Dark Room | Teen Ink

Dark Room

October 6, 2016
By Darius_Nobles GOLD, San Angelo, Texas
Darius_Nobles GOLD, San Angelo, Texas
17 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
'Today you are you, and that's truer than true. There's no one alive that's youer than you." Dr. Seuss


There’s a young child sitting in a dark room. Alone. Isolated from the world. He looks around but there’s nothing but darkness. He notices a light that starts to emerge from the end of the hall. The small room he was once in has just became a pit of darkness with a small hope for a light to enter. Although he wants to walk to the light, he knows that he was always meant to stay in the dark. The light begins to grow from beneath the door that seems to become closer to the child, he begins to cry. He knows that once the door is open he can no longer hide in the shadows, the hall has now became a smaller room, cell even. He turns and turns and there’s nothing but dark walls and that shining light. As the door starts to open, the child screams and rushes to lock it, knowing its better to stay in the dark alone then to drag someone from the light.


The author's comments:

I never wrote short stories before, but this story is the story of me. A young kid, isolated from the world, attempting to walk into the light and realize he's exactly where he belongs.