28 Months Later | Teen Ink

28 Months Later

December 24, 2009
By WriterA.M. PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
WriterA.M. PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
40 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ignore corruption and achieve perfection"- me


Snarls and screams echoed throughout the neighborhood. Me and my family were gathered in the livingroom keeping as quiet as the grave. There was no reason to attract the attention of the infected. We had just gotten through barricading the doors and windows the best we could. I shivered whenever a scream pierced the afternoon. A sunny day had become bloody when the new guy entered town running through the streets like a mad man.
Little did people know he was infected with the same virus that had decimated many European countries overseas. Suddenly a bloodcurdling shriek neared my house and then the sound of running footsteps pounded out the house walls. My four year old brother hugged his mother and sniffled as quietly as he could. I found myself wishing my dad owned a gun.
I held my breath as the infected humans footsteps faded. But then a new fear entered my mind. The zombie was in my backyard! "It's in the backyard," I whispered to my family. My parents and fifteen year old sister nodded. My little brother only weeped, his tears looked black in the dim unlit house.
A cars motor raored down the street and my hears heard the sickening thud of flesh as the driver drove through the sea of both zombies and normal humans out in the street. My heart was pounding so fiercely in my chest I was sure the zombies would hear it. "Shh, shh, Frankie don't listen to it. Mommy won't let anything happen to my children," my mom said in an effort to try and sooth my little brother.
Suddenly there was apounding on the front door. My sister covered her mouth and screamed into it. "Open up let me in! Please!" a man's voice said from outside.
"He's not infected!" my dad said already running toward the door. I followed close behind carrying a baseball bat. The man continued to pound at the door.
"Sir stop the noise! You'll attract them!" I said as I helped dad remove the large cabinet that was propped agianst the door aside. There was a snarl and then the man outside was slammed against the door with such force that the doors lock almost gave way.
The man outside screamed as the zombie savagely attacked him. I opened the mailslot to see if there was any chance that we could help the man. I quickly slammed it shut when the zombies blood red eyes peeked up at me from the lifeless body of a black man. More zombies were running up the lawn toward my house.
"It saw me, hurry dad put the cabnet against the door again!" I said. We gripped the large cabinet and started pushing it against the door. My shaking fingers almost couldn't get a hold of the cabinet.
Almost immdediately the house was filled with the sounds of snarling and hissing of the infected slamming their fists and bodies against the house walls, doors, and windows. My sister screamed verytime a window shattered.
I heard glass clink sprinkle on the floor. "What do we do now!?" I said grabbing a hold of my dad.
"We make a break for it. Everybody we need to make a break for the car!" he said motioning for everyone in the livingroom to get up. They did my brother still clinging to his mother like a marsupial.
I flinched when one of our barricades gave way and zombies poured into the house. Tyhe pounding on the front of the house stopped as the zombies seemed to realize that there was a way in now. Multiple poundings sounded in my parents room door to the hall.
"Run! Run!" I said making a break for the front door. My dad and sister helped me cast aside the cabinet which fell against the wall. I threw open the door and the zombies that were pounding at my parenst door busted it open. There crazed cries were the last I heard of them before my mom closed the front door on them.
A pack of zombies was surrounding a house on the other side of the street. They didn't notice our vulnerablity. We ran to my dads car and piled in. My dad shoved the keys in the ignition and the engived roared to life.
As if that had been the dinner bell dozens of zombies from all over the neighborhood charged toward us. Their combined screams of unquenchable blood lust was deafeaning. My dad pulled back out of the driveway and switched the car into another gear and slammed down on the gas.
The zombies behind and around us continued to run after us like rabid dogs after the mailman. At every new interse tion that we passed we drew more and more zombies to car. All the way out of town my little brother continued to sob.
I worried about all my friends who might still be trapped in town or worse. When we neared the out sckirts of town my dad had to break and weave around a whale sized eighteen wheeler that was turned over on its side in the middle of the road.
My sister screamed when we she saw what waited for us on the otherside. A military quarantine had been set up around the town! The solkdiers raised their weapons.
"Lower your weapons privates! They're not infected!" barked their captain. They obeyed, but their unease reamined. They let us pass but we had to let them escort us to wherever it was they were taking us. I secretly feared we'd be turned into human guinea oigs.


The author's comments:
This is a little fan piece I made revolving around the zombie films 28 Days and 28 Weeks Later. In my piece the RAGE virus has spread to America. (The virus that turned people into raging running mainiacs, so I guess that means they technically aren't zombies. Rather they are infected humans)