Do You Remember? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

June was you by the pool. The day we first met, remember? I thought you were just one of those brawny lifeguard guys – you know the type: pretend to be all sweet, save the little kid from drowning, then go out and get totally hammered at night. I paid no ­attention to you, thought you were one of the heartbreakers, the ones I couldn’t care less about. But you had that smile with the dimples, and you came over just to offer me a watermelon Jolly Rancher. My favorite flavor. How did you know? That’s when I knew you were different.

July. August. After work we’d spread ourselves out on the field and drown in the sun, laugh at all those stupid jokes that aren’t even funny anymore. Why did we laugh so much back then?

Your studio, an explosion of color with your paintings enclosing you like a corral. Sometimes they made me jealous, when you saw them more than you saw me, but I loved them all the same. I loved that one of the beautiful girl with the long black hair, the one who looked so sad, but you wouldn’t say who she was. You’d never say. I’ll never know. So many secrets locked up in that little box of yours. You were fun, but you were serious.

“I want to be painted like that,” I said, because the painting was so beautiful. And you said, “Okay. Let’s do it.”

I still have that painting of me, by the way. You can only see half my face in it. “Why is that?” I asked. You shrugged. Another secret.

September. October. I love October. And you loved it too. When the leaves dance on the sidewalk and twirl through the air, when the world bleeds orange and red, and the air is like your stepmom’s apple crisp. We breathed it in together. We stood on the hill and closed our eyes, stretched our arms and spun around like five-year-olds, forgetting there was a world below. We listened to the wind whisper our names.

October was when we took the train downtown. It was fun that day, I don’t remember why. We skipped school (that was when school didn’t matter) and we rode downtown with your easels and paper and chalk and pencils, and we were going to draw fall. We drew the houses and trees, little kids flying a kite in the park, a mother duck and her ducklings wading through a river, a man asleep on a park bench, a maple leaf crisper than your stepmom’s apple crisp.

And you said, “Fall is a bit sad.”

And I asked why, and you said, “I dunno. It means summer’s over. It’s like ­losing something you can’t have back, like love.”

And I said, “But summer always comes back, doesn’t it?” And you said maybe.

We raked up a pile of leaves with a stick. We made this really big pile, laughing and running around it, losing half the leaves ’cause we’d stuff them in each other’s hair and shirts. We held hands, almost afraid to jump, like little kids taking their first dive into the deep end. One, two, three, go! And we sank into the big orange bed together.

I remember your easel that I carved my initials into. I remember the dimples on your cheeks, the eyes that were always on me. Your worn-out copy of The Great Gatsby that you read to me sometimes, and your plaid red scarf. I have that scarf, by the way. I wish it still smelled like you.

It’s October again, and the leaves are still dancing and the geese are still singing their good-bye song, and the bullfrog doesn’t sing because the pond’s almost frozen over. I wore your scarf yesterday as I rode the train downtown. I crossed the street to the park where we made the bed of leaves, and I tried to remember exactly where it was. And fall feels a little sad this year, like losing love.

I’m waiting to see if the summer comes back.

jealousofamar said...
i liked it:) was good

jealousofamar replied...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm :
except it lacked all emotions. you made it feel like the girl had no mind or meaning behind her words, that she was just talking to talk.

DreamWeaverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:27 pm :
i thought the way the author did it was unique and really had the readers thinking.

NYClove13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 8:18 am:

I absolutely love this!  I especially love the part when you say...

"And you said, “Fall is a bit sad.”

And I asked why, and you said, “I dunno. It means summer’s over. It’s like losing something you can’t have back, like love.”

And I said, “But summer always comes back, doesn’t it?” And you said maybe."

That was genius !

LeahMaria said...
Wow, this is a really amazing piece of work, I absolutely love it.

paigeturner9 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm speechless...this is so beautiful! I almost started crying

CameandgonesmartyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 10:46 am:

This is so sad and so sweet.

U r so talented

I'm tagging this as a favourite

clumsyteardropper said...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 9:28 am:
aww... it's so sweet!  it's that love that you want to have, but can't keep.  i wonder what happened to him.  that is so sad...... i lost him too.  i can really relate.

mercebeinyata said...

It was sad, but I liked the descriptive adjectives.

Also, could everyone please take a look at my 1st posted fiction article on the site? It is called "Purple-Face Tom."

cookiegirl said...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 7:38 am:
Great description, and it's beautiful.

nai.n.n. said...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 12:14 am:
beautiful, simply beautiful.

asheyknees123 said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm:
wow. there are tears on my eyes. great description. great sentence structure. and i LOVE the first sentence. Great job. 

novella said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 7:17 am:
stunning! even though i could tell just from the first few sentences it would end sadly, i wanted to keep reading. you have an amazing talent to keep someone hooked :)

place4pluto replied...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm :
This story is so beautiful! I read it twice, even though the ending was sad. PLEASE KEEP WRITING!

citylightsgirl93 said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm:
this was written almost perfectly, like a girl who gave everything lost everything too. It was beautiful. Never stop writing.

LittleMiss said...
May 30, 2011 at 11:11 pm:
I could see the entire thing playing out in my head. Beautiful is really the only word for it. Heart-braking, almost; you can tell from the start that it ends in sadness, but yet somehow you feel compelled to keep reading.

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm:
this is so beautiful. it made my heart ache. in a good way :P

Maren.um said...
May 30, 2011 at 7:31 pm:
i got chills! really sweet and realistic.

krarthurs said...
May 30, 2011 at 1:09 pm:
This was very deep and powerful. I loved it very much. Excellent job.

Mitra said...
May 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm:
this gave me goosebumps, i absolutely love it:)

Curly... said...
May 8, 2011 at 9:24 am:
amazing... I absolutely loved it! Keep up the good work!!