Top Voted Fiction

Here is the top voted fiction:

voted
#1
Opulence This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I’ve been watching him for days now. When he leaves his house to go to school, I’m the one carefully tailing him, switching cars every day to make myself look less suspicious. If he ever sneaks out of his second-story room, I’ll be the one... (more »)
Subsection: Action-Adventure Articles   855 comments
voted
#2
The Merchant’s Girl: A Lament This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Now ye beholdThe tale of oldThat made our elders cry.The story ofTwo faithful lovesThat made two heroes die.The merchant’s girlHad skin of pearlsAnd glowing sapphire eyes.She walked with grace;Unto her faceThe... (more »)
13 comments
voted
#3
The Stepdaughter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   It was a working woman's dinner: spaghetti from a blue boxand vegetables from a plastic baggie in the freezer. But I couldn't blame her,the way we showed up, Annie with her, "Surprise!" and Travis with his,"Patty,... (more »)
voted
#4
Silencing the Ivories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   As her aged hands masterfully performed myfavorite Chopin piece, I was in my prime. Hammers massaged my well-kept stringsand the sound was magical. Though it was hard to keep up with her nimble skill,none of the beauty was lost.... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#5
Her, Him, and the Receptionist This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Our daily jog together. At least I like to think of it as our jog. It’s not like we actually run together, but in close proximity in separate universes. It is hard to remember the days when we did not run together. My elliptical jogs right... (more »)
Subsection: Romance Articles   1732 comments
voted
#6
Doctor/Writer: Richard Selzer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Dr. Richard Selzer, 72, retired from practicing surgery and teaching at Yale Medical School in 1986. He has written ten books and received many writing grants and awards. He describes his experiences as a writer and doctor. How did... (more »)
Subsection: Author Interviews   2 comments
voted
#7
Spreading Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It is night in March, and the sun has set. February would probably be more appropriate for this, but when you get ideas on February twenty-fifth and they require as much effort to ­implement as this one does, well then, February isn’t really an... (more »)
80 comments
voted
#8
Whimper Bang This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Wisps of smoke curled on themselves to form overdrawn punctuation over people’s heads. Catey frowned at Julia and said, “Put that out. You know I hate the smell of cigarettes.” Julia used her free hand to flick her brown hair out of her... (more »)
Subsection: Realistic Fiction   18 comments
voted
#9
Counting Snowflakes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When they were six, he was her Co-Captain. He would lie with her in the winter, counting snowflakes until they ran out of numbers, and then they would just watch. It was like falling up, he said once, like we’re falling into the sky. And they... (more »)
27 comments
voted
#10
The Color Of The Inside Of My Mouth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I wipe at my stupid eyes with the back of my hand, and it startles me for a second that my tears are gray. I dunno why it surprised me; I mean, I buy the s***ty mascara that’s $1.99 in the 20 Items or Less checkout lane. Why spend oodles of... (more »)
473 comments
voted
#11
P.S. Don't Save Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
A kid. That’s all I am to him: Trapped in my ­under-developed body. I want to scream, but my mouth is dry. *** His words drown together, lost somewhere between his mouth and my ear, until she nudges me. “… However, Ms. Lock, we... (more »)
Subsection: Realistic Fiction   610 comments
voted
#12
Summer Skin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The cool breeze sifts through my limbs, slipping and sliding through unexplored parts. For a moment the rest of the world slips away, scrubbed clean and absolved by the waves. I’d like to dive into that ocean, feel the water crash down on me,... (more »)
136 comments
voted
#13
All Is Lost In Love and War This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As a Southern boy, I know all about warmth, both physical and emotional. My dad died before I was born, but my mom always had plenty of pictures of him around, and she’d talk about him all the time. She’d constantly tell me that you only get... (more »)
59 comments
voted
#14
Wasted Away This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
She’s never been this cold before. Not the type of cold that aches in your feet and causes convulsions in your jaw; the type of cold that jams up your mind, like a song set on repeat with no power or volume dial to make it stop. Really cold.... (more »)
Subsection: Realistic Fiction   24 comments
voted
#15
Perfect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The eyeliner makes the dark circles less pronounced. The lip gloss hides the trembling. The ponytail conceals missing patches of hair. The Abercrombie sweater covers bruises. I might look at bit thinner, but everyone will ask about my new diet. My... (more »)
Subsection: Realistic Fiction   748 comments
voted
#16
Robert April This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Time passes slowly, or so it seems to a Mr. Robert April, who is counting the seconds with quiet diligence. He sits in a plush armchair looking in front of him with unseeing eyes, for his mind does not care what his eyes perceive to be reality; he... (more »)
9 comments