Laka's story | Teen Ink

Laka's story

December 23, 2015
By jeniferramires8 SILVER, Chowchilla, California
jeniferramires8 SILVER, Chowchilla, California
8 articles 7 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up


“Desperta Laka ,desperta!” mommy says, shoving and pushing me to wake up. I can’t breath. I see an orange light roaring through my home town Chala , Smoky air, screaming,  and an engine starting up. Suddenly my window breaks ,glass shatters everywhere ,I see what was thrown “ Una lanza” weird shape, holes over it ,and bonely looking. “Laka ya Vamonos.”She didn’t even let me take stuff.  “Whats happening” I say. “ Laka Callate go to the bus now!” I listened and went down the stairs and out to the back my heart beats faster and faster , sweat coming down my face. I was never a good runner nor liked exercising. I get outside I felt some kind of fear. I quickly get to the bus and sit down. I catch a look at the dark.. Shoken by what I saw. “ I thought they didn’t exist!” My brother chumo says. Half human and half fish leaps out of the ocean onto land. “That's the spear that went through my window” I tell chumo. “ What are you talking about.” Chumo says looking half scared. “That thing it’s holding in its hand” I say.  “ Nooooo, Lita” I cried out. My brother stops me from going after my best friend out in the street. “ She's long gone Laka by that thing through her chest.” Chumo says.  My mummy and dad come running to the bus.” Chumo Start driving now fast!” My Baby sister crying in my mother's arms , father carrying supplies ,as they get into the bus. People yell for help and run to the bus as we past by, but chumo doesn’t stop.”  “Mummy what are they going to do we are the only transportation around here.” I say.  “ MIja  we need to worry about us and get away from the ocean.” mummy said.  Pain hits my face hard, i hear the squealing of the brakes. “ Que hastes Chumo go on ,don’t wait for people!” Mummy says. “ Get on quickly now!” Chumo yells. Two families I recognize gets on. My brother starts going on while the last one got on the steps and  doesn't even wait for them to sit down. First family Alberto y Elisa , Victor and Victoria [ twins my age] mostly all chubby and short with dark long black hair..Second family Cain y Pathy, and Rose [Chumos girlfriend] all fairly tall and Spaniard. Then a loud wet sound hits the open window. The rubber looking, snake like hair, and  Grayish skin creature reaches out its hand. ” Move Cain!” Dad yells. Loud ringing hurts my ears. The creature sets a loud cry  killing my ears even worst. My dad put his  shotgun down. We are 10 minutes away from the bay area safe now.  “ Cain your eyes are bleeding!” Pathy yells. Even in the dark you can see the clear shiny liquid pouring down from his head and the deep marking on his throat. He turns his head in a complete turn. “ Demon!” Alberto says, holding  to his gold rosary. “Dios te Salve, Reina y madre de misericordia ,vida….” Alberto prays on and on. Cain red glowing eyes turn to him. Loud ringing again hurt my ears. “Eww.”  I feel the warm liquid on my face.
It’s been three years since the “outbreak” happened the so Americans call it. Now 1,000 miles away from Arizona. Now living in the forest  just find out what other creature there are the  human mini apes. They took many of us they are very vicious animals. Ke-kes live in the forest , jungles , and any place with many trees. Now only my brother Chumo , Alberto, Rose , and one twin Victor remains, the rest were taken by the Ke-Kes. We have a small built room out of rocks, especially made for praying on one of its side a huge red and blue cross. And small tent shade we have gotten in one of my dad’s searches.
“Come on Laka we need to hurry before sunset” Victor says. I turn and pick up the last one and start heading to camp. My arms aching with pain as we get there. “How many did you collect today?” Chumo asks. We don’t use Spanish anymore since our parents' death. “Three rabbits and two squirrels.”I say. “ Get two rabbits ready for the fire the rest will be for tomorrow.” Chumo has taken the job as the leader since Alberto wasn’t manly enough , he was mostly like our priest during praying time. “Hey Rose how are you feeling.” I ask. “ Hola, better now ,the baby was kicking ,it will almost be time Chumo want to get there for when it's time.” She says. “Laka go collect some sticks for the fire!” Chumo yells from atop of the tree.
I think to myself while collecting sticks how would life be if the outbreak never happen, I bet I would have married by now. Like I am eighteen now Chumo’s only twenty-two and with a kid on the way. I pause and listen for the sound again. something was coming on the path. “Hey ,hola , yo hablo Espanol.” she says to me. I quick draw my gun at her “What do you want?” I threaten her. “You really don’t know who you are messing with ,i can help I know the way to safe state ,I saw your camp earlier that pregnant lady would need attention in a few weeks.” She says. Wow she did look tough for a girl shouldn’t mess with her, she looked fast and was very muscular from top to bottom we'll need someone like her plus she had two long swords on her back and many small ones on the legs ,waist, and arms. “ Follow me.” I say still pointing my gun at her. “Ok if you say so.” she says laughing.
“Who the hell is that Laka, what are you thinking bringing strangers here!” Chumo Yells at me, “Chill it vato,  you savior is here, so deal with it jerk!” she roughly responses. “Who do you think you are to come here and answer to me like that!” Chumo says pissed off.  “Well with that baby on the way you need to get to the safe state and I got the way in!” she answers back.. “Maybe she is right Chumo and let's take that chance to go we can’t be here forever the crying of the baby will bring the ke-kes.” Rose responds. “Fine where would you lead us to?” Chumo asks. “Twenty miles up north is my truck it won’t be easy I just made it through trying to find one of my members which I found dead, we need to leave tomorrow morning.” she says.
We go to the pray spot and listen to Alberto. “God please be with us in this journey to keep the demons away and protect us from the bad creatures that want to do harm to us, for we are still grateful that we are alive. Thank you for bringing us Jackie to help us to our journey………” Alberto keeps going on and on. “Why do you guys still pray it's obviously god abandon us  if it's calling for protection from the demons, then you guys are wrong ,I have a necklace with a pendant that's keeps them away.”Jackie says. I ignore her she doesn't know what she's talking about. “Amen may god be with you.”Alberto says.
Loud banging sounds “Everyone wake up it's time to start walking.”Jackie says. The sun wasn’t even up seem like five in the morning. “leave everything we need to travel light if we want to get there before sundown, only take food ,water ,and weapons.
We go deeper into the woods, which i have never been. The huge trees and plants around us. You can see that someone has been in this cleared path before. “You have to be quiet in these parts the humanons are near I killed one on the way.” Jackie says.  “Ugg it hurts, can we rest for a bit.” Rose asks. “No not until we get there we won’t do it in the forest in the dark only ten more miles.” Jackie says. “She is right Rose but I’ll carry you it's going to take time, but at least we will be moving.”Chumo say and carries her on his back. Then at five miles left and about early noon we heard noises all around us it's weird because earlier you couldn’t even hear birds chirping. “It over there on my right.” Jackie whispers. “No to your left there is many by the sound of it.” I whisper. “We are going to have to fight them off by the sound of it there is three or four Victor and Laka get your weapons, no guns it will only bring more I will work on the front to protect the rest so they can make it as for you still back to back.”Jackie says.  I get my katana out and put it in front of me Victor does the same. “Here they come!” Jackie yells. The first appears in the front near Jackie she slices its head like nothing. “eeee uuuu” creature attacking sound. I hear four other coming on coming to Jackie she terminates it quickly. Then one to Victor which put the sword into the creature's chest, then two come to my way.  I shove my sword to the first ones chest  i try to pull my sword back, but it's stuck I try to kick the next one out to give me more time to pull my sword out but that creature grabs into my leg. “Awwww help Jackie,” I cry for help. My leg in pain, bleeding, I lose my balance and fall. I kick the creature out , but it was all a blur, I see it coming from my chest I turn my head.” She's long gone come on before it calls the others we need to go.”  Jackie says. The last image I see them running away and the blood squirting out of my chest.