Anschauung | Teen Ink

Anschauung

By msvorinic BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona
msvorinic BRONZE, Gilbert, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Thank you all for attending tonight. This evening represents a powerful move towards peace, prosperity, and love. Our country has sacrificed much to be in this position and I am forever thankful for the opportunity to serve my beloved children. All of you understand the suffering that took place in the generation of your parents, but none understand the fullness of what truly occurred. I am blessed to be your king, your servant. I, Jeremiah, will always love you.”

32 years earlier…

Famine, pain, and tears shadowed the country of Tha Borouse. Eve and her daughter Maria were suffering from stinging temperatures and starving stomachs. Their hut was right outside of Vasileio, where the king resided. The two girls were struck hard by the famine, but were fortunate enough to have a powerful friend care for them. Eve was the victim of rape; six years ago a man destroyed her life, yet through all of the hardships she had always used Maria as a way to escape reality. Her only reason for existence was the product of a travesty. Eve’s little angel was a flower in the midst of dirt, a flower that hoped, but was rebuked time and time again.  The two girls were returning from work that day. Their endless labor comprised of picking crops and hoping for good pay in return, neither of which happened often. Although the two came back to their hut empty-handed, there was a surprise waiting for them.
“Eve, Maria, what an incredible blessing to see you today. I have news,” Jeremiah said.
“You always have news, J.J.” Eve said bluntly.
“Yes you’re right, Eve, but this time I have information that will change your life. I have been asked to be a council member over Dynami!” Eve looked at him with disgust. She held a strong hatred toward the kingdom, especially towards the king himself.
“Pathetic. What has the kingdom ever done for us? Jeremiah, all I do is live to feed my child. I have no hope, no dreams, and no joy! Our king has done nothing but destroyed my life and ripped our country apart! Everything I once knew is gone and it’s his entire fault. You know that. I know that. The whole country knows that.” Jeremiah was heartbroken, not for himself, but rather for the emptiness Maria felt.
“I don’t know what to tell you,” he said painfully. “I know how you feel about the king, how we all feel! Change is coming though. People are tired of giving away eighty-percent of their earnings. I am too!”
“That’s the problem with you type of people; it’s all about numbers, money, and more numbers. What about my daughter! Look at her. She is a starving, pitiful little girl. We both know she will die this coming winter! Tell me this Jeremiah: Why does nobody ever see the king? Where does all of our food go?” Jeremiah’s soul shattered. They both knew Eve was to die this upcoming winter, but reality struck when he realized it was just a short period of time away.
“I’m meeting with the four other council members tonight. The king will be there too. I need to go,” Jeremiah regretfully uttered. Maria’s cold stare was all that she said.
The question of where all the food disappeared haunted him as he walked to dinner. Where did all of it go? Jeremiah had never seen the king himself, which was true for most villagers. The kingdom was located in Vasileio with five regions all under the king’s control. Dynami, where Jeremiah grew up, was the region that suffered the most due to the agriculture tax. Jeremiah and his family were fortunate though, as his dad was one of twenty council dependents. Deputies, as the citizens call them, submit to the leadership of council members, who submit to the king. Jeremiah knew how much of a blessing it was to be a member of the king’s council; he wanted to figure out what was really going on and put an end to the pain and suffering of the country.
He arrived at the castle in shock and awe. Jeremiah could not believe his eyes when he saw it. The glorious, majestic, and mysterious castle…was pitiful. There were no high arching doors, no historic turrets, nothing. He hated it. Jeremiah was disgusted at the king for shattering his delusional image of a castle. I should have known; I am stupid for believing this would actually be something, he thought.
Jeremiah was able to walk right in with no problems. There was no type of security to be found. He felt lost and insecure, but understood that had to be controlled.
“Come in here,” a voice spat. The young council member followed the mystery man into a room with five other men. It was a small area, with four grey walls and a wooden table. The room was incredibly plain, with no uniqueness to offer.
“You know why you are all here. The country is in a great famine right now and the citizens are making their voice known. We must do something about it before an uprising occurs,” the voice spoke.
“How can we eliminate the possibility of an uprising when we have no food? Nobody knows where it has gone! Except for you,” Alexander, council member of Georgia, accused. The five most powerful men, other than the king, had no idea where their food had gone.
“I am the man in charge of agriculture for you, king. I see the abundance of crops we produce. We should have enough provision to last ten years!” roared Alexander. He was a rough man who had been on the council the longest. Alexander was well respected by his colleagues, but never afraid to speak his mind and create conflict.
“He is right, my king. The people, whom I love, are suffering greatly. Young children are dying on the streets, mothers laboring for a lost cause, and fathers leaving their families. Something needs to change,” voiced Tad, member over Zol. He was a quiet man, who never took action unless needed. Few people knew, but Zol was a creepy, mysterious man.
Jeremiah was shocked at the ignorance and concern of the council members. He had never fully realized that they too were people, who truly cared about their people.
“This meeting is over,” uttered the voice.
“What! Are you out of your mind? King, you hate this country, but why? This meeting lasted less than a few minutes and we are already done? What am I to say to my people?” shouted Alexander. The king did not say a word, but gave a cold, emotionless stare. His eyes were beaten and his face skinny and lifeless. The king was a small, disgusting man. This was the first time that Jeremiah had ever seen him. He was not impressed.
“Jeremiah, come with me,” the king voiced. The young council member’s stomach leaped, as he was not expecting it. Fearful and anxious, he followed the frail king.
“What do they say about me, my new member”? the king asked. Jeremiah could not answer the question and the monarch could clearly see that.
“Exactly as I suspected,” the king said with regret. “I brought you here today because I knew your father. He was like a brother to me. The kingdom has suffered greatly without him, as you know.” Jeremiah did not know how to respond; his mouth would not move and his thoughts could not be formed. Anger overcame Jeremiah. How dare the king talk about his father. Jeremiah never knew his dad, but dreamed of him as a hero.
“You don’t want to talk to me then, huh? Well I guess I was wrong about you. You may leave now,” the king said. A pain of guilt and desperation shot Jeremiah in the heart, but he started his way out of the room. He looked back at the king when walking out, but to his surprise he was writing a letter. Jeremiah left the castle immediately.
He was sad. The young council member could not grasp what was wrong with the country. Where is everything? Alexander was right, the people produced masses of food, but no one knew where it went. His mind went to Eve and Maria, how bad were they truly struggling? He admired the strength and courage that Maria possessed; the little angel never complained and always saw life in a positive manner. Jeremiah decided to go see the two girls
“Come in J.J.” Eve said excitedly. Jeremiah had recently returned home from his trip to the kingdom and Maria wanted to hear everything about it. It had been three days since his return and he had thought about everything.
“So, what happened?” she asked.
“You’re going to be disgusted by what you hear, but here it goes. I went to the castle and it was completely run down with very few rooms and no guards. I walked in and was pulled into a room with the four other council members and the king.”
“The king! What did he say? What does he look like?” Eve exclaimed.
“I was just as shocked as you were that he showed up. Anyway, the other council members were yelling at the king about how horrible he was and how no action was being taken. The king just sat there quietly and looked disinterested.”
“Doesn’t surprise me.”
“He then ended the meeting quickly. We were not in the room for even five minutes and he just ended it. Everyone was confused and had no idea what happened.” Maria looked at him with her cold eyes. He knew the words that were going to come out of her mouth.
“I told you,” she muttered. “Why do you never listen to me? These people who run our lives don’t care about us and your story just proved my point!”
“You’re wrong,” he said boldly. “There are men on that council who truly care about their people. The king is the problem, that’s it.” Eve knew he was right. Both knew that there was no reason to fight over a lost cause, at least for this moment.
“How is Eve?” Jeremiah asked.
“She is recovering,” Eve spoke.
“Recovering?” Jeremiah had no idea that Maria was sick at all. Eve went on to explain that her little girl had been suffering from stomach problems due to the food she was eating. It was a horrible disease that even the local doctors could not fix. A miracle occurred, though, as the little flower had woken up one morning and no longer felt ill.
“She woke up without any pain?” Jeremiah asked.
“Exactly,” Eve said. There was some suspicion in her answer, but the council member decided it was best to leave the subject alone.
The suffering mother continued on. “I really don’t know what happened or how it happened. Don’t ask me any questions.” Jeremiah could see that she was clearly distressed. He decided he needed leave, but not before saying goodbye to Maria. Jeremiah walked quietly to her room.
“Maria, are you still awake,” he whispered. There was a short pause.
“I’m here J.J.” she whispered back to him.
“Your mother told me you were sick. Is that right”
“Everyone keeps saying that, but I don’t believe it. I’m strong,” she said. Jeremiah could not speak. The little flower was so innocent, so full of life, yet he felt pain around her. Guilt overtook his mind. He couldn’t take it any longer.
“Goodnight Maria.”
“J.J. can I ask you one question?”
“What is it?” he asked.
“What is our king’s name?” Once again a pang of guilt overtook his heart.
“Aias,” he responded. Jeremiah was then gone in an instant.
Three weeks had gone by since Jeremiah’s visit to King Aias and the two girls. Over this time, the young council member had time to think and witness for himself. He thought about what Maria said, he thought about the other council members, but most of all, he thought about the king. Jeremiah felt anger and hatred towards him, but also compassion and sympathy. What kind of sick, cruel person thought like this? He suppressed his feelings and decided to go see Eve and Maria, the first time in weeks.
As Jeremiah was walking to their house, he felt uneasy about something. He knocked on their door and waited there for a few moments, but no response came. Once again Jeremiah knocked on the door. No answer. He began to feel frightened, this had never happened before.
“Maria? Eve?” he shouted. The house gave no reply to him, so he ran to go around back and walked in. The house was a ghost town, but surprisingly very neat and clean. They must be here, he thought to himself. The young council member was too scared to say any words, so he kept searching through the house. As he was looking in all the rooms, Jeremiah heard heavy breaths. He ran all about the house looking for that sign of life and he finally came across it. His eyes opened in horror as he saw what was in front of him.
“It’s over,” she whispered. Pain struck Jeremiah’s heart; it truly was over for Eve. His soul was ripped to shreds from the ghastly sight. Tears rolled down his eyes, but dryness overcame Eve.
“Hope cannot die though!” he sobbed.
“Hope is dead. My flower is dead. I am dead,” Eve reassured. Little Maria, the flower in the midst of dirt, was gone. Anger and hatred finally took its toll on Jeremiah and led him to infuriation with king Aias.
“He is as good as dead!” roared the council member. Eve gave him a blank, cold stare and Jeremiah left with no more words.
His travel was a blur as he was wrapped in violent thoughts towards the king. Jeremiah came upon the castle with desperation and rage, but no fear.  He walked in and started searching. The castle was incredibly small and Jeremiah knew it was a matter of time before he found the arrogant, disgusting king. Time went by and he could not find him. Jeremiah searched every room, but the king was nowhere to be found. He finally came upon the room that he had first talked with Aias. This is it, he thought, the king will be brought to justice today. Jeremiah could hear a person in the room. He knew it was the king.
The door swung open and Jeremiah could see the little figure at the desk, writing on a piece of paper. He darted towards the figure, but stopped when he saw who it really was.
“Hello, Jeremiah,” muttered Tad. “Unfortunately, the king is no longer with us. He left this note for you, though. I advise you open it immediately.” Tad rose up from his chair, grinned, and left the room. That was the last time Jeremiah saw him.
Once again the young council member was speechless and petrified. He slowly regained his strength and decided to open the letter.
“Jeremiah,
As you know every citizen in the country hates me, as they should. I have been depriving them of their hard earned food for many years. You are the only human being to know the information I am about to tell you, be wise with it. Eight years ago I had a revelation with your father. He came to me in spirit after The Great War and told me that prolonged famine was to strike Tha Borouse after my death. He told me to gather all the food that I could and save it for the king that would reign after me. I love my people, for they are my children. The country rests in your hands now, King Jeremiah. Be wise, loving, and most of all sacrifice your soul to the country, just as I did.
King Aias”
Jeremiah was stunned. He felt betrayed by himself. His mind was in a trance for hours to come. Time passed and the new king did not move. It finally came to him, though. After so many experiences of never being able to formulate words, he now knew the right thing to say.
“Maria, I am blessed to be your king, your servant. I, Jeremiah, will always love you.

Anschauung- direct or immediate intuition or perception of sense data with little or no rational interpretation. This short story presents an interesting scenario between poor, rich, and ultimate authority. A common theme in todays society is misunderstanding and immediate perception of a situation, as suggested by the title. In the beginning of the story, one assumes that the king is a horrible human being who has no care for human life, but throughout the story his character is revealed more and more. Jeremiah is presented as a wholesome and innocent person, but at the end of the story we can see his anger overcome him. He mourns over his childish decision to try and end the king’s life, but comes to a realization from it. Jeremiah realizes that to be in a powerful position one must accept that hatred, loneliness, and sacrifice will be the core of  life. He accepts this challenge after time in contemplation. The message to be read is that leaders are going to be criticized and slandered, but the hope and love within that leader should overcome the anger and hatred and produce a strong, caring individual.