Flame | Teen Ink

Flame

September 19, 2018
By Starks GOLD, Hartford City, Indiana
Starks GOLD, Hartford City, Indiana
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Monsters don't hide under your bed they sleep in your head" Unknown


In this world I find little hope in others and little glee. I would much rather sleep the tangling and trapping thoughts that pop in my mind as if they were popcorn away and be embraced by sleep. I have been like this for a long time because of the suffering I have endured but one day my dark world was lit by a flame. This flame would not scorch my skin if I reached out to touch it or embrace it instead the flame embraced me back making my whole body feel warm. This flame would not choke me with swirling masses of smoke and ashes instead the flame’s smell of ash would fill my nose and clear my mind relaxing my body. This flame is not the instinctual red color that makes my mind lose all focus and rely on its instincts instead this flame is a bright green color. The green flame beckons me to come closer and I listen allowing the flames warmth to fill my body, allowing the flame’s ash smell to tickle its way up my nose and make my body relax. For the first time I allowed myself to feel something not allowing the darkness that howls and chews at me to swallow me whole like a serpent. For once I allowed myself to love and I allowed myself to be loved.


The author's comments:

I made this writing because I wanted to mess around with taking one object and giving big symbolism. In this writing I choose the flame as the symbol giving it a literal feel and a symbolic feel. I hope that people will find this writing to be a symbol of a reason to never swallow your emotions and to allow yourself to feel love from others.