A New Fable | Teen Ink

A New Fable

October 14, 2015
By mylifeasapincushion GOLD, Redlands, California
mylifeasapincushion GOLD, Redlands, California
14 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Extremist have shown what frightens them most: A girl with a book"
-Malala Yousafzai


A king wanted his daughter to be married. The princess however, had no intention of marrying  just anyone and so asked here father to issue a challenge for her hand. He agreed, and it was announced thoughout the kingdom that any who answered a riddle could take the Princess' hand in marraige. Soon a line slithered from the door of the castle as suitors from far and wide prepared for a battle of wits.

As the heavy golden door creaked open the Princess saw her first courter, he was beautiful. His hair was a (carefully planned) nonchalent curly mop, he had piercing blue eyes, and his skin was kissed by the sun. He was almost to pretty for the Princess' taste.

Intrigued, she stepped forward and delivered the riddle, "How does one think the unthinkable?"

The man tilted his head to the right and pondered. He laughed awkwardly and smiled "Uh, can you repeat the question?"

With a weak smile, the Princess repeated, "How does one think the unthinkable?"

And so the handsome prince answered, "Um... You don't, those things are opposites" his voice rose at the end of the sentence as though the answer was obvious.

The king sighed and dismissed the handsome prince. A few more people came and left, none of their answers pleasing the Princess. The next person to enter though, carried a completely different demeanor. They wore long flowing robes and carried a book in their left hand. Dark curly hair coming down to their shoulders.

"So tell me, how do you think the unthinkable?" Asked the Princess.

The Professor answered clearly and succinctly, "The only road to thinking the unthinkable, is by knowing that which others don't think."

The Princess, genuinely disappointed, dismissed her newest conquest; another wrong answer. Hours passed, the same question asked to every suitor and every one answering either incoherently or incorrectly. At last the sun set. The King and Princess rose to retire when a final knock on the door stopped them. The Princess smiled to herslef, this was the first of the group to no invite themselves in. She nodded to the gaurd who opened the door to the final courter in the kingdom. The King gasped.

Phillip, a simple stable boy, stood behind it. Dressed in dirty clothes, and exhausted from the day's work. His face lit up at the sight of the Princess.

the question was asked a final time, "How does one think the unthinkable?"

The stable boy laughed to himself, shaking his head and chuckling he answered,

"With an Itheberg."

At last the Princess embraced a suitor.

Moral: Humor and wit, far outweigh physical charectoristics,


The author's comments:

Think about it...