Thanksgiving Woes | Teen Ink

Thanksgiving Woes

By sknerr GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
sknerr GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott

Ricky, a janitor from Omaha, leaves to visit his father for Thanksgiving. His father lives in a home for abusive seniors in Calgary. However, not actually having a drivers license, Ricky avoids Interstates and highways by taking weird back roads. When he finally reaches his father’s residence on Thanksgiving Day, his father isn’t there, and a representative from the place tells Ricky he broke out of the home to go caving in Arkansas. In pursuit of his father, Ricky’s car breaks down, so he hijacks a backhoe and rushes along major roads 30 miles over the speed limit to reach him before Thanksgiving dinner. He becomes wanted in seven states. Finally he locates his father, and they have Thanksgiving dinner at a diner on the side of the highway. There was a brief bonding moment between Ricky and his father, but after about 15 minutes get into a heated argument over a club soda, and are kicked out the diner for immature conduct. The backhoe had been towed away from the diner, so Ricky and his father hitchhike with a group of clowns heading to a performance in Butte, Montana. But the driver of the clown truck is drunk, and he slams the truck into an exit sign. Ricky gets whiplash, but his father is intact, so his father leaves and Ricky spends Thanksgiving night in a local hospital.

This is an outline for the first part of a story I might try to write. Ay suggestions or comments would be appreciated! :)