me.
“Really,” he said with a smirk on his loving face.
“Yes, really,” I replied.
“Good then I’m not going anywhere,” he promised, “Tonight. We have to figure out how we’re going to handle everything.”
“Yes,” I said. “I can’t allow for you to travel all this way day after day just to see me, so we’ll have to make some sort of arrangement to work this out. Maybe I could live in Forks with you?” I asked unsure of how he would respond.
His eyes lit up, “I’d love that. Except your parents wouldn’t. Maybe I could stay here, but go back to La Push on the weekends. I don’t know; let’s not worry about it until we have to. I talked to your mother, we’re clear until morning.”
Till morning, we had limited time. “You look exhausted,” he said touching the circles under my eyes. He shifted us so we were lying on the bed, him curled around me, no need for blankets with his heat. I took his hand and played with his fingers, not wanting to sleep.
“Don’t talk about me, look at yourself, you look exhausted too. Did you run all the way up here?” I asked worried about his health.
“It’s not a big deal, Ness,” he said confidently.
“You shouldn’t have done that,” I said, though secretly I was glad he did.
“Well, we can’t change the past, so what’s done is done,” he paused. “Now what are we going to say to your parents. They don’t know why I’m here.”
“They also don’t know our feelings,” I interrupted, “And my father doesn’t really help with anything.”
“Well let’s just say that we’re best friends, we missed each other,” he said slowly, “And keep our thoughts careful around your father,” he scowled.

“Great, that will be a challenge with you sitting here,” I said looking over at him. His eyes lit up. “That’s not what I meant,” my eyes narrowed.

He laughed but then stopped suddenly, his nose wrinkling, “You’re father’s on his way back. Don’t think about anything you wouldn’t want him to hear, starting now.” He shifted me off his lap and onto the bed next to him.

“Ugh, he’s such a pain.” I said hoping he would over hear. I groaned as there was a knock on the door. His speed was another thing that got annoying. I was also getting sick of all the door-knocking lately.

“Hello,” my father said opening the door. Could he not wait for me to open it? “What are you guys up to?” He asked ignoring my thoughts.

“Nothing,” I said concentrating very hard on only the present, and his eyes narrowed.

“Jacob can stay for the night,” he continued slowly, “In the guest bedroom, on the second floor. Next to my room.” Could he be any more obvious? “Yes I could. Come on Jacob let’s go.”

Jake got up and followed him. “Night, Ness,” he mumbled as my father closed the door behind him.

I sat on my bed contemplating on what I could do to make my father pay for his unnecessary immature behavior. Eventually I fell asleep after being in a state of deep thought.

The next morning I arose bright and early, excited to see my Jacob. I kept my thoughts careful as I ran down two flights of stairs to the main floor. Breakfast was already waiting on the counter, Jacob sitting at the table eating waffles. I ate my breakfast quickly, concentrating only on chewing, before pulling him out of the house, muttering an excuse about going on a walk.

We walked down the road far enough so that my father couldn’t hear our thoughts. I pulled his arm and edged him to the side of the road. I turned him to be directly facing me so we could talk.

“Not thinking around your father is harder than I thought,” he said after a few minutes, “And I couldn’t even think about how difficult it was either. I’m really beginning to hate him.”

“You already did,” I laughed.

“I know,” he chuckled.

“This isn’t going to work. It’s too difficult.”

“I know,” he sighed grabbing my hands, “We’re going to have to figure something out; away from your dad. I really, really don’t want to have to resort to killing him.”

I laughed. “Let’s go to La Push. Please. Can’t we just ask?” I pleaded, “We could come back up here and visit once in a while. Please can’t we just try to talk about it with my parents?”

He hesitated, staring into my eyes for a moment. “Sure, why not?” he asked as a smile broke across his face, “Let’s go.”

We arrived back at the house and located my parents. Trying hard not to think about what we were about to do, we walked up to my father.

“Hello,” he said calmly.

“Hi,” I said shyly, in ultimate control of my thoughts, “We want to talk to you,” I gestured to Jake. My father inclined his head. My mother walked up gracefully behind him taking his arm. “So,” I said conversationally, “Well we were wondering…” I couldn’t help it, the thought broke out. If I could live in La Push with Jake.

“Absolutely not,” he stated with a serious face, his eyes flashing to Jake.

“But why not,” I whined.

“First of all Jacob here, isn’t as nearly responsible enough to take of you,” he began.

“I took care of Bella.” Jacob interrupted. I looked over at my mother, who folded her arms across her chest.

“What?” I asked. “What is he talking about?”

“She jumped off a cliff,” my father hissed ignoring me, looking straight at Jake.

“Wait, what? Is that when Grandpa Carlisle turned her into a vampire?” I asked.

“It was for recreational purposes only,” Jake snarled, also ignoring me, “And you seemed to have conveniently forgotten I was the one who saved her.”

“You shouldn’t of let her jump off in the first place!” he sneered.

“I was looking out for your vampire friend with the red hair at the time!” Jake barked back, “And maybe if you didn’t leave her she wouldn’t have been so depressed to begin with!” He paused for a moment before continuing again, “Is that what you want to happen to your daughter, Renesmee? Do you want her to always be depressed and holding herself together? Do you,” he pressed. My father was quiet. The pained expression crossed his face again.

“You left mom?!” I said shocked. “Is this what you’ve been keeping from me? What else have you been not telling me?”

“Yes,” Jake answered, still not looking away from my father, “And I would never do that to Nessie,” he continued toward my father, “I’m not going to put her through that.”

“Go back to La Push,” my mother interrupted quietly, “Just temporarily. Give us some time to…calm things down around here,” she glanced at my father, “We’ll come get you in a week or so, once we figure things out.”

I looked over at my parents, unsure of what to say. Why would they keep such a thing away from me all these years? I pulled Jake away, not wanting to cause anymore fighting between him and my father. I didn’t like it. He followed as I steered him towards my room silently.

I quietly packed a suitcase of clothes, and the rest of my things into a duffle bag. Jake grabbed it before grabbing my hand and pulling me downstairs. All my family members were in the foyer besides my father. I hugged everyone goodbye before we headed out to the woods.
I waited behind a tree while Jake phased. He crouched down so I could climb onto his back, the duffle bag slung around my shoulder. We were both silent as he ran though the woods.
Finally we ended up back in Forks. He stopped at the edge of the woods near his house in La Push. I waited again while he phased. He came out from behind a tree after a few moments and grabbed my bag.
“Ok I need to eat or I’m going to pass out,” he smiled leading me towards the house. I followed quietly, still thinking about my parents.
“Why didn’t you tell me before?” I asked as I stopped walking, “About my parents? Or why didn’t they tell me?”
“It’s a sore subject,” he said serious for a moment, “It happened a while before you were born. Your father left Bella after her 18th birthday. Alice had thrown her a small party and there was an incident with Jasper. Your father, believe it or not, over reacted and fled the country, thinking it was best for her. Your mother went into a major depression and came to me. We became best friends, not as close as you and me, of course,” he smiled, “and she found those motorcycles we rode on the other day. We fixed them up and I taught Bella how to ride them. But she wasn’t nearly as good as you. She wanted to do all kinds of reckless things, I don’t really know why.
But one day, I had told Bella that we would go cliff diving, one of her reckless ideas she got from my old friend Sam. But a vampire was getting close to town so the pack and I had to go take care of it. I left your mother on the beach, but when I heard a scream, I came running back. I found her jumping into the water off the cliff. I jumped in after her to save her, the current to strong for her weak human body to pull its self out of the water,” he paused looking over at me.
“That’s when Alice showed up at her house with Edward, after a vision she had of Bella jumping off the cliff. Edward explained he only left for her safety and your parents ended up together again and lived happily ever after,” he smiled at me. The ending seemed too vague compared to the rest of the story, but I ignored it for now, still thinking about the rest.

“I wonder why they never told me,” I said thoughtfully.
Jake shrugged, “Your dad still feels pretty bad about it, I guess. I mean, your mom was kind of a wreck when he was gone.” We were quiet for a few minutes, “but enough of this past stuff, I’m starving.” He started to walk again, leading the way to his small red house.
Billy greeted us inside and Jake explained that we would be staying for the week. Billy didn’t seem to mind, and suggested that we invite my grandpa over for dinner.
I called Grandpa Charlie and invited him over for dinner like Billy had said. Grandpa arrived at the house ten minutes later. I cooked steak for everyone along with mashed potatoes. I had to cook the meal double the size so Jake would have enough.
“This is great, Ness,” Grandpa Charlie stated as he swallowed another bite, “Your mother must have taught you to cook.” I smiled and nodded, glancing over at Jake. He was consuming his food at an alarming rate, deep in concentration. “So Ness, how’s it going over in the Cullen house? Bella had said there was an emergency and you guys needed to leave town for a bit,” he said.
“Yeah, it’s just a little chaotic with all the moving business and everything. It’s just easier if we have as little people in the house as possible at the time,” I falsely informed him.
“Oh,” was all he said.
“Yup,” Jake interrupted. “So for the time being, Nessie’s staying here with us for the week,” he said cheerfully with a smile on his face.
“You could always stay with me, Ness,” Grandpa Charlie offered to my dismay, “You could stay in your mother’s room. The only problem is I wouldn’t be home too often. Maybe you’d be better off here with Jake. I’ll just stop by to visit.”

“That’s ok Grandpa I don’t mind staying with Jake,” I smiled, glad I didn’t have to come up with an excuse for not staying with him. It was also nice not to have to hide my thoughts. I was for once free to think whatever I wanted.
After we finished dinner, Billy and Grandpa Charlie watched some sports game I assumed they were excited to see. Jake and I walked down to the beach again to sit on our piece of driftwood.
“We have a whole week!” he said excitedly. I was excited too, but I missed the days where our time together was unlimited.
“And no dad to be reading our thoughts,” I commented, relieved for a break from the constant concentration.
“Yup,” he said happily taking my hand. “Your dad can be the biggest pain of a leech I’ve ever met. No offense.”
“That’s true,” I agreed with him.
“So,” he started but then paused. “What do you want to do?”
“Let’s ride those motorcycles again,” I suggested.

He laughed, “Let’s go then, daredevil.” He stood up pulling me along with him back up the beach.

We walked back to his small shed where he stored the bikes. We each walked a bike out of the shed. Jake helped me on to mine and helped get it started. After he’d gotten on his we drove off to the familiar road where I’d first learned to ride. We drove up and down the road a few times, just enjoying the wind in our faces as the wind whipped our hair back.

sorry for it ending in such a randome place, but it was the only way i could get it to fit.