Hellish Nightmare: Part 1 | Teen Ink

Hellish Nightmare: Part 1

By Shadab8097 BRONZE, London, Other
Shadab8097 BRONZE, London, Other

It starts out all pitch black.
  It always does.
  I can't see my hands in front of me, have no idea where I am, how I got here. Confused, tired and hungry, I search around, tripping on god knows what, calling out for help. But no one replies. After hours of searching and tripping, my legs finally give out. Frustrated, I scream as loud as I can, until my lungs are out of breath, my throat is soar. Then I just sit there, weeping for sometime.
  Until I hear the scratching noise.
  I sit up, alert. Where was that noise coming from?
  "Hello?" I moan weakly.
  No one answers. The soft scratching noise goes on. 
  "Is anyone there?" I ask again. The noise is driving me crazy now. I stand up. Suddenly, the scratching noise stops. Holding my breath, I listen intently, when I feel a cold, stinging breath on the back of my neck. A shiver runs down my spine. Behind me, there is a moan, which turns into a hostile, hungry growl. I don’t turn around. I don't need to. I know what's there.
  I run. Someone behind me starts to chase me. Not someone, but something. After ages, as I'm about to give up, just let that thing consume me, ending the loneliness, pain, insanity, I spot something in the distant.
  A light.
  I feel a warm tingle inside me, something I haven't felt in a long time. Hope. Not giving up, I drag myself the last few meters, when I realize the noises stopped. There is no scratching, no growling. I grin. Finally, I've lost it. I've survived. Maybe this is just a nightmare. I'll soon wake up.
  As I get closer to the light source, I spot a smudged figure standing there.
  The figure turns around and looks at me. It smiles. "Hello, darling," it whispers, "where have you been?"
  I realize that voice. That kind, sweet voice. I also know that if that voice laughed, it would sound like a dolphin. "Mom?" I  can barely believe this. My Mom is here. I'm safe. "Where are we, Mom?"
  "Oh, Stan, I've been so lonely. Come closer, son. Please."
  I shuffle closer. "Mom, what is this place?"
  "This?" there is a twinkle in my Mom's icy blue eyes. "Stan, welcome to hell."

To be continued...