Forever | Teen Ink

Forever

June 5, 2015
By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
86 articles 11 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus


“Man, you’re crazy,” one of the boys shouted, laughing drunkenly as he slapped his friend’s shoulder.  The other boy grunted at the others, making a right turn on Ridge Avenue.  He sat in silence, fury burning in his eyes.

 

“Common Elyar!  Have a bit of fun, babe,” the girl shouted, giggling and hiccuping as she leaned against the boy who had previously shouted.  She leaned forward a bit placing a hand on Elyar and the passenger’s shoulders, kissing her boyfriends cheek sloppily.  “You need to relax, baby.  Pull over!  I’ll help you unwind a bit.”

 

Her breath smelt of beer and strawberry daiquiris.  She was drunk, far beyond that actually.  The passenger, a boy a few years older than all of the other passengers, pushed her hand off of his shoulder, grumbling under his breath.

 

“Elyar, I love you.  You are my brother.  But control your damn girlfriend!”  The girl pouted, leaning forward more and putting her hand on the wheel, trying to turn it.  Elyar hissed, struggling to get control back.

 

“Stop it, Jinny!  Max!  Grant!  Help me before we end up in a ditch,” Elyar shouted, trying to control the now swerving car as more hands fumbled for the wheel and the girl.  The car screeched on the wet road, mixing with shouts, along with the drunken giggles and chuckles from passengers.

 

“Elyar-”  The passenger's shout, Max’s shout, was cut short by Jinny swinging the wheel around and the car spinning out of control, tumbling trunk over hood over and over.  Screams filled the car, replacing the giggles and chuckles that had previously been heard.

 

Cracking glass and crumpling metal.  Breaking bones and sickening gags.  Smashing plastic and decreasing screams.  The car finally stopped, rolling over one time onto it’s side.  The air was dead silent for a moment.  The final shards of glass falling to the ground and making small chiming sounds, completely innocent compared to what they really meant.

 

“M-Max?”  The croak was quiet, barely audible.  Again, the surrounding air was silent and still.  Then, there was a shuffling noise and a groan.  “M-Max, w-wake up!  Jinny- a-are you okay?  G-Gr-ant?”

 

The dead silence that met the questions was interrupted by shrill sirens in the distance.  A quiet sob accompanied the wailing sirens.

 

“Max!  Wake up!”

 

He never did.  They never did.  There was one survivor in that crash.  The EMS team pulled out one boy, kicking and screaming, calling for his brother, best friend, and girlfriend. 

 

The thing is, they were gone forever.
 


The author's comments:

This story was originally written for the series of short stories titled Glimpse.  The series was designed to give readers a glimpse of another person's life.  Forever happens to be a sadder one, but one of my favorites due to what it's about.  It was inspired by a program at my high school called Every 15 Minutes.