The Color Of The Inside Of My Mouth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I wipe at my stupid eyes with the back of my hand, and it startles me for a second that my tears are gray. I dunno why it surprised me; I mean, I buy the s***ty mascara that’s $1.99 in the 20 Items or Less checkout lane. Why spend oodles of green on something I hardly ever use?

I just wanted to look nice, you know? Like those girls who’re just naturally fake pretty. The girls who can blend shades of eyeshadow like no one’s business, and match their lipstick to the exact color of their toenail polish or whatever. Seemingly effortless, yet impeccably coordinated.

This is good stuff, I should write for a living – solely on the subject of beauty queens with superiority complexes, of course.

I just want … God, what do I want? I want to feel the sun on my face and paint the clouds and hear the music in the trees and love myself and love someone else and just feel perpetually beautiful.

But that requires the $14.99 waterproof, fire-retardant, Grade-5-hurricane-resistant mascara, not the tube that’s two bucks in Lane 4.

My shoes are dirty and outdated, but that’s how I like them. I like these shoes. They’re comfortable. Why do I need new, expensive, fashionably appealing shoes in order for someone to say, “Hey dogg, you look nice today”?

And why is it that whenever I get deathly bored and slather cheap, pore-clogging makeup all over my face everyone suddenly says, “Wow, you look pretty!”? Since when is “pretty” about whale blubber and cocoa butter?

I’ll tell you one thing, though. I most definitely am not crying about some stupid XY.

Definitely not.

I’m crying for all the whales that have to give up their fatty insulation so that some fugly anorexic super bitch can paint herself pretty every freaking day, giving him something halfway decent to oggle all the time.

Seriously, I’m not leaking saltwater over a guy.

I just think it’s cruel and unfair that the fat-endowed marine life population doesn’t even get the slightest warning that they’ll soon be on a cosmetics endcap at K-Mart.

He could have at least broken it to me gently, you know? We’ve been friends since the George Bush/Al Gore debacle.

I mean come the Bette Midler on.

I spill my blood, guts, and viscera out to this guy and he throws down the “Let’s just be friends” card without a second thought?

It’s just … it’s common courtesy to ease someone into heartbreak, not smash it over their head like a whiffleball bat.

You know what? I’m going to take my $1.99 checkout Lane 4 mascara and chuck it right at her big, stupid square head.

a.e.alwaysThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was amazing! I can definatly relate to this right now. plus, your writing is so easy to keep up with and very unique. if you could, please comment and rate on my piece "falling in love"

elites5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is so well written and so many people can relate to this. Guy always go for girls that wear make up and revealing clothes. What can you do? :) can u comment on some of my work?

TreesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love your writing, and I understand completely what you are talking about.  I don't understand why guys fall for the girls who are fake and trend followers.  It seems there is no originality at my school anymore.  

midgetswillruleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 28, 2012 at 10:55 am :
shes right. no one is brave enough to be different. independent

TickTockBANGThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:23 pm:
I want to be friends with you. You just seem like one of those people who are effortlessly witty and exciting and just frickin' cool. Plus, I love how you write.

chrissie said...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:07 pm:
I like your style of writing - it was really funny and easy to follow. keep it up

RoseAndThornThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm:
I am inpresed by your style and charactor in this piece. I enjoyed how you threw together problems with girls and their their male counterparts with the topic of exploiting nature for our makeup. Even I use a lot of makeup, but at least I have the curtisy to be interested in nature-friendly products. Your humor and wit really pull this piece together, and your messages come across as enjoyable.

KutieBabyDoll<3 said...
May 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm:
That's The Truth No Barbie Doll is Better than the real thing :) loved the article.

J1029This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 18, 2012 at 9:28 am:
It's better to love and have lost than to never have loved at all. I wish people would take a better look at me than walk past to the Barbie doll girl

skyblue95 said...
May 18, 2012 at 7:01 am:
Ok, so, on Monday my ex boyfriend broke up with me. The night before (Sunday), he told me he loved me and wanted to be with me forever. Then on Monday he told me he doesn't like me as much as I like him... I was so dumbfounded because of what he told me the night before, and he said he "just wants to be friends". So I can definitely relate to this. You are such an awesome writer! Keep up the good work! :) Also, could you check out some of my work and rate/comment on it? I could really use the fe... (more »)

Darbs1325This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jeep up the good work!!!!! :D

FlashlevitationThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really enjoyed this because of how you redirected the moment and in the end faced what you really felt that you had to say. I love the descriptions and the humor within your words

PeaceHeartCC said...
Wow, this is REALLY good! I like how you said this is from your journal; it definitely helped my perspective on the piece. I also like how you took on the topic creatively. Great job! :)

Aliescha L. said...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:20 am:
You did an amazing job, keep writing!!!!!!!!

Zuccini75 said...
...Stupid XY - Fantastic writing! The message is clear, the humor is good too! :)

Dirty-Hobolo33This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:49 am:
I loved this so much. Awesome job!

vazenitran98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm:
This explains how sometimes,money can't buy things that can change who you are. This explains it all. You did an exceptional job.

smileygirl said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm:
Very Nice! I love your expressions, haven't had my heart broke yet but it sounds like it sucks.

pickles_the_kitten said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm:
Beautiful. I wish more girls were like you. and remember, that no matter what, you're beautiful. (certified cheesy) ;D

samm513 said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm:
luv it, dont get the title tho