Hunger Pains This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Long ago, a huge wolf roamed the land in search of wisdom, beauty, and love. Every creature in every forest knew of this magnificent wolf, and they were not afraid of him for he promised not to harm any living animal. He ate only berries and fruits; he was determined not to hurt anyone.

One day, as the wolf strode through the woods, he heard a faint melody. The sweet tune intrigued him, so he began to follow it to its wonderful source. After some searching, he spotted a young woman in a red cloak walking along humming a cheerful tune. He had never seen such a beautiful human girl in all his life, and ­decided to ­approach her carefully, and not frighten her with his ferocious ­appearance.

“Excuse me, fair maiden, but what song is that which you hum?” he asked quietly.

The young girl, turning, didn't seem to be at all fazed by the wolf; in fact, she acted as though it was a normal, everyday occurrence to run into a creature like him.

“Well, sir, I just made it up. It's not really a song of any importance.” Her voice was soft, yet stern.

“I think it's a rather beautiful song, therefore to me, it is of great importance.” The wolf noticed a small basket filled with food in the girl's hand and asked her where she was going.

“I found a vacant home back here in the woods, and I was thinking about having a picnic there. Then, maybe later, I could clean it up and make it my own!” Her excitement over the picnic and cleaning the house pleased the wolf; it wasn't every day he saw a young human following their dreams.

“That all sounds very well. I'll leave you to your travels, young miss.” The wolf lowered his head as if to bow and started to walk away.

“Sir!” cried the girl. “Would you like a piece of bread before you go?” The wolf accepted her offer and took a small piece.

As soon as he finished it, he felt something strange inside of his body, like all of his insides were burning with hunger – hunger for meat, of both man and animal. As the wolf fell over, he heard a woman's laughter. When he gazed over at the little girl in red, she was no longer beautiful. She had aged; her eyes were full of hate, and her hair appeared brittle and thin.

“You fool!” She grinned and began to back away from him. “I've been crossing the land in search of you! It's not right that a beast such as yourself doesn't eat proper meat.” The wolf looked at her, bewildered. “Never again shall you eat a single berry! Instead, you shall eat meat of human and animal alike, and suffer from eternal hunger!”

The wolf went to pounce on her but, within a blink of an eye, the woman was gone. Furious, saddened, and alone, the wolf started to walk as hunger began to ache in his bones.

For thousands of years, the wolf ate the meat of the people within the villages and kingdoms he destroyed in pursuit of settling his hunger. Everywhere he went, he kept an eye out for the woman who had cursed him; however, she was never to be found. The idea of revenge lingered in the wolf's mind and transformed him into a bitter animal.

Then one day, as he walked in the forest he always traveled, he caught sight of a young girl in a red hood. Convinced this was the woman he had been searching for, he went directly to her, trying to gain control over his anger.

“Young one, where are you off to?” His voice was deep and raspy.

The girl shrilled at the sight of him and spoke with a quivering voice. “To my grandmother's. Her house is at the end of this trail and I need to bring her some food.”

The wolf could tell this wasn't the girl he had been searching for, but he thought of her grandmother, and knew she must be the one. “Thank you, young miss.” He spoke as he darted away, following the thin trail.

It was a short distance to the house, and as the wolf approached, he heard the humming of a song he hadn't heard in thousands of years. He froze; anger raged inside of him, and his surging hunger swelled to a degree he had never felt. Blinded by revenge, he broke through the door as the old woman screamed. The wolf knocked over dishes and tables, and then pounced on the elderly woman, ­devouring her whole.

It wasn't long after the wolf finished eating her that the young girl in the red hood entered the house. Terrified, she dropped her basket and ran screaming into the woods as the wolf chased her. The girl tumbled through the bushes as the wolf came closer and closer.

He was finally upon her. Suddenly, from a hidden place between the trees, an axe broke through and cut into the wolf's side, gashing it open as he fell to the ground. A woodsman had been in the forest when he heard the young girl's cry, and ran to protect her from the foul, wretched wolf.

The man took his axe and sliced open the wolf's belly. He filled it full of stones and rocks and sewed them up, and carried the wolf out to a deep river and dropped him into the water.

The wolf did not die. He survived, and sat at the bottom of the river, ­unable to move, with his hunger pains aching ever more.

Obi-Wan said...
today at 9:37 pm:
That was awesome, great detail.  I love how you took little red riding hood to a whole different level

AbbeythecupcakeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 13 at 11:16 am:
wow! this is really good. i love how you used a backstory to make us feel sorry for the wolf!

flutterbye1888This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
You did very well mixing the original fairytale with a backstory that made you pity the wolf. Maybe nothing is what it seems when you see it. :)

DemoDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:37 am:
I love old fairytales and I also love gruesome stories... And putting those two together is a great idea, but it depends on the story. Little Red Riding Hood turned into that was amaising. I loved it best of all...

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:42 am:
I love that the way you tell the tale makes us feel sorry for the wolf. Great work! I particularly love the beginning with the old woman cursing the wolf!

DelmaraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:53 pm:
My mouth dropped open at the end! I was totally not expecting the rocks...shiver. Awesome.

SpottyLepardThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:52 pm:
This is great! I love the different viewpoint you give to the classic tale, and the tone you used sounds makes it sound like a classic dairy tale. Nice work!

KingRejectThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 9, 2013 at 2:20 pm :
moo...dairy tale.

JRayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm:
SUCH a good story!!! It's so tragic, but the way you told it was exactly how a fairytale might be told - the same kind of voice, you know? Anyway, really incredible job, and congratz on making the magazine! :)

Hannah C. said...
Jun. 6, 2013 at 11:30 pm:
I loved your interpretation of the red riding hood story it was amazing!

KinnersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 6, 2013 at 8:49 pm:
This story is such a beautiful tragedy. I've always been on the side of the 'bad guys,' and you don't know how many characters I've obsessed over who could've been good souls if they weren't twisted by the careless mistakes of others. This really hits home for me.

hyper_death_the_kid said...
THIS STORY IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Athena22 said...
Wow, just wow. This was absolutely the best twist of Little Red Riding Hood I've ever heard! Like most other comments I really like the idea of the wolf being almost a pacifist, then being cursed by the witch. Honest to goodness this is pure genius that deserved publishing!

hollyax1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:12 pm:
omgee, this story is amazing. I love how the wolf is the good guy. Brilliant!!!

PuppyLove16 said...
Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm:
OH MY GOODNESS!!! That was amazing! I loved how the wolf was the good guy and red riding hood was bad...and your ending was just beautifully evil. Great job... I want more!!!

ZozeyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm:
By gods, I love this story! I love how the wolf is the good guy, but riding hood isn't evil, well not the one we know who is going to her grandmother's house. I love it!

BellaCharlie said...
This is so beautiful. I love the very ending and the twisting of Little Red Riding Hood. Good job!

ShadowFangirl101 said...
Wow this is amazing!! It's interesting to see the story from the wolf's perspective and learn how he came to be there. Great job!

RandiRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
VERY GOOD!!!! Check out my stories!!!

RandiRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:29 pm :
I have a version of Snow White called " Skylar West and the Seven Runaways."