Valar Morghulis | Teen Ink

Valar Morghulis

September 20, 2018
By loganneese BRONZE, Auburn, New York
loganneese BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The harsh wind bit her face, turning her cheeks bright red.  Her hair, a pale silver in which she was most recognized for, danced furiously in the wind.  Her violet eyes pierced the landscape, and her brow furrowed with determination. She flew, hundreds of feet above the land her family once ruled for thousands of years.  The mountains cascaded for hundreds of miles, interrupted by cities, filled with the harsh stench of peasant life. Noblemen lurked the alleys among the poor and livestock, peddling support for the new Queen, Cersei Lannister.  The sight of the noblemen among these people, her people, submerged her heart in vile hatred.   As the last living Targaryen, she knew this was her land, and she yearned for her rightful throne.  Her father was the last person in her family who had sat there. He was an arrogant and cruel man, known for burning his subjects alive in the name of his own entertainment, and he got what he deserved, she knew this.  But she is not him. She feared him, as did the millions whom he presided over. He was murdered and slain, as was her entire bloodline. She and her dragons were the last relic of the Targaryen family, and the hunger to once again rule the Iron Throne burned a hole in her heart so bright, she was willing to risk everything to reclaim it.  She is Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons, and she will take back what is hers, one way or another.  

Daenerys Targaryen is by far one of the most unforgettable characters on Game of Thrones, as she overcomes those who challenge her power, those who want her dead, as well as men who underestimate her ability to build and command an army.  She appears as an iconic feminist heroine, uttering the famous lines, “Valar Morghulis? Yes, all men must die, but we are not men.”  

She landed, heavily and proud, and dismounted her dragon.  Dragons had been extinct for thousands of years, until she had once again born three of them from an egg.  Her ancestors bred and used them to help conquer their territory, and to build the kingdom she yearns to rule.  Unable to ever bear her own child, these dragons were her children. These dragons were untameable by everyone, except for her, as she is the Mother of Dragons.  They were glorious, dark beasts who terrified even the most villianous of men. Their enormous wings spanned the width of a trade ship, and their eyes burned red as the fire in which spewed from their insides.  Drogon, named after her late husband, Khal (King) Drogo, Viserion, and Rhaegal, named for her late brothers Viserys and Rhaegar.

Her icy eyes peered across the field, the battlefield, ready to reclaim her birthright.  Her army, filled with the people who fight for her not because they were forced to by a crown, but because they wish to.  She began her power trial years ago, across the Great Grass Sea, which has never been even been crossed by half of her warriors, and here they are, standing across from the most powerful army in the world.  With her loyal advisors perched next to her, she conquered lands, gained support, and most of all; freed the slaves from their treacherous rulers whom she had conquered. She gave these people a new beginning,a fresh start, if you will, as she has given herself one as well.  Her army consists of the Dothraki, a savage people who had roamed the desert in the East for eons, the people of her late husband, Khal (King) Drogo. The Unsullied, an army in which is so elitely trained, that they destroy any impending army, concluded by a large sum of former slaves who fought  not only for their freedom, but for the life that their Khaleesi (Queen) has now given them. She felt unstoppable, and she was.

Across the field stood her opponents, led by the newly crowned Queen Cersei Lannister, wife of the late King Robert Baratheon, and her twin brother, Jaime Lannister.  Years ago, Jaime Lannister was the man who plunged a dagger through her fathers chest, and who sent the kill orders out on her entire house. Her siblings, her guards, her servants, and even her pets were slaughtered in order for Robert Baratheon to overtake the throne.  Everyone she ever knew and loved were murdered, and she would have been too without the help of a couple of her father’s loyal supporters. This was about more than the throne, this was about vengeance. They were surrounded by thousands of profligately armored knights and lords whom were there for gold and glory, and because their Queen ordered them to.  These were the bravest men in all of the Seven Kingdoms, yet the sight of Khaleesi’s army put a fear in their hearts so strong, it paralyzed their limbs and quivered their lips. There was a silence, a silence so sudden and necessary, that all the men felt an eerie peace. And then, their brief moment of zen was interrupted by a deafening shriek, which projected from the sky.  Down came the remaining two dragons, ferocious and majestic, and with them came a harmonious duet of fire. Within seconds, the field was ablaze and men were scrambling for their lives. The second shriek, a cry of battle coming from the Dothraki sounded across the field, and a stampede of men on their enormous horses charged at the Lannister army. Two minutes later, the Lannister army was defeated.  Those who lived were not willing to stay around long enough to face round two, leaving Queen Cersei completely exposed.

From the ashes, she rose.  Across the scorched Earth, she she strided to face those who assumed she could be beaten easily.  She left them alive, because she promised herself they’d live to watch her reclaim her throne. She is the last living Targaryen and the Mother of Dragons, but most of all; She is a woman.  And she is a force to be reckoned with. “Valar Morghulis? Yes, all men must die, but we are not men.”  


The author's comments:

As young girls, it's neccesary that we find a rolemodel or character in which we look up to.  For myself, although her story is completely fiction, Daenerys is one whom we all could learn a lot from.  She was thrown into the deep end as a young girl, and fought through every hardship she faced.  Not only this, but her morals are naturally good and he refuses to let anyone tell her what she can or can't do as a woman.