A Way Out | Teen Ink

A Way Out

By m.hoey20 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
m.hoey20 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

The sun’s fully up now as its blazing rays hit my half open eyes. The bus shook back and forth as we drove down the dirt road. We were surrounded by trees, with such a beautiful scenery, it almost made me think I was free. I spot the prison that i’ll be living for the next 10-20 years; the thought of that by itself scared the living crap out of me. I hadn’t even thought of my wife back home, she’ll soon be raising my child all alone.

The bus slowed to a halt where we were introduced to a slender white man as he makes his way onto our bus. “Listen boys, single file line off the bus and follow Officer Pensilarto” as he points to a chubby copper which stood nervously, he must have been a newbie since he was so tense. As he lead us through the courtyard my eyes meet with an Italian mobster looking man with the largest schnoz. What I didn’t know back then is that man would be my apprentice in escaping this crap-hole, Leo.

After the brutal initiation of being stripped butt naked, being hosed down, and taking a mugshot, I became a happy member of the loving care center for criminals. I also forgot to tell you that I’m actually innocent, though according to the ops I’m just another one of these murdering scums. I’ll lay out what happened, I was walkin’ down this shady alley, you know like the ones in the movies. Right on the spot I was mugged by some greasy dude with a pocket knife. Yada yada yada all my dough was gone and the cops couldn’t help find this punk cause I couldn’t describe his face, so I went searchin’ for myself. It only took me about a day to see this idiot wearing the same getup in the same damn alley. Seriously this guy was dumb as a rock to be back there the next day, with the cops lookin’ for his cheeks. So I snuck up real nija like and beat the crap out of him. Though, it didn’t take long for the cops to show up and arrest me for assault… and tax fraud but we don’t talk about that.

Chapter 2

It’s my first day and first recess. I’ve only taken a few steps out when I see a fight break out between that Italian dude and some bulky soundin’ Russian dude said, “Dempsey been paying’ me good money to shut you up but lately the salary jumped. Now... I’m after your head! Hahaha!”

“Oh yeah tough guy I’d like to see your donkey kong lookin ass try!” said the Italian dood.

Before they duked it out the rest of the prisoners decided to throw me, the rookie, into the cage. Seeing the situation first hand lead me to believe I was on Schnoz’s side. As we beat on the russian dude and his goons off, we seemed to be victorious without them even landing a punch! Though that changed when the guards ran in to stop the fight but gave away at their own can of ass whoopin.

Later that day me and Schnoz-man where sent to our cells, and conveniently our cells were next to each other. “Hey look”, Leo said, “I didn’t need your help back there. And don’t think that we’re some kind of team or somthin’”

“Well that’s a way to say thanks. My names Vince by the way.” I snapped back.

“Hey Vince my names Leo!!! You got anything else to say yah smartass” yelled Leo.

“Nah GN cutie” I sassily whispered.

A groan comes from the other cell after I said that, I knew he’d hate that any man would. As I settled into my new roomy cage I couldn’t do anything but think of a way to escape. Though to my surprise the answer found its solution quick, it being Leo.

Chapter 3

As I walk into my first job I suspiciously see Leo trying to sneak a chisel from the woodwork. I let out a really loud cough that startles him to put it back. He gives me a nasty eye and goes back to “working”. As I make my way towards my station he stops me and whispers, “What's the matter with you man you tryna get a brother caught?”

“Naw I was just saven’ your ass from gettin’ caught Yurd.”

“What’d I say. I told you to leave me the hell alone.”

“But it looks like you could use some help gettin’ out of he…” He grabs me by my clothes and comes right up to my ear, “You lookin to get out kid, well lucky for you i’ve got an opening. Ima need your help getting this out of here.” as he points to the chisel, “All I need you to do is to go distract that guard over there as I walk out the door. Got it numbnuts?”

I nod, as I make my way to my work bench. Only a few minutes pass as we make out first attempt of stealing our ticket out of here.

Chapter 4

I’m just gonna cut this short because it gets really boring from here. After we steal the chisel we spend around three days cutting our way through the cement behind our toilets. After getting through we follow the pipelines to the lid of the sewer system and escaping through the crap shot. Damn it smells like crap down there and all Leo could do was complain. After we got out we took cover in some crappy hotels and around after a month of being on the run we split our different ways. I went home to my wife and soon coming baby and we moved to Canada under the name John. All I can hope for now is for my wife and daughter to live a life without having to feel the pressure of having a father on the run. I regret not asking for anyway to contact Leo. I’m gonna miss the bastard. My only regret is that I never got to thank him for helping me find a way out.