Death by Twelve

It all seemed like a normal day to me. I woke up, took the dog out, and went to school. A gentle snow fell and sprinkled the cold ground. I approached the schools old, rusty doors, and began to pull. The foyer was eerily quiet and damp. That was strange, usually the school was buzzing with kids. Oh God, I had to be late! I ran to my locker and fumbled with the lock and grabbed what I thought I needed. I shoved the door open and said, 'Sorry I'm late Mr. Redey.' I glanced up. No one seemed to be seated, actually, no one was in the class at all. Maybe I was in the wrong room. Exiting the classroom, I darted across the hall to another class. Again, no one. Now I was getting nervous. Today is Monday, right? I ran down the hall to each room, only one person was in the entire school'Victoria. Some people call her evil, but she is my best friend. She reminds me of Victoria from Twilight. 'Vic?' I asked. 'The end is near for you,' was all she said. Then she stood up and left. Okay, freaky. I glanced at the clock on the wall, it was 9 a.m. precisely. I was horrified. I ran home.

I reached my front porch, squatted down, and scampered under my porch. Adults say it's dangerous under there, but I do it all the time. Oh great! I forgot, my mom and dad are at work and my grandma lives a mile or so away. I am utterly alone until 6 tonight. That's right, I thought, Amy's house! I dashed across the street and barged in Amy's front door. I tried to hold back, I really did, but I just couldn't help it and as soon as I saw Amy's mom, I began to sob uncontrollably. I flung myself in her arms. 'What the heck happened to you?' she asked. I told her everything. By that time, Amy had clopped down the stairs. She looked confused. I re-told my story. Afterwards, Amy's mom asked if I wanted to spend the night. 'Yes,' I replied, my voice still shaky from crying. I was surprised, I expected it to sound squeaky.

Amy had been gone somewhere. 'She went to get your stuff,' Amy's mom noticed I was worried. I like Amy's mom, just like my mom, she has a different way of putting things. Amy's parents had gotten a divorce when Amy was ten. Sometimes I can tell it still bothers Amy. No sooner than I had started daydreaming, Amy had returned with my things. She grabbed my hand and dragged me down the hall to her room.

Amy's room is a faded, yellowish color, but you would never know considering all the pink decorations and punk monkey posters. I threw my things beside her bed. 'Wait a sec, what does that note say?' I picked it up and instinctively dropped after I saw what it said. Amy read it aloud, there were only six words and they read: 'The end is near for you.'

With that, everything went black. When I awoke, I was in Amy's living room covered with an old discolored blanket. Amy was sitting in a chair beside me. I sat up. Boy was I hungry, 'I'm famished.' Amy stood up and left. She came back with a piece of bread and a cup steaming liquid. 'Apple soup' she said in a French accent. We both cracked up. My phone vibrated in my pocket. I pulled it out. I had a new text message, it was something I had already heard, the text said: 'The end is near 4 U.' 'Great, another creep sending me strange messages,' I giggled nervously, although I knew exactly who sent it. 'What?' Amy asked. 'Some creep,' I replied.

By now, I was totally petrified. Amy and I headed upstairs to get some rest. 'Psssst,' we heard coming from outside the house. We ran to the window. Victoria was just standing there, 'The end is near for you both,' she whispered, 'fear not, but heed my warning!' I ran downstairs and out the back door. She was completely gone. By the time I got back upstairs, I was more annoyed than afraid. I mean, what was she talking about? She wasn't making any sense. Amy asked me something, but I was too tired. I lied down on the floor and fell fast asleep.

The next morning I heard Victoria's call. I shook Amy awake. 'She's back!' Amy groaned and got up. We threw on whatever clothing we could find and ran outside. 'AAAAAAHHHHHH,' we screamed as we fell for what it seemed to be an eternity. Everything went black and silent. With my eyes still closed, I heard someone say, 'Very well done, Victoria.' With that, I opened my eyes and as soon as I saw what was in front of me, I wished I had kept them closed. There stood the devil, himself, and his daughter, Victoria! 'Oh my God!' I thought. I had to still be asleep, I must be dreaming. Victoria approached me and kicked me as hard as she could to the other side of the room. 'I told you to heed my warning, and not fear me, but you didn't listen and now you will pay the price.' 'Amy,' I called in a hoarse voice. I glanced up and saw her there, unmoving on the floor. No! Oh God, please, no. Please God, don't let her be dead.

It took everything I had to crawl over to her. Ouch! My leg must have broken from the force of the kick. Before I could reach Amy, Victoria came back at me with another sharp kick, this time in the head. I don't know how long I lay there with blood draining from my head. Let's just say Amy will not be wearing that white sweater ever again. I heard footsteps approach. Someone scooped my body from the floor and dropped me only a few feet away directly on my broken leg. 'Amy,' I called. There was no reply.

I was too drained to do anything, I just lie there counting my deep long breaths. I was up to breath number 312 when I heard more footsteps. Quickly, they grabbed me and carried me somewhere, but I was too afraid to open my eyes after seeing the devil for the first time. I heard mumbling, but I couldn't understand the words.

I felt the floor shake as something, or someone was slammed really hard against it. I opened my eyes to see Victoria lying there. Amy was looking at me, 'Hey, you alright?' 'No, Amy we're in H-E-double hockey stick!!' 'We can get out of here now,' Amy said. 'No! I replied' 'What do you mean 'no' ?' asked Amy, a little confused. 'We can't leave Victoria.' 'She got us into this mess! She is the daughter of Satan!' Amy screamed. I bent down where Victoria had fallen and gently lifted her head. She was lifeless. I felt my eyes well up with tears. I began to cry. The only best friend I had was dead. Even if she was evil, she was my best friend.

I looked at the three holes that nearly made it through Victoria's body, 'YOU! You did this. To your own daughter!,' I yelled as I looked the devil in the eyes. To this day, I have no idea how I did it, but before he could blink, I grabbed his pitchfork and I Jammed it into his body as hard as I could. I ran as fast as I could to the portal.

Even now, as I sit at her funeral, I think about that moment. The preacher just read the last few words of the eulogy. I shall always feel the guilt of practically killing her myself. I still remember the time of her death; 12 p.m. Death by twelve. I shall always hold the note she left me in my pocket.

HelloSkyline said...
Mar. 2, 2012 at 8:22 am:
I really liked this. But, it's too straight to the point. You should have spaced it out a bit. Add more detail, you know? Good job, though :DD

AheartWithaLove said...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 12:51 am:
I loved it!!!! It's sometime i would love to read everyday. the eery sense in the whole thing keeps you reading.

AnnMarie said...
Mar. 24, 2009 at 1:50 am:
Nice story!!!!! I really liked it!!!!!Love ya

ScaryMonkey said...
Mar. 20, 2009 at 3:15 pm:
Great story. Very scary and I loved the use of descriptive words for your age group. Continue to create and grow! Keep up the good work!!

joannetika567 said...
Mar. 20, 2009 at 12:18 am:
Concise,grabbed my interest.I think she'll go places.